photos of our Scamp 13, 1983 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Congrats, April. My aunt and uncle towed a little Scamp 13 for over fifteen years and loved it... Hope you do, too. Very cute!
Happy Camping!
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
More updates... we have taken on converting the dinette into a "U"

First day of work got us this far...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0700.JPG   IMG_0701.JPG  

April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #23

I used some of the existing old hardware that used to hold the table up to connect the backing to the wall, seems to work well, and is removable. We are going to store our memory foam topper mattress in this space, so we can use the benches for other bedding or supplies. This is still in the early stage, I have not secured the front board in place yet, I still need to sand out the edges and add some trim to hide the rough spots and paint when we decide on a color.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0702.JPG   IMG_0703.JPG  

Old 10-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #24

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
great idea worth stealing. the small hose on your water tap to rinse the sink better. clever!
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #25

I only did that because the tap was so far back, it didn't even reach the sink, just all over the cabinet. and yes, I did take the bench idea from another (thanks Peterh)... great minds think alike you know!!
Quote:
great idea worth stealing. the small hose on your water tap to rinse the sink better. clever!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Alright I did this as well weeks ago too becasue everytime the water ran "low" it dribbled all down the back...so I'm right there with you on that one....I love the mod you did and that looks very comfy cozy......hummmmm maybe I might just change things up a bit

Quote:
I only did that because the tap was so far back, it didn't even reach the sink, just all over the cabinet. and yes, I did take the bench idea from another (Pete)... great minds think alike you know!!
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #27

The wave 3 heater I found on ebay came in today!! I got it for $200, came with feet, hose, and it was inside a nice looking lap top case. Used a few times, but still looks new! I won't be hooking it up until Kirk comes home this Sunday from his Taiko drumming group gig in Mississippi.
Attached Thumbnails
4cfb_1.JPG  
Old 10-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #28

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
That looks like a big heater. Does it get that cold there?

BTW, I'm envious you got your trailer, I'm still looking....Ohio is beginning to look very colorful. I'll do the table mod too, if I ever find one.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #29

The heater is actually pretty small. It's about 11 or 12in square and about 3in thick. It has a range from 1600 - 3000 btu's. We probably won't even need to use it for a while longer, it is just starting to cool off down here.
Keep searching... I was combing all the sources I could find night and day. Yours is out there!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #30

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
very nice work..
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #31

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
until Kirk comes home this Sunday from his [b]Taiko drumming group gig in Mississippi.
I had to Google that. Awesome!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #32

Quote:
I had to Google that. Awesome!
www.Ilovetaiko.org

The houston based group he is in.for 10+ years!! That's devotion!!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #33

Quote:
very nice work..
Thanks Phil, we are just getting started, so hopefully I will have more photos to post in the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, April - congrats on your terrific find! Enjoyed the pics of your special touches and look forward to seeing "the rest of the story" as you go along.

Thanx, too, for the link about the art of taiko. If we were closer to San Francisco, I'd sure be heading to that SFTaiko concert at the end of November - looks awesome!

We wish you safe journeys and many happy memories with your Scamp. Hope our travel paths will cross one day - any chance you'll be at Bandera for the Bluebonnet Rally in April? Take care, L 'n D
Old 10-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #35

Sorry we wont be traveling to CA any time soon. With any luck, by the middle of next summer, we will be packing up to move to the Oregon/Washington area which will put us on the west coast, I see there have been some FG gatherings going on out that way that we would love to attend in the future. I think at this point the closest we could get is CO. We are trying to save up our money so traveling around the country has been put on the back burner until we are ready to move out of H town. Our first destination on that trip will be Valley View Hot Springs!! Melt away those city nerves on our way up to the NW....now that's a plan I can live with Have fun out there going to the FG rallies! AND thanks for keeping up with our FG experience.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #36

Table update... I have cut and sanded the table, and started to add the stain. We had to put the staining part on hold for the weekend due to company being over. I plan to finish the table out this week, and will post updated photos.

Name:   IMG_0711.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  21.5 KB

Just finished sanding...

Name:   IMG_0712.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  24.4 KB

underside, didn't build the slide this time.

Name:   IMG_0714.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  26.8 KB

we added an extra 3" spacer to the "plug" to make the bed extend out a little more.

not bad for our first try...
after we took her out to get the inspection/weight done for registration, we found the new bench top popped up out of place, so I added some velcro to the support railings on both benches and also on the new bench, insert and table underside to make them stick down into place. The sticky velcro seems to really like the fiberglass, they stay bonded well. I am using staples to help keep the velcro attached to the wood. I still need to paint the new bench to match the FG benches as well.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #37

I got the support installed on our sink/upper cabinet. I basically took a wooden dowel, screwed and glued 2 light weight iron shelf supports to it, and painted it with gold paint, with an acrylic clear coat on top. I hope this will hold up for a while. I am not sure what kind of wood the dowel is, but it seems sturdy enough.

Name:   IMG_0773.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  30.1 KB
Old 12-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #38

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I think that dowel is going to be plenty sturdy. The thing is, unless it's made of something ridiculously weak (which dowels usually are not), it's going to be fine because the wood is in compression and tension, which is the strong dimension (in other words, it's vertical, and the force is along that line).

It might have a tendency to bow out in the middle, except I think you've solved that by adding the stability of triangles, in the form of the brackets. The one thing I would keep an eye on -- say, after you've been down some rough roads -- would be the fasteners, just to be sure some odd force isn't mesing with them. I'd think that if the fasteners stay put, in order to transfer the loads, the bracket itself is really strong.

Do note my use of the word "think" numerous times. That's because I'm not a structural expert

Oh, and it looks nice! Thanks for the update.

Raya

PS: I just noticed something that looks "non-Bolerish" about your camper (since you were wondering about it's Scampishness at one point). Of course I have to qualify this by saying that there could easily have been variation amongst Bolers, but on the ones I've noticed (mine, certainly), the part of the kitchen counter mold that makes the "backsplash" only extends up the wall about an inch-and-a-half, vs. the three inches or so on yours.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #39

I was able to sink all the screws that are holding the support into the wood blocks that were already inside the cabinets from the previous brace. The screws were stubborn going in to that old hard wood, so they feel secure. Unless the dowel snaps or bows, I don't think we will have any trouble with the brackets moving out of place. I guess time and use will tell...

Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #40

I got more work done today!!

I painted the 3rd bench with some almost exact match (a little too yellow) oops paint we picked up at lowes for $3.00, nice gloss finish should be easy to clean up. I still want to add a piece of trim to hide the seam where the lid and bench connect, but that will have to happen another day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	17480

I also painted all the cabinet doors gold and sealed them with a clear coat. I added a mirror to the closet door. To avoid the closet door swinging open in transit, I plan to install a latch to lock it down. Ignore the mess and wires, those will eventually get hidden.

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	17481

I added the low boy pump faucet as well. I am still trying to work out how to hide the screws, as we did not want to cut a large hole in the counter to install it, so it has parts showing underneath.

Name:	IMG_0818.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	17483

That's it for now, hopefully we will get those upper cabinets installed next!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0833.JPG  

Tags
scamp