Painting a Boler. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #21

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
This is all very informative, thank you!

One of the issues I have is that living in S. California, EVERYTHING is expensive when you are hiring out. I decided to put a big chunk o' dough into professionally sewn cushions, but I'm hoping to do anything else aesthetic myself (and with the help of my husband). I got a quote for painting the Scamp (not including removing any windows, decals, etc) and it was $1500! Ouch.

My questions:
1) I want a custom lemon/citron yellow color -- is there a marine exterior paint that is custom? The professional suggested I look around for a paint color on a car I like and then look that color code up. However, I doubt I will find a lemon/citron on any car!

2) We have very little space/property. So I am assuming rolling will be safer than spraying. My neighbor will kill me if I accidentally spray his new house paint job!! Would that be a correct assumption (the rolling part, not the neighbor killing me).

Thanks!!
morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #22

Name: Darragh
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbank View Post
This is all very informative, thank you!

One of the issues I have is that living in S. California, EVERYTHING is expensive when you are hiring out. I decided to put a big chunk o' dough into professionally sewn cushions, but I'm hoping to do anything else aesthetic myself (and with the help of my husband). I got a quote for painting the Scamp (not including removing any windows, decals, etc) and it was $1500! Ouch.

My questions:
1) I want a custom lemon/citron yellow color -- is there a marine exterior paint that is custom? The professional suggested I look around for a paint color on a car I like and then look that color code up. However, I doubt I will find a lemon/citron on any car!

2) We have very little space/property. So I am assuming rolling will be safer than spraying. My neighbor will kill me if I accidentally spray his new house paint job!! Would that be a correct assumption (the rolling part, not the neighbor killing me).

Thanks!!
1. I used Interlux Brightside Marine paint. Most of the colors are generic, Red/Blue/Green/White/Black. There is a Yellow also, but they don't do different shades of colors, other than blue, white and grey.

2. I roll and tip painted my boler and the only place I got excess paint was on the driveway and on myself!

Edit: Also the Paint and painting supplies only cost in and around $250.
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #23

California
Has anyone used this company? They sell both a marine and an rv paint:
Environmentally friendly Protective Coatings - Industrial, Marine, Construction, Residential and Automotive - Chiri Enterprise Products , Located in Canada
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #24

Name: Jason
Trailer: 75 boler
Saskatchewan
I would like to use Interlux Brightside paint but if i cant find were to buy it here in canada then i will try randys way using marine enamel from cloverdale paint thks for the tip there randy. i aslo check out your whole thread on your boler looks great. ill check out that dealer cidy thanks.
sheephills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #25

California
I also located another company, Marine Boat Paint Coatings - GSA Contract Holder, and they will custom match for $10 more per gallon. They also have over 100 colors!! Additionally, there is finepaintsofeurope.com/ who will match Pantone colors (they are specifically contracted) for their Brilliant Enamel. I haven't decided which company to go with.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #26

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephills View Post
Yes david, thanks for the links much helpful. But i kinda need a canadian dealer that sells the paint cause of shipping costs. I'll go with an american website if in the long run i have to and can't find a canadain distributor.
These guys sell the interlux here in Kelowna, Industrial Plastics & Paints

I see they have 8 locations, but only as far east as calgary

Willis
willisworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #27

Saskatchewan
Willis, thanks alot for the info i looked at the website and they look promising. when looking at the site we here in regina just may a few places like or related to that. Im going to check over the weekend.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #28

Name: hue
Trailer: 1971 boler owner
Saskatchewan
Jason

I built a wood and canvass canoe about twenty years ago and I recanvassed it last year. I use Interlux Brightside Marine paint to paint it. You can usually get Red, white, Green, and Blue at Canadian Tire in the camping boating section.

They almost always have a litr of red , Green, and White, but they only ever keep one or two cans on the shelf ?? so its hard to find

I have also bought it at Ebs Sail & Sport in Saskatoon, and in Calagary there is a couple places that sell it and one in Calgary. Stuff is unbeatable on canoes, very tough.

call us at 1-800-INTRLUX (1-800-468-7589), to find out your nearest retail store.

h
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #29

Saskatchewan
Canadian tire hmmmm. ive only seen dupli-color there but, if you say its there then im going to have to keep checking . Never seen it there though. i live in regina so saskatoon isn't very far to go. Yes brightside is the way to go i think.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbank View Post
I also located another company, Marine Boat Paint Coatings - GSA Contract Holder, and they will custom match for $10 more per gallon. They also have over 100 colors!! Additionally, there is finepaintsofeurope.com/ who will match Pantone colors (they are specifically contracted) for their Brilliant Enamel. I haven't decided which company to go with.
This company looks really interesting. I wonder if they could match original Trillium Green? That would be fantastic! I think more research is in order!

Thanks for the link.

Spanke
Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #31

Saskatchewan
Supermarine website for marine paint is a good chose to choose your paints. If thats what you want to use is marine paint. i checked out the website and yes they will match colour for $10.00 quite cool. Just may order some from there although it seems pricey, although i have no idea what brightside costs for a gollon either. If theres anyone out there that know the price range of interlux brightside would be greatly apprciated.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #32

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Brightside sells for about $30-$35 a quart, somewhat less than SuperMarine. at $43, but a custom color match to Trillium Green may be worth it for me!

Spanke
Old 06-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #33

Name: Larry
Trailer: Volvo 245 pulling '71 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Interlux should be available at just about any marine supply store in the country. I have never lived more than a 30 minute drive from shelves full of Interlux (but I've always been near the Great Lakes so we have marine suppliers aplenty)
coalminecanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #34

Trailer: 1973 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
remember that Corvettes are Fiberglass, too! They are painted with automotive paints! (available everywhere!)
Where can you buy automotive paint? I've only been able to find spray bombs at Canadian Tire and I'm even having trouble finding marine paint. I need to paint my Boler next week and am worried I won't find a good paint. I don't really want to use exterior house paint as I don't think it's durable enough (although the colour choices would be incredible).

Also, everyone keeps talking about rolling and 'tipping' ... what the heck does tipping mean? I don't have a sprayer, but might be able to rent one if that does a better job.

Why do people do so many primer coats?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #35

California
Shelley -- Most people here buy boat paint because it is an enamel that is designed to coat fiberglass. Rolling and Tipping is a method of rolling paint on in little sections and using the tip of a brush to run along and take out bubbles that had just been rolled on. You can watch it on You Tube. We are planning this for next week. Everyone seems to use Interlux topside paint because of their reasonable price and durability, but their colors are limited. We are using topside paint from supermarinepaint.com because we wanted a custom color. BTW, we have spent 4 weeks prepping our camper for painting! We haven't even finished priming. And, you can't prime before you buy paint because usually you want to purchase the proper primer for the paint you are going to use. What i mean is that I suspect you have not primed your boler yet so good luck getting all of that done in one weekend!! As for primer coats, the paint company told us we could get away with 1 but we want to have a completely white surface without any of our brown/dark bondo work showing through, so we will do 2 coats.

Have fun-- can't wait to see how it turns out. We will post pictures of ours when it is finally completed! -Cindy
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #36

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
There wont be much choice for automotive paint supplies in Vanderhoof, I would suspect a trip to PG will be required. You can look here to start Marine Hardware Canada I am pretty sure they carry interlux briteside , they should be able to help you pick the right product and tell you how to apply it properly.

Here is the contact details:
Marine Plus
#14 - 1989 1st Avenue
Prince George, BC,
V2L 2Z3, Canada

Tel: 250-562-0801
Fax: 250-614-1742
Email: info@marineplus.ca
KevC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, painting