Pex water line question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Pex water line question

I recall a thread that mentioned removing pex water line connections by heating them. I also searched and found one thread that made the same comment.

I'm pretty familiar with various types of plumbing fittings, including pex crimp connectors, but I've never encountered this type of line before that doesn't seem to require a crimp ring, a clamp or a twist and lock connector.

Can someone who has removed and re-installed this type of hose confirm that it can be heated and removed, then heated and re-installed and that it will shrink when cool and not require any sort of clamp.
Attached Thumbnails
11-03-2013 9-34-21 PM  01_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I recall a thread that mentioned removing pex water line connections by heating them. I also searched and found one thread that made the same comment.

I'm pretty familiar with various types of plumbing fittings, including pex crimp connectors, but I've never encountered this type of line before that doesn't seem to require a crimp ring, a clamp or a twist and lock connector.

Can someone who has removed and re-installed this type of hose confirm that it can be heated and removed, then heated and re-installed and that it will shrink when cool and not require any sort of clamp.
Can't you just unscrew the black part? It almost looks like a compression style fitting to me, hard to tell.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Ron
I know a little about that type of PEX fitting but have never heated one for reinst. The PEX and ring is expanded by mechanical means like a tail pipe expander. Once expanded the PEX is suppose to contract to its orig. diameter. The fittings are suppose to be oversize compared to the ones used with the compression rings so the PEX will have a tight fit. I don't think the fitting will work with the ring crimp tools, they might not even fit the pipe unless the pipe is expanded.
I looked at the fastning system but decided to go with the stainless ring clamping system. I just replace the fittings with crimp ring or gator fittings. If you use the gator type fitting make sure you use the pipe insert that comes with the fitting.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
The black part looks like the connector to your water pump. That's probably not something you can buy at a store since it comes with the unit. I've never heard of heating a PEX connector and maybe it's the light, but are you sure that hose really is PEX? And that blue thing doesn't look like anything I've seen on a PEX pipe. If it's only a couple connectors, by far the easiest thing to do is to use Sharkbites. They're available at Home Depot.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Do you want to remove the fiting from the line? Just unscrewing the black collar will disconnect it from the water pump.

If you do have to remove the fitting, and don't want to buy the crimping tool, get a "Flare-It" brand connector. They use a barb and a compression nut connection to lock onto PEX or poly tubing.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks for the info.

What I want to do is cut the line a few inches from the pump and install a tee. But I didn't want to cut the line and then have a problem finding suitable fittings. It sounds like a shark bite fitting is the way to go.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
yes, using a gator or sharkbite fitting will work fine for adding a T to your line. The blue fitting on the current line is a 'press-fit clamp and takes a special tool to install. The sharkbites eliminate the need for the special tool. I have used them both on pex and copper with no leaks or problems.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
That's not PEX, it's some other type of plastic. The distinction may be important when buying fittings.

Here's an excellent short video on the subject of repairs to that kind of line.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
All you want to know about PEX fittings.
Videos - PexSupply.com
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
The black part looks like the connector to your water pump. That's probably not something you can buy at a store since it comes with the unit.
Hummm you may have a good point Terry. In the photo of the pumps that Scamp sells in their parts store they actually appear to come with a blue fitting that goes with them as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
The black part looks like the connector to your water pump. That's probably not something you can buy at a store since it comes with the unit.
While not common, and probably specific to RVs, those screw-on fittings for water pumps are available in at least some of our local RV shops - I have purchased them (in a form with hose barbs - probably what is in the photo) from a local retail RV parts and repair business.

It looks like a replacement connector may not be needed in this case.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Sharkbite Connectors

Quote:
The black part looks like the connector to your water pump. That's probably not something you can buy at a store since it comes with the unit. I've never heard of heating a PEX connector and maybe it's the light, but are you sure that hose really is PEX? And that blue thing doesn't look like anything I've seen on a PEX pipe. If it's only a couple connectors, by far the easiest thing to do is to use Sharkbites. They're available at Home Depot.
I second the Sharkbites They are not cheap for the SS variety but they work great , they don't leak , are easy to install especially in tight spaces , approved for concealed locations and I have never seen the tube pull out of the fitting if installed correctly
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What I want to do is cut the line a few inches from the pump and install a tee.
The installation instructions for common pumps - at least from Shurflo - call for flexible hose for the sections directly connected to the pump. Harder line transmits too much pump noise. This change could be used as an opportunity to quiet down the installation by using hose from the pump to the new tee.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #14

British Columbia
Excellent links, showed me everything that I didn't know about pex including the expansion type used by Scamp. Since I won't be buying one of those power expansion tools and because the pex people even have manifolds using SharkBite connectors, which seems to be a pretty good endorsement of them, SharkBites it is.

Re: flex section to reduce noise from the pump. Good idea, I'm going to rubber mount it and install an accumulator tank also.

Thanks all
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #15

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I just plumbed my boat with PEX and found removing these very difficult. I used the crimp on connectors. My conclusion was you do not want to use these connectors if you ever want to remove them. They seal really well and are, I'm told somewhat good on freezing conditions. I had enough difficulty changing them. I can't imagine trying to service one in a seaway.

I have some terminals that will need to be removed. I plan to try the shark bite style and see how they work out.

My suggestion would be use the crimp straps everywhere except the area you may need to service,
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ron I will be interested to hear at the next camp out if the accumulator makes a big difference or not. Its on my possible one day list. I remounted my pump when I winterized the trailer so dont know if it will/has made any difference.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote