Painting Rat Fur? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Get a pair of rose-colored glasses.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Don't overlook the idea of painting your cabinets. It can change the overall look of the interior. Another issue you might encounter when trying to change the color of the rat fur is adding a new odor to your camper.
John
Old 05-25-2016, 12:12 AM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I agree, as others have suggested velcro fabric panels.

The next option would be to make wrap around curtains using the I-beam rod
Home Hardware - 10' White I-Beam Track, with Fittings or the stuff they use in sail boats Curtain Tracks - Curtain Track Hardware - Drapery Hardware | Curtain-Tracks.com
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:04 AM   #24

Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I 2nd the marine headliner (which is also water and mildew resistant) and that is what we put in our Boler and we couldn't be happier with it. It is much more attractive to me than rat fur or even ensolite...but to each his/her own. The headliner was relatively easy to put up, but if you choose do to it I would remove the rat fur first and either put reflectix or polystyrene (styrofoam) insulation behind the headliner (we choose to use the styrofoam).
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:33 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I 2nd the marine headliner (which is also water and mildew resistant) ...... It is much more attractive to me than rat fur or even ensolite...
Rat fur IS marine grade headliner. Did you get a different nap or something else? Pictures?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #26

Name: Koren
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Thanks all! We pulled all the wood grain doors off this past weekend and will paint them white - which I think will help with making the overall interior less dank looking. Per your suggestions, I think we'll just leave the rat fur for now as it's in really good shape - and I'll get creative with decoration. I think (as many of you say), I'll choose a jazzier fabric color that will draw the eye away from the rat fur.
mswhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Sleeping

Most of the time I spent in my Scamp was spent in bed with my eyes closed. The wall covering had little or no effect on my use / enjoyment of my trailer. As long as the A/C works when it's hot , the furnace works when it's cold , the cooktop works at meal time and the roof doesn't leak when it rains, I am a happy camper but then again I am male and have absolutely no sense of style.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #28

Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Rat fur IS marine grade headliner. Did you get a different nap or something else? Pictures?
Clarification: There are 2 types of marine headliners, the carpet or "rat fur" type and the vinyl type (there are some others as well like padded, etc but these seem to be the main two). The headliner we purchased is a marine grade smooth vinyl with a texture outside and cloth backer with no fur at all. It is used in marine applications and is washable and was advertised as UV resistant and resistant to mold and mildew and specifically for use in marine environments for upholstery, head/hull liners, etc.. I see it used more commonly in boats, particularly higher end boats such as sail boats and cabin cruisers. There is an automotive variety that is similar but is much lighter in weight and the ones I looked at did not have the same claims as the marine kind. The marine vinyl was much more $$$ per square yard that the automotive ones also.

All Upholstery Fabric :: Marine Grade Vinyl Outdoor Upholstery Fabric in Off White $9.95 per yard - FabricGuru.com: Discount and Wholesale Fabric, Upholstery Fabric, Drapery Fabric, Fabric Remnants
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:18 PM   #29

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I 2nd the marine headliner (which is also water and mildew resistant) and that is what we put in our Boler and we couldn't be happier with it. It is much more attractive to me than rat fur or even ensolite...but to each his/her own. The headliner was relatively easy to put up, but if you choose do to it I would remove the rat fur first and either put reflectix or polystyrene (styrofoam) insulation behind the headliner (we choose to use the styrofoam).
Do you have any pictures of your new headliner installed?

How did you install it?

How difficult was putting it up?
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting