Parkliner AC and Canopy questions - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Parkliner AC and Canopy questions

Does anyone have any kind of detail at all on how Parkliner is supporting their new roof mount AC, and/or bracketry used for the new Fiamma awning option? Pics (especially!) and/or text welcome!

I would really like to get AC where it belongs - on the roof! Gail & I would also like to see what we could do about a regular trailer canopy. The canopy thing is less important than the roof mount AC, but our Gander Mtn. canvas thing is worn out!

By the way, we also have a jalousie window problem, the one over the dinette does not seal anymore and cannot be cranked out. I can lift it out, so it's not stuck. Any ideas welcome!

Pics of our most recent trip later. Can't "do" photobucket at work anymore, as it is blocked.

Frank
__________________

__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Johnny M's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Does anyone have any kind of detail at all on how Parkliner is supporting their new roof mount AC, and/or bracketry used for the new Fiamma awning option? Pics (especially!) and/or text welcome!

I would really like to get AC where it belongs - on the roof! Gail & I would also like to see what we could do about a regular trailer canopy. The canopy thing is less important than the roof mount AC, but our Gander Mtn. canvas thing is worn out!

By the way, we also have a jalousie window problem, the one over the dinette does not seal anymore and cannot be cranked out. I can lift it out, so it's not stuck. Any ideas welcome!

Pics of our most recent trip later. Can't "do" photobucket at work anymore, as it is blocked.

Frank
I am dealing with the exact same dilema now regarding a roof a/c on my 71 Boler but don't think I can be much help on yours as I don't know how your body/roof is constructed. I will try to remember to share what I come up with to you when I get it done or you can follow my post of Our 1971 13' Boler mods
Can't be much help with the awning but on the windows you should be able to remove the window either by removing the screws or drilling out the rivets holding it in place. Yours may have a frame on the inside that has to be removed first before it will lift out (mine are 1 piece assembled). Then you can disassemble the window and replace the bad component(s). Check the crank handle first though as is could be it is not gripping the shaft it turns to open it (teeth rounded off). There are a number of RV parts places by searching Google that sell parts for them. The hinges were the most difficult part for me to locate for mine which I got directly from Hehr. You might also try vintagetrailersupply.com. Just remember when reinstalling the window to put new butyl tape around the seal on the outside to keep it from leaking...
__________________

__________________
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Thanks John, good suggestions.

I guess no one on FGRV with a Parkliner has these new options. I was hoping for some specific ideas!

Frank
__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
Sid
Senior Member
 
Sid's Avatar
 
Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Posts: 443
Registry
Frank
When I last talked to Chandler months ago he mentioned that the roof must be factory built with internal reenforcement for top mount AC.
Sid
__________________
Don't quit your daydream.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Frank
When I last talked to Chandler months ago he mentioned that the roof must be factory built with internal reenforcement for top mount AC.
Sid
Hahaha! That's Chandler for you Sid. "The roof must be factory built." That guy is so full of himself it's not funny.

After a bunch of research, I'm not sure I want to move the AC, but had been hoping for specific detail, like 1" square oak ribs were glassed in lengthwise, or an additional sheet of 1/4' or 3/8' marine plywood was integrated into the roof surrounding the vent. My point being that folks do install AC on roofs off eggs all by themselves with different forms of bracing.

It will be a very long time before I forget how Chandler treated me in 2014. Even the work they did (moving the batteries to the tongue) was very poorly done, and required more of my time to fix. Sheesh!

On the other hand, twice this past weekend folks at rest areas wanted to talk with me about our Parkliner. There's no question the design is very advanced for a lightweight egg. One was a tall fellow driving a 38' motorhome looking for something simpler, and the other was a tractor trailer couple who used to have a Casita. Funny thing that - nobody came by to check it out at the campground, but we invariably get folks checking it out when we're at rest areas!

Thanks Sid. Enjoy your day!

Frank
__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner2016
North Carolina
Posts: 135
Frank,

When we were in the factory late last summer one was being built that had a roof mount AC. Chandler mentioned plywood reinforcements, but I didn't inquire further. I didn't notice any obvious plywood on the unit, but the headliner was already in place.

Attached is a picture of one of the Fiamma brackets. It's bolted through the shell and has backing plates. The roof of the closet is used for the foremost bracket. The pole and center reinforcement piece are stowed in the closet with brackets on the wall adjacent to the entry.

-- Anne
Attached Thumbnails
awning bracket.jpg  
__________________
neparker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Frank,

When we were in the factory late last summer one was being built that had a roof mount AC. Chandler mentioned plywood reinforcements, but I didn't inquire further. I didn't notice any obvious plywood on the unit, but the headliner was already in place.

Attached is a picture of one of the Fiamma brackets. It's bolted through the shell and has backing plates. The roof of the closet is used for the foremost bracket. The pole and center reinforcement piece are stowed in the closet with brackets on the wall adjacent to the entry.

-- Anne
Thanks Anne! Great pic of that awning bracket too. For some reason, I thought it was more complicated, i.e. CNC cut out of solid aluminum or something. That looks like maybe 1/4" aluminum strap on the lower piece and 1/8" strap on the top. I may just have to do a bit of experimentation!

What pole and center reinforcement piece Anne? Do you have pics of those too?

Thanks again!

Frank
__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Attached is a picture of one of the Fiamma brackets. It's bolted through the shell and has backing plates. The roof of the closet is used for the foremost bracket. The pole and center reinforcement piece are stowed in the closet with brackets on the wall adjacent to the entry.

-- Anne
Anne, two questions - from the pic of that bracket, it's clear there are two braces coming from the top. It looks like just one on the bottom?

Do both the top and bottom bolt through a common hole just at the top into the closet? Or is the bottom one bolted in more than one place?

Thanks!

Frank
__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner2016
North Carolina
Posts: 135
Frank, There are at least 2 bolts... will try to get a better picture with a ladder a little later today and also one of the inside bolt pattern. (I tried to take a picture inside the closet, but it didn't come out.)


The center reinforcement rail and crank come with the awning.
__________________
neparker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Frank, There are at least 2 bolts... will try to get a better picture with a ladder a little later today and also one of the inside bolt pattern. (I tried to take a picture inside the closet, but it didn't come out.)


The center reinforcement rail and crank come with the awning.
Wonderful! Thanks again Anne, I really appreciate it.

So how many brackets are there? 3? All essentially the same? I figured one would come in through the closet, then the others just through the upper cabinets. A pic of the inside bolt pattern would sure tell me a lot as well.

Is there a model number for the awning itself? I got on Fiamma's website, but couldn't figure it out.

I'm not in much of a hurry, but Gail and I have decided to look at getting more of a factory awning than our Gander Mountain tent/canopy/bungee cord thing!

Enjoy!

Frank
__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner2016
North Carolina
Posts: 135
Here 'tis, Frank. There are two brackets -- one attaches in the closet ceiling, very close to the entry wall, and the other attaches in the aft curbside cabin. (That's the inside picture I took.... the right hand bolt in the picture is the top one.)

There is also a spacer with no apparent bolts in the middle of the awning. Picture included

Let me know if you have questions or want more pictures. Happy to measure or whatever. (This may take two postings...)

-- Anne
Attached Thumbnails
awning.jpg   model.jpg  

bracket1.jpg   bracket2.jpg  

__________________
neparker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner2016
North Carolina
Posts: 135
Part 2 -
Attached Thumbnails
spacer.jpg   inside bolts.JPG  

__________________
neparker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Here 'tis, Frank. There are two brackets -- one attaches in the closet ceiling, very close to the entry wall, and the other attaches in the aft curbside cabin. (That's the inside picture I took.... the right hand bolt in the picture is the top one.)

There is also a spacer with no apparent bolts in the middle of the awning. Picture included

Let me know if you have questions or want more pictures. Happy to measure or whatever. (This may take two postings...)

-- Anne
Boy, that's GREAT Anne, thanks so much! Is the awning 8'8", 10'1", or 11'6"?

What's the black stuff between the glass and the brackets where the bolts go through, and what is smeared on top of the bolts?

This looks doable. Thanks for the help, pics and info!

Frank
__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Posts: 159
Hi Frank, do you need a shot from above of the awning?
__________________

__________________
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parkliner


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
13' Scamp, Fiamma canopy, and side leg mounts Lee in Ohio Modifications, Alterations and Updates 4 04-18-2015 12:15 PM
Canopy for storage and camping? Amy M Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 22 11-24-2009 05:20 PM
DIY HomeMade Canopy for Boler 1300 Jayson Wall Modifications, Alterations and Updates 7 08-05-2007 05:38 AM
Awning/canopy question Karalyn Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 02-23-2006 08:51 PM
wanted canopy Dan Quinn Classified Archives 4 01-23-2006 11:36 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.