Paint for Fiberglass? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #1

Name: kevin
Trailer: havasu
Oregon
Paint for Fiberglass?

I'm in the process of refurbishing my Havasu and I want to paint it. The products I've found thus far that I'm considering trying are "White Knight" for the outside and an insulating paint called "Insuladd" on the inside. Has anyone tried either of these products? Any feedback you wish to share? Any other products you've had positive experiences with you care to enlighten me with? I don't think I have it in me to try and build and interior wall or glue on insulation (unless it's cheap and easy) so that's why I'm considering a paint on insulation. I'm just worried it might crack with all the movement, etc. Maybe "White Knight" on the outside AND inside? Would appreciate any thoughts/ suggestions/feedback ya'll might have for me...

Kevin
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Kevin, Welcome to Fiberglass, glad you joined us!

I have no experience in painting fiberglass, but have read that many recommend marine paint. Like they use to paint boats...... But I am sure other's have used most paint options. So you can do a search for other options. Just put painting fiberglass, egg, trailer, in the search box above and there should be lot's of info for you.

But if your looking for something that works with fiberglass, I would assume boat paint would

We would love to see pictures of your trailer and your reno in progress!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
True marine paint is expensive, hard to work with and designed for a different environment. I don't know what folks have used but am interested as I may do some minor spot touch up on my egg.

As for wax, read this thread. Not sure how it will work over your art work but am pretty sure some of these are painted trailers.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Here's a thread that probably gives more if info and methods for painting fiberglass than you thought possible

Do a search, there are many more!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ior-26260.html

Welcome to the forum!

Spanke
Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
Here's a thread that probably gives more if info and methods for painting fiberglass than you thought possible

Do a search, there are many more!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ior-26260.html

Welcome to the forum!

Spanke
After reading that thread I stand corrected on hard to use. I never considered rolling it on rather than spray. But I did use small rollers to paint my school bus conversion and that turned out pretty good so....

It did answer my question Enamel will work, I'm just using an eraser to put drop of paint in some chips and might do a little blended spray work on a couple of small spots for now.

But did add that thread to my bookmarks, thanks for providing.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wait... we have two different discussions going here. One that wants new paint on the outside and one that wants to preserve something that's already on the outside.

Be sure you are replying to the correct question. A moderator should probably split this topic...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I split the other post s to a new thread here
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post306620
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

Chuck says this, which is a lot like the Havasu: Professional Exterior Painting by Chuck

BTW Welcome to FiberglassRV Kevin, I kinda blew by the welcome message!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
first you have to decide how you want to paint it.
are you going to paint it by hand?
are you going to spray paint it?
any good autimotive paint shop can sell you the proper paint if spraying is an option,,,same stuff they use on corvettes for example.
if you hand painting , a good marine paintjob can be had with a roller. looking almost as good as a spray job.
a good source for info on this is "good old boats" website. or magazine.
they are targeted towards rehabing old fiberglass boats... just like our goals with trailers.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
We painted our boler four years ago with dear old "Tremclad" which has an RV White (same colour as our boler). We lightly scuffed the surface and rolled it on with a small Hi-density foam roller. It lives outside through Canadian winters, hot Ontario summers etc. and has NEVER changed or had any problems over those four years. Looks as good today as it did when we finished it.
We looked into a marine 3-part paint which was going to cost an arm and 3 legs and take me a good portion of my life-time to finish. A fiberglass body-man gave us the hint on Tremclad, so we tried it and it works really well.
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #11

Oregon
Tremclad

I think rolling on Tremclad is the route I'm going to take. Since we just spent crazy money remodeling the house (my back still hurts) cheap and easy sounds real good to me. I wil have to do some more investigating as to wether or not the "Insuladd" additive is worth trying or not. I gotta hurry as summer is almost here! Thanks again to everyone for welcoming me and sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Kevin
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Probably noted before, but have a look here:

Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair

and here:
moparts: paint job on a budget!?

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #13

Oregon
good links!

lots of great information here! I'm ready to tackle this and cant wait to see results!

Kevin
Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I think rolling on Tremclad is the route I'm going to take. Since we just spent crazy money remodeling the house (my back still hurts) cheap and easy sounds real good to me. I wil have to do some more investigating as to wether or not the "Insuladd" additive is worth trying or not. I gotta hurry as summer is almost here! Thanks again to everyone for welcoming me and sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Kevin
Friends of ours also went the Tremclad route and were able to find colours from them very close to the original two colours of their boler. Theirs was badly faded and now it really jumps yet retains its original look. It too went through the winter stored outdoors (no tarp or anything) and held up beautifully. Good luck and enjoy the spare cash.
Vivian
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #15

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
After reading the threads about painting cars with Tremclad I chose a similar product. Armor Coat rust paint. I got 2 gallons for $52 plus a whole raft of taxes and fees. Tremclad was $40 /gallon. Going to use a 4" high density foam roller. It is recommended to thin the paint to get the best finish. Up to 1/3 paint thinner gives the best results.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #16

Oregon
We wound up going with a gallon of Interlux Brightside blue white at a cost of $115, splitting the can hand having half tinted turquoise. The upper half of the trailer is white and from the belly band down is turquoise. I also painted the hatch doors to match (the lower ones turquoise and the uppers white) I used a smaller white foam roller and my wife followed with a paint brush. It came out looking great!
I also took apart every window, stripped the aluminum of all the paint (wire wheel works great although it's tough on the arm muscles) and re sealed them. I got double sided window tape from a window repair shop and used Vulkem 116 on the outside. The only drag is the Vulkem suggests a 21 day dry time.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #17

Name: Reuben
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I can't say enough about the Interlux 1 part easypoxy paint. It goes on easy, smooths itself out and coats very well. This isn't the greatest cell phone pic & you can't see the gloss but i'm pretty happy with the results, off white on top and what was labeled as Grand Banks Biege on the bottom but i'm convinced it was a mess up as its MUCH greyer than I would have liked. I don't mind it but its not really what I had in mind. I fully admit to not taking the most time and following OCD painting tactics to the T but the results are great in my books. I still plan on adding a rubberized coating to the front lower to protect from rock dings.

(and yes a new flexi-ride axle is in my neaw future!)

Reuben in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
We wound up going with a gallon of Interlux Brightside blue white at a cost of $115, splitting the can hand having half tinted turquoise. The upper half of the trailer is white and from the belly band down is turquoise. I also painted the hatch doors to match (the lower ones turquoise and the uppers white) I used a smaller white foam roller and my wife followed with a paint brush. It came out looking great!
I also took apart every window, stripped the aluminum of all the paint (wire wheel works great although it's tough on the arm muscles) and re sealed them. I got double sided window tape from a window repair shop and used Vulkem 116 on the outside. The only drag is the Vulkem suggests a 21 day dry time.
Looks GREAT Kevin . But, have to ask, why the double-sided window tape and Vulkem? You could have done the whole job with butyl putty tape and NO caulk.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #19

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
Has anyone ever use this Marine Topside Paint by Supermarine? Supermarine Revolution (TS-1000)

They are located in Washington State. The reason why I want to use them is because they will mix custom colors! $145 for a gallon seems on the high side?
morbank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint