Painting the outer shell - the frugal way...? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #29

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the tips. Currently, I'm at the stage of patching holes. Oh boy, so many holes and scratches and cracks and... I'm tired. I hope I don't run out of juice before finishing the trailer. I'm finding myself more and more often saying. Oh well, that will do. There is no way it's going to be perfect...

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #30

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Update;
Got the shell painted. With help of the friendly neighbours, donated industrial quality paint. Nice colour. Now, that was the good news. The bad... despite the tests that showed that the paint was compatible with whatever was already on the trailer, several spots the paint badly reacted with the undercoat. We primed it using a roller and had few problem spots that reacted but with enough oft the elbow grease, blocking layers of other primers and so on, we had it primed nicely. Still, the xylene in the finish coat eat through the primer and some other layers and we finished with several problem areas... Also, as expected, the finish coat exaggerated all the imperfections in patching the shell... Our July deadline is closing fast so, we decided that, like with any project, there comes the time when engineers must be shot so the production can start. Tomorrow, I'm off to Home Depot to have Zeisner (sp?) 123 colour matched as close as possible to the finish coat and all the patches will be covered with that. Since most of the bad reaction patches are on the belly band, it will be covered with either close colour match or, maybe simply black Tremclad. Windows are already going in, sub-floor finished. Once paint patches are dry, I'm putting in marker / tail lights and doing the electrical. Once that done, we can lay the insulation - it will go over some of the marker wiring. Than the floor than.. but that is another story. It's about paint here so, let me just say that in retrospect, we are sorry that we didn't stick to the plan of doing it with tremclad and a roller. We lost a week because we jumped at the offer of nice, industrial quality paint... Yes, yes, I know. If we stripped all the previous layers of paint and patched everything perfectly we wouldn't... well, we still be stripping the original paint and be nowhere near a chance of using the trailer this summer!
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2011-05-22_17-50-50.JPG   Img_2011-05-23_14-06-54.JPG  

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #31

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I have a photo of a 13' Burro that was painted with a roller. The person who painted it doesn't own that particular trailer now and she is presently traveling so I'll share what I remember...

Attachment 35185 Attachment 35186

If you want a smooth automobile-like finish: pass on the roller, spraying is the only way to get that quality IMHO.
A roller will leave a texture in the paint, and the result on this trailer made a child exclaim, "It looks just like an Igloo Cooler!" That kid nailed it.
While what you say is generally true...
We painted a trailer with Perma White and micro rollers and the finish is smooth without the texture associated with ordinary paint and rollers.
PermaWhite is only semigloss but it dries hard enough to wax.
Pictures can be inadequate for this sort of thing but here's one anyway...
In fact it is smoother than some types of spray on applications
Attached Thumbnails
June 2009 011.jpg  

Tags
painting