Polychute sewer hose - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #15

Name: Evelyn
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot B17-DLX
Oregon Coast
Registry
[QUOTE=trainjunkie;431102]Evelyn,

If your Bigfoot has the square steel bumper for hose storage, the inside of it is probably very rusted and every time you put the hose in or take it out, it is getting thrashed by all the rust, scale, and debris inside the bumper.

On my 1989 Bigfoot I solved this by putting a length of PVC rain gutter material inside the bumper. It cost me about 7 bucks.

Oh, and thanks for the rain gutter tip, too. Maybe I shouldn't worry about getting rid of the rust & just get a rain gutter. On 2nd thought, it can't be OK to leave that bumper so rusty inside. There's already rust spots on the outside of it; don't know if that's coming from inside or outside, though.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #16

Oregon Coast
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I have a rhino flex, and it looks like good quality. To be honest, I've never used it. I haven't used the black water yet, and the gray water goes in the flower beds with a garden hose. Shhhh...

YAY, a fellow gray-water re-purposer (is that a word?)! My yard & garden thrive on gray water. Gives me a good excuse to take off in my Bigfoot -- mission of mercy.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
Sooo, any suggestions on how to get the rust out of the bumper, especially since it opens only on one end? (I love how these posts take on a life of their own!)
Well, I didn't even try to get all the rust out. I believe that would be an exercise in futility. All I wanted to do was get enough of it out to make the rain gutter installation easy enough.

What I did was park it with the right side raised up (using a stack of leveling blocks) then I power washed the inside of the bumper just to get all the loose stuff out. Then I let it air-dry before putting the rain gutter inside the bumper. That was enough to make the rain gutter fairly easy to install and now the hose simply rides on top of the PVC rather than the rusted steel. I'm sure it will continue to rust from the inside out but when the bumper finally dies, I'll just have it cut off and a new one welded on, assuming I even still have this trailer by then.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #18

Oregon Coast
Registry
I didn't power wash the bumper, but instead used a garden hose & mop to clean it out. I'm sure there's still lots left. Great tip about parking on a slant; I'm going to give that a try. As far as the "air drying," we're coming into our rainy season on the Oregon Coast, so that little chore may have to wait a bit!