Just wanted to update folks on painting
with Brightside. I actually found it a lengthy process and challenging at times. It didn't quite go as easy as the online videos!
We had never painted a trailer before and would certainly not do one again if we had gel coat that could be shined up. Unfortunately PO had completed a poor paint
job that had to be sanded off.
and supplies were around $220. We used 2 quarts of pre kote primer (1 white and I grey for the blue) had a chunk left over. Then used 3 quarts Brightside - 2 for top - hatteras off white and 1 medium blue for bottom plus their paint
thinner which you also use after sanding and tons of sandpaper, high density 4 inch rollers and soft brushes for tipping. I actually bought 2 expensive brushes and found they were too firm so used 2 cheaper ones.
We did tons of prep and took off what we could - jalousie windows
rail, door gutter and door and all exterior rivets. Take off everything you can it makes it much easier.
Primer coat was problematic - lots of ridges after drying and of course because we hadn't used it before and didn't know what it should like we kept going which led to some major sanding and frustration the next day. If it isn't going on smooth, stop and change something as it won't get better! You have to sand between coats - glad we don't have a 17 foot Boler
Paint itself went on better but we were working outside so some areas were in hot sun and some shade and then wind would get up at times. All of this led to changing paint conditions that may be better if you were inside. Some parts went on perfectly and others not so much.
It really has a strong smell and even a day after you could smell paint in our yard.
We found if you have drips or brush lines it didn't respond well to going back over it after tipping and even if you went back the next day to sand and redo that part it didn't blend in well with the rest. You really need to redo the whole top half or bottom which is time consuming to say the least. We did one coat of primer and two of top coat. It looks really shiny and the colors are great but I think if I was to do it again I would be tempted to try spraying it. It certainly would be easier the next time as you learn the best way to do it the first time. After all the initial prep it was three long days to get it painted.
We have a storm warning and heavy rain so it is under a big tent of tarps so sorry my current picture isn't good. I will post better ones when it is all put together again. You can sort of see the shine/reflections in the pic.
Hopefully our experience may help someone.