Polyisocyanurate foam and Fibreglass Techniques - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Polyisocyanurate foam and Fibreglass Techniques

I've been doing a bit of research into techniques for building structural panels using readily available products. Thinking of going this way for the new cabinetry, benches,dividing walls, etc. in the 17 ft. Boler renovation. The goal being panels of light weight, structural strength and relatively low cost.

Presently thinking of using Polyester Fibreglass resin, (the cheaper auto body type) with varying weaves and densities of fibrecloth over sheets of Polyisocyanurate Insulation sheathing. (4x8 sheets of yellow, foil covered foam from the local building supply store.). Apparently I can't use the other Pink or Blue foam as it is an Extruded Polystyrene and the Polyester resin will dissolve it. The pink or blue could be used but one would need to switch to an epoxy resin which is much more expensive here in Calgary. The foil on the yellow foam needs to be removed as the polyester resin will not adhere to it however I performed a little test and it peels easily so not a problem there.

I know it sounds complicated and it is a bit confusing keeping all the "Poly-styrene-isocyanurate-ester terms straight in my head but I think I have enough information to do some experiments.

Hopefully I can get a surface smooth enough to glue-up a wood veneer should I decide to finish the interior this way. If not, I will paint with Interlux. Perhaps a combination

Anyone have any experience with these building techniques and can provide advice to steer me away from potential problems?

http://www.iko.com/shared/commercial...chEnerfoil.pdf

Bondo Fiberglass Resin

I will film the tests and keep you posted.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin61 View Post
I've been doing a bit of research into techniques for building structural panels using readily available products. Thinking of going this way for the new cabinetry, benches,dividing walls, etc. in the 17 ft. Boler renovation. The goal being panels of light weight, structural strength and relatively low cost.

Presently thinking of using Polyester Fibreglass resin, (the cheaper auto body type) with varying weaves and densities of fibrecloth over sheets of Polyisocyanurate Insulation sheathing. (4x8 sheets of yellow, foil covered foam from the local building supply store.). Apparently I can't use the other Pink or Blue foam as it is an Extruded Polystyrene and the Polyester resin will dissolve it. The pink or blue could be used but one would need to switch to an epoxy resin which is much more expensive here in Calgary. The foil on the yellow foam needs to be removed as the polyester resin will not adhere to it however I performed a little test and it peels easily so not a problem there.

I know it sounds complicated and it is a bit confusing keeping all the "Poly-styrene-isocyanurate-ester terms straight in my head but I think I have enough information to do some experiments.

Hopefully I can get a surface smooth enough to glue-up a wood veneer should I decide to finish the interior this way. If not, I will paint with Interlux. Perhaps a combination

Anyone have any experience with these building techniques and can provide advice to steer me away from potential problems?

http://www.iko.com/shared/commercial...chEnerfoil.pdf

Bondo Fiberglass Resin

I will film the tests and keep you posted.
Boatbuilder I worked for sandwiched end-grain Balsawood panels under horizontal surfaces (tops of coaming lockers for sturdier winch installation). So you were dealing with the deck laid up in a mold and adding material to the back side. Fabmat always seemed to me to flat out a little better than roving but disturbed fibers of almost any wgt cloth or mat don't lay down period. You'd have to dress any surface you laminated to with a sanding block but no big deal. If it's not a compound curve it will receive laminate. I know nothing of foam exccept that we tried a couple of times to fill a big glass rudder with isocyanate foam. If there was a blockage above still-expanding foam, you got a pregnant rudder. Obviously that's anecdotal, irrelevent, and you won't have that problem.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote