Got the shell painted. With help of the friendly neighbours, donated industrial quality paint
. Nice colour. Now, that was the good news. The bad... despite the tests that showed that the paint
was compatible with whatever was already on the trailer, several spots the paint
badly reacted with the undercoat. We primed it using a roller and had few problem spots that reacted but with enough oft the elbow grease, blocking layers of other primers and so on, we had it primed nicely. Still, the xylene in the finish coat eat through the primer and some other layers and we finished with several problem areas... Also, as expected, the finish coat exaggerated all the imperfections in patching the shell... Our July deadline is closing fast so, we decided that, like with any project, there comes the time when engineers must be shot so the production can start. Tomorrow, I'm off to Home Depot to have Zeisner (sp?) 123 colour matched as close as possible to the finish coat and all the patches will be covered with that. Since most of the bad reaction patches are on the belly band, it will be covered with either close colour match or, maybe simply black Tremclad. Windows
are already going in, sub-floor finished. Once paint patches are dry, I'm putting in marker / tail lights
and doing the electrical
. Once that done, we can lay the insulation - it will go over some of the marker wiring. Than the floor than.. but that is another story. It's about paint here so, let me just say that in retrospect, we are sorry that we didn't stick to the plan of doing it with tremclad and a roller. We lost a week because we jumped at the offer of nice, industrial quality paint... Yes, yes, I know. If we stripped all the previous layers of paint and patched everything perfectly we wouldn't... well, we still be stripping the original paint and be nowhere near a chance of using the trailer this summer!