Painting the inside of a boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #1

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
Painting the inside of a boler

Hi there! Just bought my boler this week and am very excited! The owner I bought it from had glued 'boat seat cushion' vinyl to the inside walls/roof, etc. I'm scared to take it of but would like to clean it up a bit. Would anyone know how to get the vinyl glue off once I remove the vinyl? I think she said she had originally tried to paint the original surface but the paint kept falling off and wouldn't adhere. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Thanks!
TobyFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFaye View Post
Hi there! Just bought my boler this week and am very excited! The owner I bought it from had glued 'boat seat cushion' vinyl to the inside walls/roof, etc. I'm scared to take it of but would like to clean it up a bit. Would anyone know how to get the vinyl glue off once I remove the vinyl? I think she said she had originally tried to paint the original surface but the paint kept falling off and wouldn't adhere. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Thanks!
Welcome to FGRV Melissa. Is the new wall covering in good shape ? If it's in good shape taking it off would leave you a huge mess. Contact cement doesn't really come off. Others have cleaned their wall coverings with good results and will be a long soon with what they used. Also after a good cleaning it can be painted too. It is possible that last owner didn't prep it correctly or used the wrong type of paint.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I agree with Dave, try to clean the original Ensolite first, only paint as a last resort. If you absolutely have to here is the process I recommend, I know many have used this process with very good and lost lasting success. Cleaning & Decorating the Interior
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #4

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Replacing the interior in your boler is a big task. It also seems to be a controversial one on here. There will be an overwhelming number of posts telling you not to do it.
I replaced the carpet on the walls of my Boler, best thing I did. BUT it was not the easiest thing I did either. Especially the ceiling, it took me more than one attempt to get the ceiling to work the way I wanted. In all honesty replacing the carpet on the walls was no harder than hanging wall paper. And here is another but, I had all of the windows out, the kitchen was removed as were the dinette seats and the upper cabinets were loose.
As for removing the glue from a previous reno. Good luck. I tried a variety of tools. Using a wire wheel just covered me in fiberglass and made the glue sticky and glob together. I found scraping the shell with a large sharp chisel worked best, but be careful the shell is thin.
I reapplied new carpet that I bought off of Paul Neumeister (well known in Ontario and the northern states) . It was actually the leftover from Paul's own Boler when he replaced his interior. I did not use contact cement however, it didn't work since it seeped through the carpet. I used exterior carpet glue, it was great.
Either way remember it's your Boler and only you know how much of a task is too big for you.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
Thanks for the reply! The wall covering is in ok shape except she didn't finish around the windows. It just looks unfinished and doesn't have clean lines. So I guess it's not as easy as ripping it off and painting over everything or putting on new covering. What do most people have on the inside? Any suggestions on how to clean up the edges around the windows?
TobyFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Hi Melissa
If you could post a picture of what you have now that would be helpful.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #7

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Most bolers have ensolite 'elephant hide' on the interior walls. Scamps have a fuzzy carpeting referred to as 'rat fur'.
Is there a way you can put a trim around the windows to cover the uneven edges? Perhaps a vinyl of a similar or contrasting colour that you could glue on.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If painting I used Melimane Kitchen/Bath Paint on my pop corn. For repairs I used white NO Nails Glue. You can shape the glue if repair is visible.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
Replacing the interior in your boler is a big task. It also seems to be a controversial one on here. There will be an overwhelming number of posts telling you not to do it.
I replaced the carpet on the walls of my Boler, best thing I did. BUT it was not the easiest thing I did either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
Most bolers have ensolite 'elephant hide' on the interior walls. Scamps have a fuzzy carpeting referred to as 'rat fur'.
I'm glad you made the distinction. Most the threads telling you not to replace the liner are referring to replacing the original ensolite.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFaye View Post
Thanks for the reply! The wall covering is in ok shape except she didn't finish around the windows. It just looks unfinished and doesn't have clean lines. So I guess it's not as easy as ripping it off and painting over everything or putting on new covering. What do most people have on the inside? Any suggestions on how to clean up the edges around the windows?
Head to a big fabric store and look in the trim section. Think of it as a creative decorating opportunity.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, paint, painting