Polychute sewer hose - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Polychute sewer hose

I hope I'm posting this to the right forum. I'm still getting used to the site -- & loving it, by the way!

So, here's my question: anyone out there with a Polychute brand sewer hose who'd like to give feedback? It sure looks like the answer to an RVer's prayers. The Polychute website sells it for $159, which seems a bit pricey, but over time worth it, maybe?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My cheapo sewer hose lasted five years, with abuse.
I can't imagine spending 16 times as much so I can watch the poop flow by. You can get a 20 inch TV for that money and watch poop flow in HD.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Shux, just get a paper cup and be save your money comes with free instructions
How a paper cup can save the day at an RV sewer hookup - YouTube
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

Oregon Coast
Great advice -- all of you.

My Bigfoot has the original sewer hose (1988), but it's beginning to look a bit worn in places. I want to replace it before anything creepy happens, if you know what I mean.

I like that the Polychute is smooth on the inside. Seems no matter how much rinsing I do, my current one doesn't get completely clean.

Anyway, thank you all for the "expert" advice!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I had a *real* cheap one as well, that last about 5 years but I splurged a little bit more this year and purchased a as I made a new sewer hose holder and decided to give it a new hose to christian it ;-). Pretty happy with the new hose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have been happy with my Rhinoflex sewer hose. While not smooth inside, it's pretty tough and it came with a multisize adapter. Nowhere near the cost of the polychute.

I have not noticed any odor problems or anything from my hose. Emptying gray water after black water seems to wash it out well enough to satisfy me.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #7

Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I had a *real* cheap one as well, that last about 5 years but I splurged a little bit more this year and purchased a as I made a new sewer hose holder and decided to give it a new hose to christian it ;-). Pretty happy with the new hose.
The Rhino looks like a good choice, too. Heck, I'd buy one just because the guy on the video is so darn cute -- that IS one of the criteria, right?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #8

Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have been happy with my Rhinoflex sewer hose. While not smooth inside, it's pretty tough and it came with a multisize adapter. Nowhere near the cost of the polychute.

I have not noticed any odor problems or anything from my hose. Emptying gray water after black water seems to wash it out well enough to satisfy me.
Thanks, Mike. Best kind of advertising is always worth-of-mouth.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have a rhino flex, and it looks like good quality. To be honest, I've never used it. I haven't used the black water yet, and the gray water goes in the flower beds with a garden hose. Shhhh...
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Evelyn,

If your Bigfoot has the square steel bumper for hose storage, the inside of it is probably very rusted and every time you put the hose in or take it out, it is getting thrashed by all the rust, scale, and debris inside the bumper.

On my 1989 Bigfoot I solved this by putting a length of PVC rain gutter material inside the bumper. It cost me about 7 bucks.

I just have a cheapo Camco sewer hose with a straight connector on one end and an elbow on the other and it fits fine. The threaded adapter goes in the left-rear storage compartment right above the holding tank valves. I expect the hose will last for quite some time now that the single biggest contributor to its wear and tear has been eliminated.

This is the hose I have.

Camco Sewer Hose Kit - Walmart.com
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
Heck, I'd buy one just because the guy on the video is so darn cute -- that IS one of the criteria, right?
Most certainly is!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #12

Registry
BTW what sold me on the Rino was that due to how it compacts up I can put a longer hose in my slinky hose holder than I could with my previous cheap hose that did not reduce down in size for storage.

To keep the hose clean if I am camping at spot with water I will often fill the grey tank right up prior to dumping. Dump the black water first then due to the amount of water in the grey tank that will while dumping clean out the hose. Most dump stations also have a water hose that once finished dumping I will put into the slinky once discounted to give it a quick rinse out.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #13

Oregon Coast
[QUOTE=trainjunkie;431102]Evelyn,

If your Bigfoot has the square steel bumper for hose storage, the inside of it is probably very rusted and every time you put the hose in or take it out, it is getting thrashed by all the rust, scale, and debris inside the bumper.

Boy, you're spot-on with that remark! My Bigfoot sat for 7 years under redwood trees in the foggy, damp Santa Cruz mountains of California until this past August when I brought it back to Oregon (long story; it's in my bio). It took me 2 days to get the hose loose from inside the bumper. I tapped, I wiggled, I poured hot water followed by cold water all over the bumper, I saturated the hose as far as I could reach with WD-40 & sewing machine oil, & several other crazy schemes.

Finally, the bumper let loose of the hose. I was so relieved, because I had started thinking in terms of, "OK, now what?" And, indeed, the inside of the bumper is majorly rusted (the hose cleaned up pretty good).

Sooo, any suggestions on how to get the rust out of the bumper, especially since it opens only on one end? (I love how these posts take on a life of their own!)
Old 11-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #14

Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
BTW what sold me on the Rino was that due to how it compacts up I can put a longer hose in my slinky hose holder than I could with my previous cheap hose that did not reduce down in size for storage.

To keep the hose clean if I am camping at spot with water I will often fill the grey tank right up prior to dumping. Dump the black water first then due to the amount of water in the grey tank that will while dumping clean out the hose. Most dump stations also have a water hose that once finished dumping I will put into the slinky once discounted to give it a quick rinse out.
Thanks, Carol, for the tip on completely filling the gray tank. I usually just dump whatever's in there already, but I'll start making sure it's full. I'm so much smarter today than I was yesterday!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #15

Oregon Coast
[QUOTE=trainjunkie;431102]Evelyn,

On my 1989 Bigfoot I solved this by putting a length of PVC rain gutter material inside the bumper. It cost me about 7 bucks.

Oh, and thanks for the rain gutter tip, too. Maybe I shouldn't worry about getting rid of the rust & just get a rain gutter. On 2nd thought, it can't be OK to leave that bumper so rusty inside. There's already rust spots on the outside of it; don't know if that's coming from inside or outside, though.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #16

Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I have a rhino flex, and it looks like good quality. To be honest, I've never used it. I haven't used the black water yet, and the gray water goes in the flower beds with a garden hose. Shhhh...

YAY, a fellow gray-water re-purposer (is that a word?)! My yard & garden thrive on gray water. Gives me a good excuse to take off in my Bigfoot -- mission of mercy.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
Sooo, any suggestions on how to get the rust out of the bumper, especially since it opens only on one end? (I love how these posts take on a life of their own!)
Well, I didn't even try to get all the rust out. I believe that would be an exercise in futility. All I wanted to do was get enough of it out to make the rain gutter installation easy enough.

What I did was park it with the right side raised up (using a stack of leveling blocks) then I power washed the inside of the bumper just to get all the loose stuff out. Then I let it air-dry before putting the rain gutter inside the bumper. That was enough to make the rain gutter fairly easy to install and now the hose simply rides on top of the PVC rather than the rusted steel. I'm sure it will continue to rust from the inside out but when the bumper finally dies, I'll just have it cut off and a new one welded on, assuming I even still have this trailer by then.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #18

Oregon Coast
I didn't power wash the bumper, but instead used a garden hose & mop to clean it out. I'm sure there's still lots left. Great tip about parking on a slant; I'm going to give that a try. As far as the "air drying," we're coming into our rainy season on the Oregon Coast, so that little chore may have to wait a bit!