Polar Cub AC in a Bigfoot? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
This story has developed more twists and turns. It turns out I was completely wrong that the current production model of the Coleman Polar Cub is 9200 BTU. I have been in contact with the factory tech (RV Products Inc.) who told me that the 7700 BTU unit is the only model now being produced. He went on to say that he didn't think the 7700 BTU model was anywhere near adqequate to cool a 21' trailer. I had been led to believe that all new Polar Cubs were 9200 BTU because of a data sheet link in the RV Products website, as well as reading that info on some other RV forums.

Now for the good news. The RV Products tech highly recommended their Polar Mach I Power Saver a/c. This unit has 11000 BTU, but only requires 1307 watts in maximum condition mode and 1048 watts in standard condtion. He said that the Honda 2000 will start and operate the Polar Mach. So instead of swapping out my 7700 BTU for a 9200, I'll be getting the Polar Mach I. This has the same BTU output as the Duotherm a/c that Bigfoot installs, but requires less energy. Exactly what I need - if all the facts turn out to be true. I am already confident it will be cold enough, I just need to find out whether my Honda will definitely make it work.

Needless to say, I didn't know one thing about RV air conditioners when I lived in Alaska. Now I am in a frenzy to resolve my cooling issues before the dreaded southern summer hits me.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: David...The only thing I know for sure around here is that no mater what kind of A/C unit you own it won't break down in the middle of WINTER
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
The Polar Mach I A/C was installed today. After testing it on shore power, I then hooked up to the Honda 2000. I let it run for about 30 minutes and it seems to operate just fine. I tried the eco-mode feature and it still operated the a/c, but I don't know how close I was to maxing the demand. Either way, we will have to be careful not to use microwave, coffee maker, etc with the a/c on, while on generator. We were already doing that in the Casita, so this operation will be no different. Anyway, this was a roundabout road, but I think I was successful in keeping this Bigfoot compatable with my little generator. Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions out there.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 Series (25C9.6E 'Yeti')
Send a message via Yahoo to Pat And Arleen
Can you tell me the model # AC unit you put on the trailer? it seems you can pick from 3 models on the web site.
Quote:
The Polar Mach I A/C was installed today. After testing it on shore power, I then hooked up to the Honda 2000. I let it run for about 30 minutes and it seems to operate just fine. I tried the eco-mode feature and it still operated the a/c, but I don't know how close I was to maxing the demand. Either way, we will have to be careful not to use microwave, coffee maker, etc with the a/c on, while on generator. We were already doing that in the Casita, so this operation will be no different. Anyway, this was a roundabout road, but I think I was successful in keeping this Bigfoot compatable with my little generator. Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions out there.
Pat And Arleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot