Painting a scene on fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #1

Name: Lois
Trailer: Springdale 5th wheel
Minnesota
Painting a scene on fiberglass

New gal on the block here. We have a 2017 Springdale 5th wheel 286FWBH. I am an artist, painting lots of murals in cabins & homes. I have a vision to paint a MN scene on the back of the 5th wheel. It is a "blank canvas" waiting for some beautiful art work. It is smooth fiberglass and I am wondering what kind of paint to use. It would be brushed, not air brushed. Sure could use some help if anyone has some ideas.
Lois in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I am following this thread. We have a blank screen Silver Cloud. Maybe painting is a better route to go than stickers.

CindyL
Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

Name: Lois
Trailer: Springdale 5th wheel
Minnesota
I want to paint a MN scene with lake, loons (our state bird) etc. Stickers would not be the answer, unless I could design the sticker. It would be my art work. Hmm...something to think about.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0271.jpg  
Lois in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois in MN View Post
I want to paint a MN scene with lake, loons (our state bird) etc. Stickers would not be the answer, unless I could design the sticker. It would be my art work. Hmm...something to think about.

A word of caution. No matter how lovely you think your 'personalization' is, the next owner may want to subtract its removal from his offering price.
Just sayin' .....
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When I worked for a truck leasing company (standard lease term 5 years) some customers wanted the whole side of the cargo box lettered and some with a photo or some other image. Some were quite elaborate and artful. We used a couple different sources to make and install decals. Depending on size, they were generally made in more than one piece. Of course these had to be removed when the lease was up and the trucks then were sold, so decals was the way to go. Maybe look also to some business that does the vehicle "wrap" procedure.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I'm not sure about potential issues of adhesion to gelcoat, and what primer (or abrasion?) might be necessary. Surely some of the folks who've painted their Scamps and whatnot would know. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

Looking at your picture makes me want to drive the Gunflint Trail!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
When I built by kayak, I wanted fish decals. I found a sign shop (in Oregon) that made them for me. I strategically placed them over flaws then added an additional coat of fiberglass resin to protect them. It would require significant sanding to remove them because of the resin, but they have lasted 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois in MN View Post
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Sign painters one shot comes in small quantities and is designed for outdoor applications.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #9

Name: robert
Trailer: 74 perris pacer
California
it would look really sharp going down the road.
hangemhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #10

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Another alternative might be to paint a scene on whatever substrate you like, and then take a high-quality digital image of your painting to a sign place that does vinyl signage for business vans etc. Then you could apply it to your camper, enjoy your artwork, and have it be removable someday down the road.
...just my $.02/worth.............
Old 04-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #11

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Hi Lois,
I just posted today to this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-59330.html
You can easily take your artwork to a graphic designer with Boat/RV/Fiberglass experience to make it into a Wrap. They'll just scan it in. As other forum folks said, this is less permanent to committing the trailer to your forever, painted-on, art. With wraps, you have a fairly easier option to switch it up as you (or the next owner) desires.

By the time you sink money in the paint and your time to scale it to the trailer, a graphic artist can easily scan your personal work in and stick it to it!

Express yourself, but do it smartly. I look forward to seeing your work on your trailer.
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #12

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
Painting ....

We have had two fiberglass trailers painted. What I can tell you is that it is a beautiful thing. That said, you must remove the gel coat surface, and prep the area that you will be painting. Using an automotive, marine, or airplane paint (that's what was used on ours) is the only way to go as it will be long-lasting and easy to maintain. Have fun. If you ever sell it, someone else can paint over what you have done if they want to...
California Bay Area
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
We have had two fiberglass trailers painted. What I can tell you is that it is a beautiful thing. That said, you must remove the gel coat surface, and prep the area that you will be painting. Using an automotive, marine, or airplane paint (that's what was used on ours) is the only way to go as it will be long-lasting and easy to maintain. Have fun. If you ever sell it, someone else can paint over what you have done if they want to...
Yep Automotive Paint
You could also call a auto body shop and ask them what they paint fiberglass with.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #14

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Kim,
Could you explain why I'd need to "remove the gel-coat" before painting a fiberglass surface? I'd have thought a thorough cleaning [especially removing any traces of waxes & other sealant products with something made for the task], and then sanding/scuffing, and then proceeding with automotive-type primers & paints would be adequate.
But I have not done a lot of fiberglass work---if there's something uniquely problematic about gel-coat, I'd like to know/understand it.
Respectfully,
Gary
Old 04-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I had a vinyl adhesive sign made from a photograph I use for my website. It has been on the back of the trailer for 5 years & still looks new. I cleaned the surface with alcohol prior to adhering the sign.
Attached Thumbnails
ASE_5760.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #16

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
Gel coat removal for painting

In regards to the gel coat, all I know is that it was removed in order for the paint to bond better to the fiberglass. I know there have been discussions about gel coat versus paint somewhere on this site. If you sand off the gel coat it sounds like you will be fine. However, I am not a painting expert - that's why I had it done professionally. I can't wait to see your final paint job!
California Bay Area
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting