Plywood screen doors? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Plywood screen doors?

I searched for these and can't find the link. I made two for my trailer but they were the kind with butt joints was thinking of making the type with full piece plywood. I really liked those. Can someone tell me or link to those topics. Please!
Russell A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What brand of trailer? Sorry though, I've never seen a screen door made out of a full sheet of plywood, at least not on this site. I have seen bi-folds and Gord100 has plans/info for a full screen door here, although you may not have a Trillium: Gord100's Trillium Trailer Webpage

On Edit: okay, take that back.. there was someone that made a screen door out of a piece of plywood, but it's in the Legacy posts so no pictures since that STUPID hacker deleted the photos!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ods-23937.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What brand of trailer? Sorry though, I've never seen a screen door made out of a full sheet of plywood, at least not on this site. I have seen bi-folds and Gord100 has plans/info for a full screen door here, although you may not have a Trillium: Gord100's Trillium Trailer Webpage

On Edit: okay, take that back.. there was someone that made a screen door out of a piece of plywood, but it's in the Legacy posts so no pictures since that STUPID hacker deleted the photos!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ods-23937.html
Sorry tDonna!

But I have to disagree but it was this site as the screen door is full length and even has fancy wood designs like reeds and even flower type. shellacked and all. They were more fitted inside and straight plywood. I recall this because I took special care to see how the right side was arched for the egg curve.

Thanks though. Once I get it I will book mark it. I don't need it just yet as spring is not here but still studying it in my mind.

I watch this thread for some great ideas for my Cargo Trailer. I especially like the kitchens. Will up load some of my pics from Photo bucket. I especially like my idea for alum awnings that stow away. I use adjustable book shelf brackets. Works great. I can even sit out in the hot sun using these to cool myself.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...5/DSCF1132.jpg
Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
I sent the last post up witout seeing the reply Sorry!

It is weird because I saw them and liked them very much the owner did a great job and as you can see I have only been on here for just a few days. So that is puzzling.

Thank You for trying. And thanks for the links that were sent They are a definitely a great help.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #5

Well there's this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cts-31433.html

Now I'm vaguely remembering some pictures taken at a gathering sometime... maybe you'll find what you're looking for in the Gathering Archives?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Well there's this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cts-31433.html

Now I'm vaguely remembering some pictures taken at a gathering sometime... maybe you'll find what you're looking for in the Gathering Archives?
Thank You Donna

That's what I was looking for. I need to do that to my trailer for cross air flow as I have one for my back door as well.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell A View Post
Thank You Donna

That's what I was looking for. I need to do that to my trailer for cross air flow as I have one for my back door as well.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...5/DSCF1132.jpg

Here is the back door. When I need to clean up in the woods This is where this is done.

I originally was going to post the photos but they appeared to be large so I set them as links Enjoy!

Russ

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...11885/TTT2.jpg
Old 12-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
I don't know if this now is a moot point, but the Harold's "oak" screen door frame is not cut as a single piece of plywood.

It appears to me that he's used some nicely machined 90° corners to join the stiles to the upper rail. The center and bottom rail (though fancy!) look to be assembled in the traditional manner.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
I don't know if this now is a moot point, but the Harold's "oak" screen door frame is not cut as a single piece of plywood.

It appears to me that he's used some nicely machined 90° corners to join the stiles to the upper rail. The center and bottom rail (though fancy!) look to be assembled in the traditional manner.
Oh! I'm sorry this is the one I really had in mind.

I will use 3/4 " wood and build it just like the one shown above. When it is completed I will gladly share it with others. My butt jointed screen door gathered ice at the hinge side bottom corner and broke the wood at the joint while trying to open it. I will shorten the new door and add weather stripping instead. I had mine up since 2006. But then I wasn't living in it then.

Thanks for the notice. But it still looks like one piece.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi....dennis (my hubby) has made 2 screen doors out of a sheet of plywood...one for us, one for our friends. they both turned out beautifully....he designed the interior side of the door with a cut out that allows easy replacement of the screen. i'll try to find his post....it's been about 3 years.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #11

Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ilt-32639.html

russell...i haven't ever linked like this before....but i hope you can see this.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
hi....dennis (my hubby) has made 2 screen doors out of a sheet of plywood...one for us, one for our friends. they both turned out beautifully....he designed the interior side of the door with a cut out that allows easy replacement of the screen. i'll try to find his post....it's been about 3 years.
I found it and it's a winner!

Thanks. The middle I plan on changing to a strip that pulls in like a tilt table to reach the outside door handle.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell A View Post
I found it and it's a winner!

Thanks. The middle I plan on changing to a strip that pulls in like a tilt table to reach the outside door handle.

Notice the time. I was already on it but Thank you just the same for your effort. Because I want it is a complement to your husbands work. Looks easy and doable. Everyone else, Thank you as well. Donna!

Russ
Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post

russell...i haven't ever linked like this before....but i hope you can see this.
I remember seeing that! I guess I didn't know it was made out of one sheet of plywood... who would have guessed?, Looks really nice! I'll add the URL to my list for the next person that asks
Old 12-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Quote:
I remember seeing that! I guess I didn't know it was made out of one sheet of plywood... who would have guessed?, Looks really nice! I'll add the URL to my list for the next person that asks

Your great Donna. I see that your always on top of things.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
Is this the one with the reeds that you're thinking of.
Attached Thumbnails
389.jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #17

Registry
when he made the screen door, we fashionned the design to have rounded corners like the windows on our outback...and used the cut-outs, too. the smaller one--from the bottom, is now our stove cover (supported by door stops to raise it up and by using 6 of them, it doesn't slide..) and the larger one is our table, cut to have a fold-down corner. all from one piece of plywood....very easy and very cost-effective!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Is this the one with the reeds that you're thinking of.
Yeah. But I don't have the skills to go that far. But Really like that one as well. Thanks I knew I saw that one as well. My trailer is cargo so I can save floor space and have mine go out as I do now.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #19

You can check out how to make a screen door and other helpful hints at Bolerama. org. Look here at their Helpful Hints section at

Tips
Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #20

Donna D
I tried twice to send you a personal reply but it says that they didn't go through. If you wish I'll reply here
Jim