Painting Boler with Brightside marine paint - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Maybe you won't have to wax it or overcoat it..... As expensive as it is, it's still seems to be the #1 choice for fiberglass boat peeps. It's what I used on my Hunter Compact-II and it's beautiful.

That said, I just painted an older tent trailer and used the (hard to find in CA) Rustoleum Marine paint and it went on about as smooth and good looking as the Brightside product @ 1/3 the cost.

I can tell you already, the Briteside is a lot harder to scratch or scuff......

BUT.... lets look at these two trailers over the next 5 years and see the aged results.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #16

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
We used 2 quarts of pre kote primer (1 white and I grey for the blue) had a chunk left over. Then used 3 quarts Brightside - 2 for top - hatteras off white and 1 medium blue for bottom
It looks great!

Did you do 1 or 2 coats of the pre kote primer?

I wanted to double check on the colour. The Interlux colour chart I have in front of me has 2 different brightside hatteras off whites (4208 and 4218). Both of them look more yellow or "buttery" from what I see in your pictures. Yet the tire cover and tank look like the whites I would expect them to be. The blues (4353)are also very close comparing the picture to the chart. Any chance you used the Off-White (4381)?

Given your descriptive review, I think I'll do some practice runs using the gravel guard then door before attempting my trailer. If I'm only doing the top, door and gravel guard on mine, it appears that I only need 1 quart of primer and 2 quarts of the white. Is that correct?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #17

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Hi Roy
We used 1 coat of primer, it is really thick and covers well.
Used the hatteras 4218, I thought it would be more of buttery colour too so maybe try the other one.
Yes, your quantities sound good.
Try and avoid hot days with direct sun as I think that was part of our problem.
Good luck I will be looking forward to your pictures.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #18

Ontario
Thanks kootenaigirl,
It may be a while. I'll have to finish replacing the wooden mezzanine with warehouse racking in the garage. Then enlarge the garage door before I can fit the trailer into the garage to paint. I'm planning on the Brightside Off-White 4381. I'll definately post pictures here: Restoring Our 1972 Boler American.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Problem with Brightsides is ya better not try polishing it or waxing it, it loses its shine! Been there, done that. Plus ya can't overcoat it with anything!

Frank
What would you consider an alternative that would allow it to be shined and waxed or coated? Brightside is an investment and may have to consider an alternative. I know I know but I have seen some who use Rustoleum.

Donna is there a thread on finding the "perfect" paint? (I have excluded having it professionally gel-coated as a cost factor?)
thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower the River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Thanks kootenaigirl,
It may be a while. I'll have to finish replacing the wooden mezzanine with warehouse racking in the garage. Then enlarge the garage door before I can fit the trailer into the garage to paint. I'm planning on the Brightside Off-White 4381. I'll definately post pictures here: Restoring Our 1972 Boler American
Rather that go to the work and expense of raising your garage door, consider using much smaller rims/tires while parked. Some on here have gone as small as using bare 8" rims to roll their egg in & out of a garage.

How much more clearance do you need?

BTW: I painted my Hunter outside, using Briteside White.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #21

Ontario
Good suggestion Bob, but not feasible in my situation. The single car length driveway to the garage slopes down from a 4 lane major city artery.

As for expense - the existing wooden mezzanine was poorly built and needs replacing as it is starting to collapse. The garage door is on it's last legs. If I have to replace those already it is not that much more to go from a 7' high to 8' door. Bonus is I won't have to pay for offsite storage and it gives me a place to work on the trailer out of the elements. Plus I won't have to swap tires/rims twice on a hill every time we use the trailer.

Do you have pictures posted of your Hunter painted?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #22

Name: Adam
Trailer: Boler 1300
BC
Is theis "bikini Blue" color?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #23

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
It was called medium blue.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #24

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
What would you consider an alternative that would allow it to be shined and waxed or coated? Brightside is an investment and may have to consider an alternative. I know I know but I have seen some who use Rustoleum.
I really don't know about single stage paint. Two part automotive paints (base coat/clear coat) are easy to polish, and done right, can really gleam!

Another tip for a really well covering primer (if you have a compressor and spray gun set-up) is polyester primer. You could tape a quarter to your trailer and bury it with this stuff. I'm using it this coming spring on a hot rod body I bought that needs major help. I'll prime it, then block sand it to get it smooth and straight.

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, paint, painting