PD4045 smart chargers and batteries! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
My batt is on the tongue all winter with converter on. My experience of water loss from cells matches Bob Miller's. My old Magnatek was the real battery boiler! The PD is certainly superior by comparison.

jack

Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Go to the bottom of this discussion page and the discussion with the photos at the bottom of the page shows installing the jumper in the pd-4045 for those people running gell type batteries. this changes the charge profile for those people who use that type of battery.

Total Electrical Upgrade • Class B RV and Camper Van Discussion Forum

Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #17

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
You seem to be quoting marketing literature. Marketing statements from the manufacturer are only good for evaluating the marketing department of the manufacturer.

"Show me the money" to quote the movie. Show me charging curves, not marketing literature.

I have a 2009 Scamp. I will look at the manual and publish the model number when I get to the caravan but I can tell you that the voltage out of the charger never varies at all. 13.75V.

I can tell you that a smart charger is supposed to put out a much higher voltage when in bulk mode.

http://batterytender.com/resources/battery-basics.htm/

I was calling the dongle the "charge wizard" simply because I was under the impression that SOME older models could be "upgraded" to a "smart" charger by adding a widget that plugged in to a port on the charger.

So now the question is when that "charge wizard" made it into the charger.

One way or the other, I can tell you that on MY Scamp, there is no temperature sensor and there is no remote voltage sense wires. I know that because there are exactly and only two wires coming to the battery. If there was remote voltage sense, there would be 4 wires. If there was remote temperature sense there would be a little temperature sense element.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Sensed, feedback loop, state of charge monitored and applied voltage adjusted. All same same to me. We are not all EEs here nor are we all capable of analyzing circuitry for function. I will say that if PD is lying, they are doing so in plain English. Losses in the system due to variation in length of run and conductor size? Of course. The assertion that PD is old school disguised by a push button and idiot light? I'd like to see this settled by a schematic, an EE who can talk to the laity, or pistols at dawn but let's get it settled.

jack
Old 11-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mary and Bob,
I've left our motorhome batteries on the smart charger for 7 months while we were off 'trailer traveling' on two occasions. In both cases the batteries were fine when we returned. We did have to add some distilled water but there seemed to be no harm done to the batteries. The batteries were 14 years old when we sold the motorhome.

The motorhome is always drawing current for the fridge and various other sub systems of a motorhome. As well we always leave our fridge on. I have a feeling that leaving the fridge on is better than shutting it off for extended periods, as a result ours are never shut off.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post

Do you have the schematic?
No. Since I own one, a schematic would be nice to have. I suspect they sense battery voltage to determine what output to provide but they could measure output current as well. Without a schematic ( and the software) there is no way I can tell.

Quote:
I have a 2009 Scamp. I will look at the manual and publish the model number when I get to the caravan but I can tell you that the voltage out of the charger never varies at all. 13.75V.

I can tell you that a smart charger is supposed to put out a much higher voltage when in bulk mode.
That's interesting, mine will produce 14.4 volts when my battery is sufficiently discharged. The next step it drops to 13.6 and finally down to 13.2 volts. I found that you can confuse the microcontroller by interrupting the power. Raz
Old 11-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I say: "Let a sleeping dog lie"

BTW: FOR SHAME: Scamp doesn't include that all important "Aerodynamic Drag vs. Speed Curve" chart, but we live without having that information either.
(But at least that bit of info might have been of some help/interest.)

Again, I say: "Let a sleeping dog lie"
Old 11-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
The thread is closed, for now. If you have additional questions about the issues involved, I suggest you contact one another privately.

Closed Thread