Pattern or Template for wall carpet/liner? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: 13' Casita
Georgia - USA
Pattern or Template for wall carpet/liner?

I am getting ready to cover the walls of my 13' Casita with marine hull liner material. I guess I will get started somewhere in the middle around the roof vent area and work from there to all directions. Does somebody has a pattern or template on how to cut the liner, where the put the seam? I am planning on running one piece front to rear and make the side walls one individual piece each. Will that work? Do I need to cut more individual segments?

Thanks for y'alls help.
The Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Michael
Scamp runs a seam the width of the trolley from the floor front to rear floor. They cover the seams with pieces of rat fur that are about 2" wide that are hot glued into place when complete. The rat fur is 72" wide and they run it from the trolley top seam down the walls. It is long enough to reach and lap over the seat brace boards. It does not reach the floor and they put a seam behind the cabinets out of sight. In the wall upper corners they cut a seam to take up the excess in the corners. I don't think you could use a pattern I think everything is cut and glued in place. as you go. You really need to see the cuts and seams to understand why they do it the way they do. Sorry I don't have pictures available. One more note: The excess from the trolley top material is used to piece in under the cabinets.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Pattern or Template for wall carpet/liner?

Found a picture that might help a little. This is a 13' Scamp, so it should be about the same shape as your Casita. The picture shows the back, and you can see the seams clearly. I don't have a good picture of the front, but it is exactly the same. It looks like they did it in five sections: ceiling all the way from front window to back window and laterally out to the middle of the trolley roof jog (seam runs along the middle of the vertical part of the trolley), front and back wall below and around window, left and right wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	75591
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Thanks John
A picture is worth a 1000 words. The ensolite trailers have the seams under the window not the rat fur trailers. Those seam cover strips are attached with a hot glue gun. Scamps goal is to have the wall without seams and hide them under the cabinets and seats. The rat fur is glued into a completely empty trailer before the seats, cabinet and closet is installed. Also seal all your refletix seams with HVAC foil duct sealing tape.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #5

Georgia - USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Jon and Eddie,

Thanks a lot y'all, that does help a lot!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #6

Name: Michelle
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Please let me know how it goes! I hung reflectix and am planning to hang hull liner some time this fall. I'd love to hear how you decide to hang it and if you learn any special tricks along the way.
AM Moats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I too am following your progress. I got the reflectix in and waited 2 summers to make sure it all stuck properly and am now ready for covering. Don't like Rat Fur and Hull liner is just Rat Fur with a shorter nap. Not sure what I will use as the final covering.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #8

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I am hoping to replace my rat fur. I'd plan on using my old fur as a template, but they got the seams very noticeably uneven. From that pic above I think they have gotten much more precise since mine was made. Between my sloppy rat fur seams and how crooked my original top vent was I think someone was drinking too much at the Scamp factory in 2001.

Has anyone replaced their rat fur without taking out all the riveted interior fiberglass closet, kitchen, etc? I'd love to leave those in place and re-glue the existing reflectix, but then again I don't ever want to do it again, so I want it done right.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

Georgia - USA
As a newbie I have to say it went really well. Lots of measuring and fine trimming but over all it really went well. 3M headliner adhesive was really good to work with but I went through 6 bottles. I am almost done, have one corner section to go but ran out of daytime.

As a perfectionist I have to say arrggghhh, it could be better, there are a lot of little wrinkles and miss-matches that others don't see or are too polite to see but that bother me.

Quick sum up:
  • The hull liner is easy to work with but any wrinkle you have the reflectix (and that you hardly see with the reflectix) shows with the hull liner. Almost all wrinkles are from the reflectix, not the hull liner.
  • No matter how hard you try, it will not all be square and straight. Cut one piece, glue it down, measure and cut the next piece; don't prepare pieces in advance.
  • I know now why Casita and Scamp like the end overhead storage bins or end bathrooms and tall closets: the upper corners are definitely the hardest points to get right.
  • Good head lamp really helps when aligning the panels
  • The 3M headliner adhesives sticks on contact and sticks very well. Once you touch you are done, there is no realigning.
I will post some pics tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #10

Georgia - USA
Couple progress pics.
Attached Thumbnails
2 Casita 26.jpg   2 Casita 27.jpg  

2 Casita 28.jpg  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks like an excellent job in the pictures, well done!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #12

Name: Josh
Trailer: Boler
Maine
How many yards did folks order and end up using? I, too, am interested in using a marine hull liner in my Boler but first want to come up with a rough cost estimate. Looks good!
1978_Boler1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I've heard the biggest expense can be the adhesive. Might want to get some input on that, too.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #14

Georgia - USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978_Boler1300 View Post
How many yards did folks order and end up using? I, too, am interested in using a marine hull liner in my Boler but first want to come up with a rough cost estimate. Looks good!
I got 30 sq yd and have some left. I used up 6 cans of 3M headliner adhesive. Over all, material cost for marine hull liner and adhesive was about $440.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #15

Georgia - USA
The wrinkles that can be seen are from the Reflectix below. Cutting the corner pieces is quite challenging for somebody with zero artsy talents but overall, I am happy with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
2 Casita 30.jpg   2 Casita 29.jpg  

2 Casita 31.jpg