Parkliner - Storage behind Door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Parkliner - Storage behind Door

My question is specific to Parkliner, but probably relevant for other manufacturers.

The area between the door and shower is available for storage (5' tall). The door hinge bolts and shower "stuff" are accessed through this area, so access can't be blocked.

As it is now, it is almost useless to me. I was thinking of putting in some removable shelves and need feedback and alternative ideas.

My idea was to use 1/2" PVC pipe for legs and 1/2" plywood for shelves. It would be 3 legs since the edge from front right to left rear is curved. I'm assuming the plywood shelves should keep it tight enough that the joints can be left unglued.

Think of a pie cut in quarters. Each shelf would be 1/4 of the pie. A right angle with 2 18" legs connected by a curve.

The 1st shelf would be at 2' h, 2nd at 2'8" h, 3rd at 3'4" h, and 4th at 4' h. I'm thinking jeans on 1, underwear/socks on 1, shirts on 1, and shorts on 1. Each shelf is about 2/3 the area of a drawer in my bedroom chest of drawers.

Underneath would be big enough for a dirty clothes bag, etc.

The hardest part is cutting the curve to fit. I plan on making cardboard shelves until I get it right.

The one problem I know of is that the clothes would push against the screen door on "sudden" stops. Something is needed to keep everything from sliding around.

Ideas and comments?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

Name: Tammie
Alabama
Hi Huck,
Have you tried one of those hanging organizers made for shoes or sweaters? It's fabric so it's lightweight, and flexible so you could push it out of the way if necessary to store larger items on the floor of the closet. We mounted a sheet of pegboard in our ParkLiner closet, using the door bolts already there. It's where we hang flashlights and other tools, and there's room to the left for a shoe organizer. (The larger sweater organizer would fit but not leave room for tools on the pegboard) The shoe compartments are big enough for rolled clothes, rain ponchos, a roll of paper towel, all kinds of odds and ends we like to keep near the door. So far, nothing has jumped out during travel, but just in case, we keep the screen door closed over the entry while we're moving.
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Hi Huck,

I use mine for misc stuff. Folding chair, the leveler, 2 hoses...and a few other things... I did have some clothes on hangers, but last summer during the heat wave the adhesive they used mus have got too hot, and the weight on the rod...well it popped loose. I'm liking your idea of the shelves!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:32 AM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie View Post
Hi Huck,
Have you tried one of those hanging organizers made for shoes or sweaters? It's fabric so it's lightweight, and flexible so you could push it out of the way if necessary to store larger items on the floor of the closet. We mounted a sheet of pegboard in our ParkLiner closet, using the door bolts already there. It's where we hang flashlights and other tools, and there's room to the left for a shoe organizer. (The larger sweater organizer would fit but not leave room for tools on the pegboard) The shoe compartments are big enough for rolled clothes, rain ponchos, a roll of paper towel, all kinds of odds and ends we like to keep near the door. So far, nothing has jumped out during travel, but just in case, we keep the screen door closed over the entry while we're moving.
I leave the bed set up all the time, so I do;t have easy access to all the cabinets. Maybe that's why I feel the need to put shelves in there.

I store a lot of the things you mentioned right above the door or in the cabinet above the microwave.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:50 AM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Hi Huck,

I use mine for misc stuff. Folding chair, the leveler, 2 hoses...and a few other things... I did have some clothes on hangers, but last summer during the heat wave the adhesive they used mus have got too hot, and the weight on the rod...well it popped loose. I'm liking your idea of the shelves!
I carried a heavy, black hose with me 1st trip. My plan was to use it as an outside solar shower. But I found it too heavy and bulky to be practical. I'm thinking about trying something like the pocket hose to save space.

As an aside, because it isn't important enough for its own thread, I also tried this for hot water. It holds 5 gallons of water and heats up pretty quickly using the sun. I just laid it on the picnic table, black side up.

I used it for hot water for doing dishes. The campground had cold showers which I can't stand. One of the showers had a hook someone had screwed in a little over 6' high. I took the bag with hot water over to the shower and hung it from the hook. Result was I had a large shower stall with hot water. I'm looking for an adjustable clamp I can use to hang the shower bag when there is not a hook.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:57 AM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I carry (but still haven't used lol) 2 of the white 25' hoses. I fill up at my mom's, the well water is good tasting... just bought a 2nd 7 gallon blue jug from walmart so I'm sure my tongue weight is over 15% now lol...

Your ParkLiner doesn't have a shower?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Your ParkLiner doesn't have a shower?
Yes, but I'm a big guy and rather use a big shower stall. Plus, I try to use the waste tank as little as possible.

I fill up the shower bag directly at the campground, so it doesn't "waste" water from my tank. Then it gets dumped down the campground shower so it doesn't go into my waste tank.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #8

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Hi Huck,
In our PL #35 we usually travel with the screen door in the in-use mode against the exit door because i didn't want to chance damaging the screen door. Also, like deyrk, Cari & i place misc _stuff_ in the closet/storage area. Currently we have a couple camp chairs, the Gander MT awning/poles, folding aluminum camp table, some hanging jackets, boots...and other _stuff_! I've been thinking of grabbing a small fishing net from the local marine supply store to put in front of the area so as to keep it from moving around as you theorized. . .

And as stated I also don't want to run the risk of the _stuff_ damaging the screen on the door as my wife added No-See-Um netting on the door.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner