Painting a Boler. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 75 boler
Saskatchewan
Painting a Boler.

Hello:

I jsut recently bought a 75 boler. i would like to paint it. what are some marine type paints people out there are using.

Thanks
sheephills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jason, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

I'll leave the paint questions to the experts. Do you have any pictures you can share?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
I'm in the process of putting on Interlux Pre-Kote and Interlux Brightside. Waiting for a nice day! I've used marine paint before this. It can be finicky (depending on prep and weather mostly)! BUT if prepped according to instructions and applied according to instructions, you'll have a tough and shiny DIY paintjob with minimal tool-purchasing/experience.

All marine paints I've used can all be "rolled and tipped" or sprayed. I'm spraying primer (so theoretically I don't have as many ridges = less sanding) and "rolling and tipping" Brightside (because I don't trust myself spraying topcoat, and I've had exceptional results rolling and tipping). I can't really speak from experience for spraying marine paint because I have not done it (yet), but I know people who have with success. Most boatyards don't let people spray, so most marine paint is rolled/tipped and designed to be easily rolled/tipped without looking too ridgy.

For the record (I will share this because I had some difficulty finding out exactly what people did...), I am planning on spraying 2-3 coats of Interlux Pre-Kote, roll and tipping 2-3 coats of Brightside, and sanding in between all coats. I bought 1 gallon of Prekote, 4 qts of Brightside, some random Interlux thinners/gelcoat cleaner, 4" foam rollers, 3" foam brushes and my bill is around $260. Throw in sandpaper, rags, tack cloth and someother stuff and that's maybe another 20-30 bucks.

As far as other options...I've used the following on sailboats before with great gloss and adhesion.

Brightside is a one-part polyurethane - you only have to mix in thinner. Easiest to apply of probably all marine paints. Limited color choices. I've read you can mix different colors of Brightside, but I'm not daring enough! Less toxic than many marine paints - but still wear a respirator!

Interlux Perfection, which is a two-part polyurethane - more durable than Brightside and more color choices. Requires basic chemistry or bar tending skills.

AwlBright - Used by professionals in marine and aviation. This stuff is like liquid steel and looks beautiful. BUT it costs many pretty-pennies and is pretty toxic.

My guess, based on forum searching I did (I recommend you search the forum's too! Lots of good resources on people who have dared to go before us.) would be that the majority of people who used marine paint, used Interlux Brightside. I could be wrong. Brightside is $$ cheap-ish, good quality and pretty easy to DIY.

I will also throw out another option that I avoided - Rustoleum (Tremclad in Canada). It's probably cheaper than marine paint, and more readily available for those in landlocked states/provinces. I know people have used it on our trailers with success, but I opted for marine paint because I reasoned it gave me a slightly better chance of not having to re-do all the sanding and repainting in x-number of years. All the scraping of old paint and sanding is still TOO REAL!!!!

Do some research. Determine what your budget is. Compare. Agonize. Prep. Prep. Lay down the money. Paint and go camping! It'll turn out great! Best of luck.
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #4

Registry
Oh...also. If you don't HAVE to paint, don't. Save yourself! You can always try to brighten the gel coat with Poliglow or Red Max Pro or some other sort of shiney stuff! I would have chosen this direction if the PO's of my trailer had not chosen to apply layer upon layer of bad paint and had to do some body work. I'm guessing though, that since you have the same year Boler as I that the gelcoat is pretty crazed and seen better days, so this is probably useless info.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #5

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Jason

I painted my 73 Boler because of body damage etc... I also used Interlux Brightside marine paint. I painted it at a friends and we ended up spraying it because of the finish rolling it. It just looked better after spraying. It took 2 1/2 quarts to paint. (2 coats 1 1/4 quarts per coat) The limitations are the range of colours. Mostly blues and whites. One year after painting I am still happy with the result. The looks and smiles of people as they pass on the highway are great. Always gets lots of looks. Please don't paint it medium blue, that is my colour.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
blue boler.jpg  
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #6

Name: Mark
Trailer: Boler B1300
North Carolina
I'm going with the Rust-oleum topside marine paint.
Sandflea068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
Thanks guys for the info. Evan, I enjoyed your input. I was looking into Brightside paint as well. We are in central Canada, any idea who may sell this kind of paint around here? Boating is pretty popular on our lakes, I may try a marine store. Any other ideas?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #8

Saskatchewan
I will post some photos in the next few days of how the Boler currently looks. Plan on painting it soon.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Jason,
I used brightside marine paint on a Compact Jr., last year. Applied it with a roller and used a tipping brush to remove the roller marks.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
remember that Corvettes are Fiberglass, too! They are painted with automotive paints! (available everywhere!)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
remember that Corvettes are Fiberglass, too! They are painted with automotive paints! (available everywhere!)
And they are painted in Kentucky by Kentuckians.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #12

Saskatchewan
Automotive paint is probably just fine. Personally i just want to use Brightside thats all. I was wondering were i can get the stuff though or were i can try to find it.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #13

Registry
I got my paint and supplies from West Marine online. There is also Jamestown Distributors online which sells it cheaper if I remember correctly. My father-in-law had a discount through West Marine that made it cheaper for me to go through them. I don't know if there are pros/cons between going with West Marine or Jamestown Distributors.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #14

Saskatchewan
I'll check out West marine. thanks again Evan.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I understand that everyone is painting the outside of their trailer but I'm looking to paint the interior fiberglass. Do I really need to use marine paint? The inside doesn't need the protection like the outside and I don't need high gloss. What would you recomend? Thanks, Marina
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Marina, I'd think the inside needs as tough of a paint as the outside. Even though it won't be deluged in water/snow... it will get bumped and knocked. Since you're in Canada, perhaps Brightside Marine or one of the other paints folks are using for the exterior. Prep and paint can be hard work and time consuming. Buy the best you can afford, so you don't have to do it again in a year or two.

Here's a brief topic worth reading: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-34639.html

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephills View Post
Automotive paint is probably just fine. Personally i just want to use Brightside thats all. I was wondering were i can get the stuff though or were i can try to find it.
Here's one site that has Brightsides: INTERLUX Brightside Polyurethane Quart

Or you could try:Interlux Boat Paint and Maintenance Paint From Wholesale Marine

There is a vast array of colors and the prices are pretty good compared to other sites.

Spanke
Old 05-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Thanks for the links.
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #19

Saskatchewan
Yes david, thanks for the links much helpful. But i kinda need a canadian dealer that sells the paint cause of shipping costs. I'll go with an american website if in the long run i have to and can't find a canadain distributor.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #20

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Registry
Marine Enamel

I painted my Boler with marine enamel from Cloverdale Paints. This product is available in a variety of interesting colours and can be used over oil based primers. I primed with two coats of Tremclad and then put seven more coats of the marine enamel on that. I wet sanded every second coat starting with 400 grit paper and finished with 1500 grit. You can see the result in my thread named "Work In Progress - 75 Boler 13". I rolled all of the coats and it took about a month to do the frame in black and the body in a Robin's egg tint. The downside of this is that I am a fly fisher and the places I go to fish require driving on gravel roads. I took my trailer on three gravel road trips last summer to get to those great fishing locations and sadly the result was like someone rockblasted my paint job. On the first trip when I dropped the trailer and noticed the damage I could have cried. Here are some shots of the result. I am now looking into options for protecting the front areas where the paint has been removed all the way to the glass. The up side is that the rest of the paint still looks great, it just can't take gravel roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Damage-1.JPG   Paint Damage-2.jpg  

Paint Damage-4.jpg   Paint Damage-5.jpg  

Randy D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, painting