Painting Rat Fur? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

Name: Koren
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Painting Rat Fur?

Hi all,

We're new Scamp owners HATING the rat fur. I know it's there for insulation and it seems like a major nightmare to remove it.

What do you all think about painting it? I know fabric paint is available but I've never used it. I think if I can get it lighter (rather than the hideous beige color) - it might be more tolerable.

Any of you have any suggestions on this?

Thanks!
mswhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I would check with places that do auto detailing and reconditioning. I know a used car lot that dyed carpeting that was faded and it looked really good after. I do not think they can make it lighter. Maybe you could go from hideous beige to less hideous brown?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Do a test in a spot that is out of sight to determine if U like it or not.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The hull liner used in the Scamp starts is life in the boating industry and is designed to be water and mildew resistant. This is something this material does well. Allot of this performance may be done by treating the fabric with surface conditioners. These treatments usually resist surface treatments on top.

I have used automotive spray dyes in reconditioning automotive carpet and have used automotive upholstery paints on plastic car parts. The only way to tell what you will get is to try it on a sample. Maybe a piece from under the bench cubbies.

Whatever you do it will be very hard to get an even color throughout the coating. The next issue you may run into is this material is chosen for its mold resistant and its light weight. Painting may compromise both conditions. Adding significant weight to surface held by contact adhesive may cause disbonding issues.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #5

New Jersey
Ah, Steve, I hadn't even thought of the material not accepting a coating of paint. This makes sense if the purpose of it is water resistance. I think Darwin has a good point to try a test patch somewhere.
And yes, Jack, any other color would be preferable to this hideous beige! LOL

My other thought was to attach a lightweight fabric over the rat fur. Since the rat fur acts like velcro, I could potentially just velcro another fabric over it?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #6

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
What about decorating for more focal point on curtains, pillows, accessories and the like. Have the curtains wider so they cover some of the rat fur. There are so many photos here and the Scamp Facebook page, and great ideas. Granted, I don't mind the rat fur color, but I don't usually see it as my eyes are drawn to the other colors and decorations. Just a thought.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Before you do something you might regret, consider that the ratfur covers a relatively small part of the interior over all. Change the curtains and add a couple of colorful throw pillows, and maybe velcro a little artwork to the walls and add a back splash. Colored lighting can make a huge difference as well. Scamp used to offer ratfur in what they called blue, it looked a lot like skim milk.
Most of us are some shade of beige or brown ourselves, but just THINK what a nice Hawaiian Shirt or a Purple Leisure Suit could do to jazz up our appearance!

floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or, go outside.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Or, go outside.
I guess that depends on where you are!
I've been out west some places where there was nothing but BEIGE all the way to the horizon in every direction!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You can't make a color lighter by dying it you can only do that by bleaching it but you would have no control over the bleaching process with a material that is already in position.

Because the fabric of the rat fur is made from plastics you might try spray painting it with Krylon Fusion. At least it is easy to find in your local hardware store. Do a test sample in a hidden area inside of a cabinet.

But be forewarned about painting soft fibers, it will end up making them stiff rather than soft and comfy. It may also change other characteristics such as the ability to insulate, deaden sound and hold onto moisture for long enough to keep it from dripping on your head. Plus as some people said it could potentially reduce the ability to fend off mold and mildew.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #11

New Jersey
Thanks All, I think I'm just turned off by it because it's staring me in the face. You're right, once I get our "stuff" in there, the rat fur will probably fade into the background.
This rainy weekend, I plan on sewing new cushion covers and curtains which should jazz up the place a bit.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhipp View Post
Thanks All, I think I'm just turned off by it because it's staring me in the face. You're right, once I get our "stuff" in there, the rat fur will probably fade into the background.
This rainy weekend, I plan on sewing new cushion covers and curtains which should jazz up the place a bit.
That really is your BEST approach to it. Pretty well anyone who owns a Scamp who has decided messed with the rat fur or remove it has ended up regretting it.

I did not like it in my Scamp at first either. But once I made some nice curtains and pillows and re did the cushion covers I did not even notice it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I was thinking of covering my rat fur with marine vinyl headliner. That would require the gluing the headliner directly over the rat f ur. Has anyone tried that?
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #14

Name: Alida
Trailer: currently looking in CA
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhipp View Post
send pix when you finish-I'm looking for ideas
arthynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
A. Think of its strange beige as a pie shell! It's the background, not the focal point (others have suggested this and you've agreed, so nothing new there).

B. You can Velcro or pin lace yardage or thin fabric yardage over the fur in panels to add new light colors, textures, a change in background without adding much weight or changing anything permanently. I believe others have found Velcro will stick to rat fur using only one side of the Velcro...the rat fur acts as the other side. You can stitch Velcro to your fabric panels and just stick it up. Just don't pull it off too often or you'll fuzz out the fur.

Those who get to see what you come up with are privileged! Hope you have lots of fun "doing" the inside, and using the whole thing!
Old 05-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
I was thinking of covering my rat fur with marine vinyl headliner. That would require the gluing the headliner directly over the rat f ur. Has anyone tried that?
I would suggest its probable a very bad idea.

Keep in mind that the rat fur is glued over top of foil insulation that is glued to the walls. Over time - often after many many years the glue holding the insulation can fail in sections causing it and the rat fur to sag requiring it to be reglued in spots. Even hanging anything light off the rat fur is considered by many to be a bad idea due to fears of causing the rat fur and insulation on the walls to pull away.

Its a good bet that the weight of the vinyl over all the rat fur would/could result in a big saggy mess in time.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthynne View Post
send pix when you finish-I'm looking for ideas
You can use Google to pull up interior photos of iots of old scamps and bolers for ideas.

Take a look at what was my Scamps (sold it last week) Trailer Register. When looking at the photos note what your eye is drawn to - the walls or the curtains, bedding & accessories?
Old 05-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Love the one you're with.....

To me it's like marrying someone and hoping they change dramatically.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

To me it's like marrying someone and hoping they change dramatically.
...and then being very disappointed when they do.

The RatFur is not always greener...
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #20

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Totally agree not to start putting anything heavy on the rat fur. After reading about it being glued to insulation to inner shell, maybe even very light fabric would be a less than stellar idea.

Tags
paint, painting