Painting Boler with Brightside marine paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #1

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Painting Boler with Brightside marine paint

Just wanted to update folks on painting with Brightside. I actually found it a lengthy process and challenging at times. It didn't quite go as easy as the online videos!
We had never painted a trailer before and would certainly not do one again if we had gel coat that could be shined up. Unfortunately PO had completed a poor paint job that had to be sanded off.
Paint and supplies were around $220. We used 2 quarts of pre kote primer (1 white and I grey for the blue) had a chunk left over. Then used 3 quarts Brightside - 2 for top - hatteras off white and 1 medium blue for bottom plus their paint thinner which you also use after sanding and tons of sandpaper, high density 4 inch rollers and soft brushes for tipping. I actually bought 2 expensive brushes and found they were too firm so used 2 cheaper ones.
We did tons of prep and took off what we could - jalousie windows, awning rail, door gutter and door and all exterior rivets. Take off everything you can it makes it much easier.
Primer coat was problematic - lots of ridges after drying and of course because we hadn't used it before and didn't know what it should like we kept going which led to some major sanding and frustration the next day. If it isn't going on smooth, stop and change something as it won't get better! You have to sand between coats - glad we don't have a 17 foot Boler.
Paint itself went on better but we were working outside so some areas were in hot sun and some shade and then wind would get up at times. All of this led to changing paint conditions that may be better if you were inside. Some parts went on perfectly and others not so much.
It really has a strong smell and even a day after you could smell paint in our yard.
We found if you have drips or brush lines it didn't respond well to going back over it after tipping and even if you went back the next day to sand and redo that part it didn't blend in well with the rest. You really need to redo the whole top half or bottom which is time consuming to say the least. We did one coat of primer and two of top coat. It looks really shiny and the colors are great but I think if I was to do it again I would be tempted to try spraying it. It certainly would be easier the next time as you learn the best way to do it the first time. After all the initial prep it was three long days to get it painted.
We have a storm warning and heavy rain so it is under a big tent of tarps so sorry my current picture isn't good. I will post better ones when it is all put together again. You can sort of see the shine/reflections in the pic.
Hopefully our experience may help someone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1190.JPG  
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think it looks fabulous! Yeah, if painting was easy and cheap there would never be a need for professional painters and paying the price. But, it's yours and you DONE GOOD! Call it Sweat Equity and be proud!!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Oh my gawd, it looks adorable! Can't wait to see the whole thing put back together, minus tarps!

I agree with you that some of your issues were probably due to environmental conditions, hot sun, wind etc. But I can tell you from the little peek your giving us, I think all your hard work was well worth it!

Please do post pic's with weather permits!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Great post. I am planning on painting in 3 weeks, nice to read about your experience. I just bought a spray gun
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Thanks for the write up! It looks fantastic! When you get to camping in it you will realize it was all worth it!

Cheers,
Slav
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It looks good from here, glad to hear of your issues with the primer. I plan on doingthe top of my boler American this summer. lespnd had his sprayed by a pro. I was hoping that he had posted some of the difficulties the pro encountered spraying in this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-54766.html
But his comments must have been in personal emails. Hopefully he will pipe in and add to this thread. I'll send him a PM.
Now I'm thinking of spraying the primer and doing the roll and tip for the Brightside.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #7

I just found a forums section on the Interlux web site. Looks to be a lot of good info and tips there:
Topsides - Yachtpaintforum.com - Page 1
Here is an sample thread:
Primekote vs Pre-Kote - Yachtpaintforum.com
Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
The second time is always easier, alright. When you spend a lot of time and effort on a project, it is easy to obsess over the details and perceived "mistakes". Know that no one else can see that error at 20 feet. All they see is that beautiful shiny trailer! Congratulations!
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm.... When I used the same products to paint my Hunter Compact-II I didn't encounter anywhere near that many problems. A couple of tips that might help others:

1. You have to roll and tip the undercoat as well as the finish coats.
2. Only roll a small area before tipping, two peeps are best, one rolls the other tips.
3. The tipping brush has to be kept free of paint build up. Light tipping leaves very little on the brush.
4. If outside, put up a canopy and avoid any direct sun on the surface, it changes drying rates.
5. Try practiciing on something besides your rig before starting. That ugly car in the neighbors yard might be a good start (LOL) i

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks for al the nice comments everyone. I should maybe add that I am not the most patient of people, good job my hubby was part of the team.
Bob - Yes, they are all good tips, we did do all of the things you listed (apart from trying on a neighbours car LOL) and watched videos and looked on the boating forums etc. We did have it under a canopy but depending on angle of sun that didn't really help. We certainly found that all the curves on the Boler were harder - the flat pieces went much easier.
Wish you had been closer we could have asked for help
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #11

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Brightsides is great stuff, but only one problem. If you ever want to go to some other finish, you can't paint over it, or prime over it, with anything. It all has to come off. You can't polish it, as polishing it dulls it. I've had very bad luck with it on the deck of my classic fiberglass boat, and will be sanding it all down one of these days and using a two or three stage automotive paint.

Another Interlux finish I love is their VC Performance. It's a two part epoxy intended for racing hulls that do not stay in the water. I used it on the hull of my old speedboat. It is an incredible product, very, very hard and resilient, and can be wet sanded and compounded.

Good luck!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #12

British Columbia
Here are some better pictures of the paint I am really enjoying the shine!

Unfortunately now have it for sale hubby still saying can't keep 2 trailers long term. It's in the classifieds.
I have a new found appreciation for people who restore trailers LOL. The amount of work is amazing, I don't know that I would take it on again or at least not for a long time which really makes the sale even harder.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1203.JPG   IMG_1204.JPG  

Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #13

WOW, "Baby Blew" (As in "Baby Blew just passed Yew") looks great.
Tell your buyers that they don't need to worry about painting for a very, very long time.

That same phenom seems to happen around my place as well. Just about as soon as I finish a project, a certain s.o. sees something else she like even better and it's out with the new in with the old again.

That's "Seven times in Seven Years....." but don't read anything else into my next book title, just wait for the movie

Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #14

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Problem with Brightsides is ya better not try polishing it or waxing it, it loses its shine! Been there, done that. Plus ya can't overcoat it with anything!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #15

Maybe you won't have to wax it or overcoat it..... As expensive as it is, it's still seems to be the #1 choice for fiberglass boat peeps. It's what I used on my Hunter Compact-II and it's beautiful.

That said, I just painted an older tent trailer and used the (hard to find in CA) Rustoleum Marine paint and it went on about as smooth and good looking as the Brightside product @ 1/3 the cost.

I can tell you already, the Briteside is a lot harder to scratch or scuff......

BUT.... lets look at these two trailers over the next 5 years and see the aged results.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
We used 2 quarts of pre kote primer (1 white and I grey for the blue) had a chunk left over. Then used 3 quarts Brightside - 2 for top - hatteras off white and 1 medium blue for bottom
It looks great!

Did you do 1 or 2 coats of the pre kote primer?

I wanted to double check on the colour. The Interlux colour chart I have in front of me has 2 different brightside hatteras off whites (4208 and 4218). Both of them look more yellow or "buttery" from what I see in your pictures. Yet the tire cover and tank look like the whites I would expect them to be. The blues (4353)are also very close comparing the picture to the chart. Any chance you used the Off-White (4381)?

Given your descriptive review, I think I'll do some practice runs using the gravel guard then door before attempting my trailer. If I'm only doing the top, door and gravel guard on mine, it appears that I only need 1 quart of primer and 2 quarts of the white. Is that correct?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #17

British Columbia
Hi Roy
We used 1 coat of primer, it is really thick and covers well.
Used the hatteras 4218, I thought it would be more of buttery colour too so maybe try the other one.
Yes, your quantities sound good.
Try and avoid hot days with direct sun as I think that was part of our problem.
Good luck I will be looking forward to your pictures.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #18

Thanks kootenaigirl,
It may be a while. I'll have to finish replacing the wooden mezzanine with warehouse racking in the garage. Then enlarge the garage door before I can fit the trailer into the garage to paint. I'm planning on the Brightside Off-White 4381. I'll definately post pictures here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...can-25724.html.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Problem with Brightsides is ya better not try polishing it or waxing it, it loses its shine! Been there, done that. Plus ya can't overcoat it with anything!

Frank
What would you consider an alternative that would allow it to be shined and waxed or coated? Brightside is an investment and may have to consider an alternative. I know I know but I have seen some who use Rustoleum.

Donna is there a thread on finding the "perfect" paint? (I have excluded having it professionally gel-coated as a cost factor?)
thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #20

Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower the River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Thanks kootenaigirl,
It may be a while. I'll have to finish replacing the wooden mezzanine with warehouse racking in the garage. Then enlarge the garage door before I can fit the trailer into the garage to paint. I'm planning on the Brightside Off-White 4381. I'll definately post pictures here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...an-25724.html.
Rather that go to the work and expense of raising your garage door, consider using much smaller rims/tires while parked. Some on here have gone as small as using bare 8" rims to roll their egg in & out of a garage.

How much more clearance do you need?

BTW: I painted my Hunter outside, using Briteside White.

Tags
boler, paint, painting