Originally Posted by Vickie B.
Sherry---the bunk stayed out for two reasons---the trim molding covers up the holes where the bunk hinge screws in, and I was trying to make the camper lighter and that front couch a "wider" bed. One of us sleeps on the double bed with the dogs, and the other sleeps on the front couch.
Taking the back cushion off (for sleeping time) gave us about 4 more inches of width, making it a very comfortable sleeping spot. BUT with the 1/2 inch hinged plywood in that back cushion (which becomes the top bunk)--it was very heavy and cumberson to move around in that tiny camper. So, took the apholstery apart, removed the plywood, and just slipped my slipcover on the foam.
Now when we make the front couch into a bed, we simply put the back rest cushion on top of the seat cushion, stuff some pillows into the 4 inch emply space, and make up the bed!
BTW---I have saved all the parts I've removed, so that in the event I should ever part with Bean (heaven forbid!!!)---it can be fully restored.
Vickie - We unfortunately haven't had the chance of bringing our dogs camping. After all the time of struggling with the little one's and camping gear we can't imagine trying to figure out where they would sleep along with trying to keep them close by.
It's funny though because I sleep on the bottom bunk and my little one's sleep on the bed with their daddy. It works great and I actually sleep.
Saving the parts was a good idea.
So, today I spent about 6 hrs just banging away at the floor and have almost all of it out......exhausting! I plan to finish up the little bit left and then cutting the new plywood to install. I'm hoping that goes a little smoother. lol After that I will install the cork flooring and carpet. OMG, as I was typing this I was informed by my husband that the cork has to be ordered and takes 10 days. lol hmmmm, we may be going with something else. Oh well I guess the worst is behind me for now. I will post pic's of my work and hopefully of the finished product. Fingers crossed!!!!!