Pat B's U-Haul renovation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Pat B's U-Haul renovation

Step one: Get into garage.
Step two: Unload junk.
Step three: Gut........
Step four: What to do first?
Attached Thumbnails
trailer remodel.jpg   trailer junk.jpg  

Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
step 5: take a lot of pictures and post them. That rear bumper looks interesting. Was it polished?

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #3

Rear bumper is a very thick aluminum bumper painted white/buff. This 1985 U-Haul was made by the Atlanta Trailer company in Georgia. My tail lenses are not too bad, it is the gasket/cup edges that have deteriorated. Maybe I could make a new gasket? Maybe some of the boat sealing material? I have seen white, but not black.
Attached Thumbnails
2011-11-07_13-48-43_407.jpg   2011-11-07_13-49-12_496.jpg  

2011-11-07_15-50-16_485.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oooooo a rebuild! I love following these kinds of topics. The skills and abilities and vision some people have just flat amazes me.

I agree with Matt... lots of pictures!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

Ok, man was there a bunch of junk in there! Tail lights out, front window out, wiring opened up, sink pump gone, one window out and safely stored.

Time to think things through:
Electric - 110 v separate from 12vdc. I will do the battery on a trickle charger. I would like to get a solar panel large enough to run a standard refrigerator in an emergency situation...that way I can justify it as my emergency power source..maybe. I guess two outlets on either side of the upper kitchen cabinets, one at floor level (heater), one under sink (fridge) and one outside in closet area. (will be used for AC if I put it in)

Water - I am leery about water tanks. I will install the high rise faucet for city water. Use my blue camping water totes for boon dock water. I can set up a siphon line if I want "running" water in trailer. It has to be better than that hand pump! I like the idea of 2' of pressure pipe.

Extend Counter / Bed foot well
- Here is a mock up of the counter. Since there is about a 4" difference between bench and kitchen, I will go with the larger profile and make the top removable. (for those who have claustrophobic toes!)

Windows - I will have to rebuild them and wait a few years to get new ones. Solar trumps windows!

Front Dinette - I did a simple dinette earlier and will add attachments for a sling bunk. I will make the dinette cushions fold into the lower bunk and use an air mattress on the upper bunk. They will look odd with the sweeping arc on top.

Kitchen - Look at all this room! It's bigger than my first apartment kitchen. Looks like tubs on shelves for me! The ice box has about 3/4" of Styrofoam and is useless. I will rig a place for an electric fridge , but I doubt I would use it camping. Guess I need to make new doors with all this. I can make them ventilated like someone else did.

Body and frame - Relocate dolly wheel to allow for a tongue box. Fiberglass repair, and paint all around.

Axle - It will have to wait too, sadly. Unless there are axle fairies. Put a lug nut under my pillow???

Color and Theme -Any and all suggestions will be heard. Color, motif etc...as I am not much of a designer.
I will have to take a break soon, my family needs me...NEW Granddaughter any second now.......so, off to Florida I go...so sad to miss the start of winter...NOT.
Attached Thumbnails
2011-11-10_20-44-38_908.jpg   2011-11-10_20-45-28_742.jpg  

2011-11-10_20-47-10_896.jpg   2011-11-10_20-45-08_611.jpg  

Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Oh my how hard was it to decide between new granddaughter or work on camper. Oh wait, I see you are off to Fl. so have fun with the new grandaughter and DO not spoil her to bad before you head home.....LOL ! !

Happy Camping,Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #7

I gave my son (19 yrs) the job of removing the fuse panel from the old 12 v power supply. He did a great job of rending it apart. Now I need to find a small box to set up my 12v distribution/fuse panel. I was thinking of using one of those clear water proof boxes. Has anyone painted or sealed the inside of their cabinets? I was thinking mine could use a coating like a truck liner to keep the fibers at bay.

Granddaughter here...not named yet...I will go south soon..both mom and baby are doing well.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Pat B: You should be able to make a tail light gasket from sheet rubber. Maybe even from an old tire tube. One from a truck or tractor would be the heaviest. You can buy sheet rubber from McMaster-Carr. Their website is mcmaster.com. They have all kinds of options and variations of flat rubber. I bought rivets, screws, tool bits, and other stuff from them when we were restoring our vintage teardrop camper a few years ago. Ordered online with a credit card and usually received it the next day. They are like Graingers, but better in my opinion, don't need an account with them to order. Or you could convert to round tail lights with the adapters from Uhaul, probably makes for a better light setup, but takes away from the originality if that concerns you. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat B Ohio View Post
Ok, man was there a bunch of junk in there! Tail lights out, front window out, wiring opened up, sink pump gone, one window out and safely stored.

Time to think things through:
Electric - 110 v separate from 12vdc. I will do the battery on a trickle charger. I would like to get a solar panel large enough to run a standard refrigerator in an emergency situation...that way I can justify it as my emergency power source..maybe. I guess two outlets on either side of the upper kitchen cabinets, one at floor level (heater), one under sink (fridge) and one outside in closet area. (will be used for AC if I put it in)

Water - I am leery about water tanks. I will install the high rise faucet for city water. Use my blue camping water totes for boon dock water. I can set up a siphon line if I want "running" water in trailer. It has to be better than that hand pump! I like the idea of 2' of pressure pipe.

