Painting underbody of trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #1

Name: Hughe
Trailer: Trillium 76
British Columbia
Painting underbody of trillium

I've just removed the Fiberglass egg from the trailer frame & sanded & repainted the frame. Now I'm onto tackling the final fibreglassing repairs and paint the trailer body. I'm looking at painting the underside of the Fiberglass before I put it back onto the frame. Has anyone done this before & if so any suggestions on products to use? I was throwing around the idea of Rhino liner but not sure it's the best choice.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
hrose414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Unless you have done extensive repairs to the floor the bottom or the trillium is gell coat finished fiberglass and should not need any coating on it . Maybe you intend to display it at a trailer show as I saw a couple of weeks ago in Palm Springs were some $100,000 thousand airstream had a mirror under it so you could see the bottom and all the work he put into it in that case go for it.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Red face Showing one of 59 areas that we had to patch...not primered yet.

We've been considering putting some kind of rubberized "rhino liner" on the fiberglass bottom of our amerigo...so many rock holes and other holes there, so much patching...whatever coating was on it originally is all messed up. A product called "DURABAK" has a really nice website with tips and examples, photos and they'll send you free samples of their lovely rubberized paint (smooth and textured)...I finally ordered a chip of ALL the colors, which they sent for free very politely. It's LIKE the rino coating but the colors are very nice.

It's kind of goopy, and once opened, won't store well if you don't use it all. It's pricey to have shipped--BUT you can get it in white and some colors, you can blend the colors, so whatever color scheme you're going for, you might be able to match or come close.

NOT sure we're going to, but if it were stlll off the frame AND accessible, I think I'd go for it. The rocks really do a number under there, and we're hoping not to have to fill 59 holes again--they ought to "mostly" bounce off this rubbery coating.

(He may still crawl under and do it...we'll see.)
Attached Images

Tags
paint, painting, trillium