Painting the outer shell - the frugal way...? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
Use good Paint

Having been in the marine industry for many years and painting boats, let me add that if you use good paint Awl-Grip or Sterling, or some other product like that you will not only get a good job, but something that will last a number of years.

I wouldn't short cut on the primer. Looking at your pictures, it looks like you have light and dark spots on the trailer, and they will show up, light and dark in your final paint job. A good primer will make the base all one color, and the finished paint job-all one color

Another way to do the job is to find someone who paints boats or cars professional, and have them just do the spray painting part of the work. Prep work in the very time consuming and the most expensive part of any paint job, and something that you can do yourself. Do all the taping and masking yourself and have the professional just do the painting.

Give a thought to what you want the finished product to look like

Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #16

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Actually, after getting some quotes from local pain-shops, I'm seriously considering just rolling on Aluminium Tremclad. In fact, I have first coat on a test panel. Single coat doesn't look that great. Than, when I think of the quoted prices, I think that 3-4 coats topped of with Wet-Look Zep, will look just great.

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
As long as you don't have a concern about eventual resale value it doesn't matter what you do.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsteve2002 View Post
>>>snip>>>

Give a thought to what you want the finished product to look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
As long as you don't have a concern about eventual resale value it doesn't matter what you do.
Thanks a lot for all the comments and advice.

I though about it for months. The reality, as I see it is;

1. I want a practical trailer for my lady and me.
2. I have limited budget to do it.
3. I would like it to look perfect but, see #2
4. Selling it is not in the cards but,
5. If we ever want to sell it, we will get (more than likely) at least what we paid for it - the labour.
6. Most of the year, it will be sitting on a friends farm serving as a occasional weekend sleeper.

What is the worst that can happen if I go the "perfect" route?
1. I can put into it a lot of work and not have it usable before July which would force us to make the planned trip to Tadoussac with a borrowed trailer.
2. I may not get energy or patience or the money to do it perfectly.
3. Somebody will steal it.
4. My lady and I will be telling each other that we should've done it differently.

What is the best that can happen if I go the "perfect" route?
1. My lady and I will be complementing each other on the perfect job we have done with it.
2. I get good re-sale value.
3. People will be doing "wow" looking at it.

What is the worst that can happen if I cut corners on finishing?
1. My lady and I will be telling each other that we should've done it differently.
2. People will be telling us that our trailer is ugly.
3. We may get kicked out of an FGR rally or not allowed to a perfect RV resort.
4. Nobody will want to buy it when we decide to sell it.
5. Somebody will comment: "have you done it in your driveway at night?"

What is the best that can happen if I cut corners on finishing?

1. We will be able to have a perfectly usable trailer for our summer vacation.
2. Somebody will comment: "looks cheap but solid and it looks like all you need for very enjoyable camping."
3. My lady and I will be telling each other that it turned out fairly decent considering the expenditure.

Fill free to add to my list but, we are going for the last option = reliable, usable, fun and inexpensive.

In summary; unless somebody donates their time, place, equipment and skills to do it better, Tremclad and a paint roller it will be!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
As long as you're happy who cares what anybody says, go for it.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Perfect answer Greg!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #21

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
I've been reading a lot here for a couple months, while I am waiting for my trailer to be delivered. At first I was embarrassed to admit that I would be "cutting corners" (for many reasons--time, money, skills, time, money). I would love to be able to do everything the right way--well, no, I wouldn't. I am anxious to make my trailer a cute, fun, usable trailer and I am totally content with the idea that it may be worth nothing when I get done with it!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I've been doing all the body work on mine outside, dodging dust devils and hot weather, I took autobody in school but I don't have all of the tools I need so I'm doing the best I can with what I have to work with, and when it"s done if nobody likes it, oh well.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #23

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Andrew,
Is there any reason you can't set up a temporary shelter outside your shop, get longer air hoses or rent (test drive) a portable compressor and spray it yourself? You said you had all the tools.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #24

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Andrew,
Is there any reason you can't set up a temporary shelter outside your shop, get longer air hoses or rent (test drive) a portable compressor and spray it yourself? You said you had all the tools.
I thought about it but, for number a reasons, not really an option.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #25

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
What is the worst that can happen if I cut corners on finishing?

3. We may get kicked out of an FGR rally or not allowed to a perfect RV resort.
4. Nobody will want to buy it when we decide to sell it.
3. At all of the rallys that I have attended, nobody ever got kicked out.
You would be even more popular for the stories you'd have about your choices and decisions.

4. Nobody may want to pay top dollar when you decide to sell, but it will sell for the right price.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #26

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
3. At all of the rallys that I have attended, nobody ever got kicked out.
You would be even more popular for the stories you'd have about your choices and decisions.

4. Nobody may want to pay top dollar when you decide to sell, but it will sell for the right price.
Well, I listed "worst case scenario". Don't forget that (at least) one RV resort used to have "no Casitas" in their policy. I know; Being kicked out of an FGR rally was a bit of a stretch. In reality, most would say: "I can only imagine how ugly it was when you got it..." Than again, most visitors here strive for a perfect egg but, not all. After all, few came out of a closet after my post ! Hmm, sound like a decent topic. I think, I'll start one under "How many corners did you cut?"
OK, the topic is now up - see How many corners did you cut?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #27

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
Well, Wash it REAL good first. These trailers tend to trap contaminates in the fiberglass, giving you fisheyes. So, WASH! I hope you at least prep it well. That'll make the paint easier to apply. Sometimes those little rollers work pretty good, especially with the many little angles you find on a trailer.
Here's a link to how I painted my Trillium. I know that's not how you're going to do yours, but the prep work might be of interest to you.

YouTube - '74 Trillium repaint '10 A little better this time!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #28

Name: Bill
Trailer: Two Trillium Jubilees and a Trillium 1300
Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Frugal Paint Job

Andrew:

Here is an article I saw some time ago which may assist in your quest for an inexpensive paint job. It sounds incredible but with Tremclad being so cheap (and sometimes even a bit laying around the shop ) it might be worth experimenting !

I vaguely remember seeing the final resultsof this persons paint job. Seems to me it looked really good. sorry I can't come up with the original article or the author's name

Bill Reilly

PAINTING YOUR CAR WITH TREMCLAD

Here's how i painted my car for about $50:

Itís actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of Tremclad real orange (or what ever color you want) in the can, not spray. Yes Tremclad -- it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. Next, prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, etc .... no need to prime the car since the Tremclad already contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. Next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. You also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no taping the whole car, just key areas, and you can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it doesnít really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the Tremclad. I have done this to a few cars, and I can say it works amazing, You just have to be patient. next You thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaken when You buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week! 1 after You do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wet sand, 2 coats wet sand. I painted my Dodge Charger using one can Since your not spraying the car you use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air. Use progressively finer sand paper each time. It's not really that much work, cause you can stop and start any time, You can do just a door, or the hood, etc, do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. Once your done the final coat, wet sand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher. I use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and I'm telling you, depending on the amount of time and patience you have, the results are amazing. Laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, etc...) it really looks good.

Also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning you can wet sand. I have personally done a lot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and Iíve sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results. Spraying stinks, and it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The Tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some pert in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 Beetle also.

Author Unknown

Tags
painting