Extend Counter / Bed foot well - Here is a mock up of the counter. Since there is about a 4" difference between bench and kitchen, I will go with the larger profile and make the top removable. (for those who have claustrophobic toes!)

Windows - I will have to rebuild them and wait a few years to get new ones. Solar trumps windows!

Front Dinette - I did a simple dinette earlier and will add attachments for a sling bunk. I will make the dinette cushions fold into the lower bunk and use an air mattress on the upper bunk. They will look odd with the sweeping arc on top.

Kitchen - Look at all this room! It's bigger than my first apartment kitchen. Looks like tubs on shelves for me! The ice box has about 3/4" of Styrofoam and is useless. I will rig a place for an electric fridge , but I doubt I would use it camping. Guess I need to make new doors with all this. I can make them ventilated like someone else did.

Body and frame - Relocate dolly wheel to allow for a tongue box. Fiberglass repair, and paint all around.

Axle - It will have to wait too, sadly. Unless there are axle fairies. Put a lug nut under my pillow???

Color and Theme -Any and all suggestions will be heard. Color, motif etc...as I am not much of a designer.
I will have to take a break soon, my family needs me...NEW Granddaughter any second now.......so, off to Florida I go...so sad to miss the start of winter...NOT.
Hi Pat: Congratulations, New Babys are a delight. I also have a CT 13. The 12v cabin system in mine is a disaster. Do you have any reccomendations for educating myself about converters, batteries etc. any suggestions will be a help.
I really like your idea to extend the counter top. I already enjoy your rebuild.. thanks, Mike PS: new baby reference is to your granddaughter, but new campers are a delight also.
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Uhaul converter is "supposed to" charge the battery, and convert 110V shore power to 12 volt for the lights. Ours does seem to do that, as I used a multimeter and got about 13 volts from the converter to the battery. Uhaul wiring is not the neatest job, but ours all works. I did add a switch to kill power to the furnace, and also a switch to disconnect the converter from shore power as ours is a little noisy at times. Someone had posted that they were going to use a WFCO Ultra III power center WF-8725P. I looked it up and it looks like a nice unit, I may get one eventually, but we usually camp where there is no electric hookups so no hurry. Note that some of the Uhauls were wired incorrectly at the ground fault outlet, which is where the power cord attaches, ours was. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The Uhaul converter is "supposed to" charge the battery, and convert 110V shore power to 12 volt for the lights. Ours does seem to do that, as I used a multimeter and got about 13 volts from the converter to the battery. Uhaul wiring is not the neatest job, but ours all works. I did add a switch to kill power to the furnace, and also a switch to disconnect the converter from shore power as ours is a little noisy at times. Someone had posted that they were going to use a WFCO Ultra III power center WF-8725P. I looked it up and it looks like a nice unit, I may get one eventually, but we usually camp where there is no electric hookups so no hurry. Note that some of the Uhauls were wired incorrectly at the ground fault outlet, which is where the power cord attaches, ours was. Bob
Thanks Bob, I read that your headed south soon, have a good time. Mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Why leery about water tanks?

Coming from a tent, I've totally loved the demand pump water system of the 13' scamp. No hand pump to mess with - when you want to rinse your hands while cooking or chopping briefly = total piece of cake.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #13

Boarding the plane early tomorrow am.

I don't like water tanks that I can't get totally clean. Why tote 70 lbs of water if you don't need it? I have the water cans if I need to boon-dock and I can locate the water where the weight is needed. I use the 5 gallon cans and rotate my household emergency water every 6 months. I work disaster for Red Cross.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Boarding the plane early tomorrow am.

I don't like water tanks that I can't get totally clean.
Safe travels!

A number of people have put Deck Plates in the top of fresh water tanks to thoroughly clean and dry the inside. Perhaps this is a solution for you?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #15

I have seen deck hatches for exterior access, but not a water tank! Thanks
Donna. That makes it so much easier to get the dead mouse out!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #16

Pat a number of people have the same concerns as you... stanky water and moldy "stuff." Getting into the tank and wiping it dry would take care of the problem.

If you go this route, please post pics!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Thank you for the info, My Deck Plates ,is here so I can put it in soon
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Converter and or solar regulator

If I were starting from scratch I would focus on a good quality solar regulator that has at least 3 charging cycles and a 10 amp battery charger for when shore power is available. This is an important decision and it will pay to do your homework. Your solar system will provide years of FREE energy if you do it correctly.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #19

After a small blip of a year......we found time and money to get back to the renovation. Guess I am the slug of renovators.

Doodling and thinking is over. Now that the weather is frigid, it is time to do the rebuild. (A little cash helps too). Thanks to everyone for all their posts. They give me great motivation.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
After a small blip of a year......we found time and money to get back to the renovation. Guess I am the slug of renovators.

Doodling and thinking is over. Now that the weather is frigid, it is time to do the rebuild. (A little cash helps too). Thanks to everyone for all their posts. They give me great motivation.
Pat, great to see you back and wishing you luck on your renovation.

Tags
u-haul