Park Liner Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

Name: Carol
Trailer: Undecided
Illinois
Park Liner Awning

Does anyone have ideas on how to add an awning to the Park Liner? They have no rail to add one so was wondering about somehow using a tarp and attaching to bumper/hitch. Any ideas are appreciated! I know I could go the E Z Up route if all else fails.
Carol in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Add a rail. Lots of trailers don't come with a rail until it is needed to add an awning. They can be purchased from most any RV store.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Carol, I will be curious to see how it will look! I was debateing about doing it on mine, but honestly with the rounded top Im not sure how that track will look on the side of the ParkLiner. I think Im going with a 10x10 ez-up.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Add a rail. Lots of trailers don't come with a rail until it is needed to add an awning. They can be purchased from most any RV store.
Times two-

And since your trailer's on order, you might even persuade Parkliner to install a rail for you.

Even if you never install a pulldown-type awning, the rail allows for other types. When I first got my Trillium, I used my (factory installed) rail to hold a plain old tarp with some aluminum legs rolled up in it.

Nothing beats having that solid, waterproof join to the trailer!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I put a rail on my UHaul, at the upper portion of the 'curve' on the side. (6.5ft wide x 8ft deep) I think that it looks fine. I love the fact that if I am out in the rain with my awning, no water will run down my camper at my doorway area.
Attached Thumbnails
Glamper.jpg  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We put a non-traditional rail on our trailer requiring no holes in the shell using 3M removable plastic hooks.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Does the inner hull complicate installation on a UHaul, Pam? Are the rail brackets thru-bolted? That method would require access holes in the inner hull, would it not? I wouldn't have much faith in blind screws. Could it be that installers are using an expanding toggle or jack nut pulled in the outer skin of this type of trailer to retain the mounting bolts?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
My rail was installed using ordinary blind rivets, which strikes me as the most practical way on molded fiberglass- especially with a double hull.

No leaks there after 35 years, I might add...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #9

New Jersey
Registry
Pam, your Uhaul looks very cute all decked out!

deryk
Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Does the inner hull complicate installation on a UHaul, Pam? Are the rail brackets thru-bolted? That method would require access holes in the inner hull, would it not? I wouldn't have much faith in blind screws. Could it be that installers are using an expanding toggle or jack nut pulled in the outer skin of this type of trailer to retain the mounting bolts?

jack

I installed my awning myself using butyl tape along the full length, and then mechanically fastened with blind rivets in every third hole. Its not going anywhere. It's held up in some mighty strong wind/rain storms. I just drop the leading edge down low and tighten up the stakes. I also move my SUV close to the side of the awning to block the wind from blasting under it and 'lifting' it. @Derek - Thanks for the complement. I do it up in a fun way for Chick Glamping Camping
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #11

Illinois
Thanks for all the ideas!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
Awning fabric has been ordered. Last weekend I pulled a ladder out and took a look at my roof...I do have room for a solar panel between the escape hatch and the front of the trailer...probably can fit a 100 watter...just need one that is wide and not as long since I wouldn't want it visible from the street.

Looking at the way the roof is shaped, Im gonna lay it in the flat spot so it goes over the "hump". and then ties (maybe heavy bungie cords front and back) I did think if needed I could buy a pair of those super heavy duty suction cups for moveing plate glass and use them topside to support the awning in the middle. Im gonna cover the whole 12' length... and stick out about 8' or so. Im hopeing the fabric shows up friday, but if not will be sewing during the week lol. Goin camping next weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
roof.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #13

Illinois
Hope you'll be posting finished pictures,Deryk! You have such great ideas. Keep them coming It sure helps a newbie like me!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Carol, I'm new to this too lol but I've been camping for a while...and I've always been about style lol

Wait till you see the crazy retro fabric lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Deryk
I have used this type of awning before and really liked it. It should work great on a Parkliner with the reversed roof rib. Just tie one corner to the rear bumper another corner to the front frame rail and rest that side of the awning in the roof rib. Then use the tent poles outboard. Also you won't have water running down the side of the trailer behind the awning. Light, inexpensive, packs up small and on sale.
Eddie
Guide Series Dining Canopy LP-TENT-1519 - Gander Mountain
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #16

New Jersey
Registry
Eddie. I'm kinda the same idea just making it out of a funky retro material...should look cool!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Deryk
I tried twice posting about this awning for the Parkliner but it never took. It should work great on the Parkliner with the reversed rib roof. Inexpensive, light, packs up small and on sale. Just let one side rest in the roof rib and tie off the ends to the front and rear frame rails, and use the poles outboard.

Guide Series Dining Canopy LP-TENT-1519 - Gander Mountain

Must be some kind of delay today. This post can be canx.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, parkliner