Pictures of Aluminum Foam for floors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
This is pictures of the product Aluminum Foam that will be the replacement for the flooring and studs for the walls of the Beachcomber TM15

It looks bumpy and rough in some of the pictures but really it's quite smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_013.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_014.jpg  

Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_015.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_018.jpg  

Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Hi Rick. is that product going to be on the top or the bottom? I'm replacing my floor as well. Thanks, Marina
Old 06-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Hi Rick. is that product going to be on the top or the bottom? I'm replacing my floor as well. Thanks, Marina

I put more pictures in the original post, just learning how to post pictures to this site so it takes me a minute.

This product is going to be the floor that you see, I'll be coving it with a 2 part clear epoxy coating that would normally go on a garage floor to seal it.

That product is called Rust-Oleum Epoxy Sheild or a similar competitors product.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #4

Registry
That is so cool looking. Where did you come up with the idea?
I've never heard of aluminum for flooring before. If it's easy to install, would you mind
if I steal your idea? Marina
Old 06-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
That is so cool looking. Where did you come up with the idea?
I've never heard of aluminum for flooring before. If it's easy to install, would you mind
if I steal your idea? Marina

Yes it is cool, I came up with the idea because a hobby of mine is finding and investing in Canadian penny stock companies, the company that makes and markets the product is based in Missisauga Ontario and they're called Cymat.

Unfortunately the product is not available to the general public just yet, However you might be able to buy it through their Alusions division (website address is www.alusion.com ) I'm hoping though when they see the pictures of my trailer completed that they make it available.

I mean in my book it meets all the criteria for any travel trailer it's light weight, super strong, water and heat and cold don't affect it doesn't rot or rust, it's really a no brainer for me.

The only down side I see is it is a little on the pricier side.

Picture of the trailer it's going into.

As you can see the top wood is mostly OK but the floor and the walls are rotted to nothing, now my brain says hey the fibre glass is perfect for the most part so the wood is the weak link, that's kinda where the Aluminum foam thought gelled if you'll pardon the fibre glass pun LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Bronco_rebuild_317.jpg   Bronco_rebuild_319.jpg  

Bronco_rebuild_325.jpg   Bronco_rebuild_326.jpg  

Bronco_rebuild_329.jpg  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #6

Registry
That's going to be a cute trailer when you finish. I've just painted the inside of mine...it was ssooo dark inside with the 70's wood paneling. I'm putting up the curtains this week and then working on the flooring. So much work and so little time to do it in. I'm off to a family reunion in Sask in 3 weeks and would like to get it done before then.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can see using in the walls or as a final wall covering, since your trailer doesn't have the rounded corners of an egg... but how is it going to work on the floor if it's foam... won't it dent? The epoxy is fairly flexible, but do you think it's going to stand up to traffic well?? I know linoleum that's got a thin layer of foam as an underlayment sometimes dents and then the floor gets a golf ball look.

Inquiring minds want to know....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
I can see using in the walls or as a final wall covering, since your trailer doesn't have the rounded corners of an egg... but how is it going to work on the floor if it's foam... won't it dent? The epoxy is fairly flexible, but do you think it's going to stand up to traffic well?? I know linoleum that's got a thin layer of foam as an underlayment sometimes dents and then the floor gets a golf ball look.

Inquiring minds want to know....
This stuff is used on military vehicles to stop IEDs so it's pretty strong, think of it like a half inch of solid aluminum for strength but because it has bubbles filled with ceramic particles it's really light weight 55pounds and really strong for a piece 1/2 thick by 4 and a half feet by 9 feet.

Don't think foam like a sponge, think foam like coral or concrete.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
This stuff is used on military vehicles to stop IEDs so it's pretty strong, think of it like a half inch of solid aluminum for strength but because it has bubbles filled with ceramic particles it's really light weight 55pounds and really strong for a piece 1/2 thick by 4 and a half feet by 9 feet.

"Don't think foam like a sponge, think foam like coral or concrete.
Hmm. Haven't run into many IED's lately, but one never knows

I have a step stool that is made with SS tubing made for nuclear subs. How about that?

I LOVE war surplus! Don't they make sailboats out of condcrete? Maybe you have hit on a new type of egg, a concrete egg.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote