Poor Man's Camp Kitchen 2010 "Remodel" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Poor Man's Camp Kitchen 2010 "Remodel"

Here we go---since I couldn't make Rick's camp kitchen this week, and since I got such positive feedback from my milk crates and boards edition, I decided to take some of Rick's ideas, and add them to mine.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010001.jpg   P1010002.jpg  

P1010004.jpg   P1010006.jpg  

Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #2

Registry
Details:

DO NOT try and paint your milk crates with Krylon Fushion Textured Brown/Gold Flecked paint! I now have 4 sparkling, rough textured, paint peeling crates in my garage (stop laughing Sherry!)

So, my boards are wrapped with vinyl (I love the fabric store!) I just couldn't face painting again in this hot humid weather (except for the dish pan addition).

I used pvc for the legs on the end holding up the dish pan/drainer. My biggest hurdle was doing dishes in the camper with just one sink. So I chose to use a 2 sided bucket (wash side and rinse side). It then can be removed from the shelf and stored underneath.

The crates have fabric bins in them. Not sure how I'll like them, but couldn't find anything that fits as well made from plastic. Paper towel holder on left side, plenty of storage. Can be covered with large size bar-b-q cover.

I just set my grill on top for a prop. I will really have my camp stove there.

Here's where I need your HELP----what can I set under the camp stove that protects the board/vinyl from heat? All I can think of is the material ironing board covers are made with, or a cutting board. Ideas????
Old 08-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler
OMGAWD That is AWESOME!!! I got some bigger milk crates the other day and was going to try and make one like yours.. I am liking this idea much better.. Soooo cooooll... Your amazing Vickie..
Thanks so much for sharing and putting your ideas out there..
Barb
Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler
An idea for the heat from your camp stove.. Use a cookie sheet or large tin plate for the oven.. thin and light easy to carry.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #5

Registry
Thanks, Barbie! I was hoping a cookie sheet would work, wasn't sure!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #6

Registry
And here it is broken down (sorry about the color---must have forgotten the flash)
Attached Thumbnails
P1010005.jpg   P1010004.jpg  

Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #7

Name: sherry
Trailer: Traveleze
Alaska
wow.....I commented on the older post. I didn't see the date until after. LOL
Your pretty creative. I was impressed with the older one but this one is much more stylish. I love the storage bins and I use them in my closet for all my little goodies. This kitchen is not only functional but very stylish. Good job!! you know, you should really try painting the milk crates. LMBO....j/k I think that the ironing board cover burns with too much heat. I'd go with the cookie sheet idea.....they have the silicone one's that role up for 20 and you can get them at bed bath and beyond.
highlandsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
How tall is it if you don't mind me asking? I'm fairly tall, and nothing gets my back in a knot more than a short counter top. But I love the design!
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
under camp stove mat

I saw a mat for under the camp stove-at Cabela`s or Bass Pro-can`t remember which one. Was going to get one for our daughter and son-in-law-but they now have a beautiful full kitchen (he built it) in their 15 ft canned ham.

I give up---I can`t keep up with Vickie-she should be an inventor!

The butterfly on your screen door--is it a sticker or magnet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Details:

DO NOT try and paint your milk crates with Krylon Fushion Textured Brown/Gold Flecked paint! I now have 4 sparkling, rough textured, paint peeling crates in my garage (stop laughing Sherry!)

So, my boards are wrapped with vinyl (I love the fabric store!) I just couldn't face painting again in this hot humid weather (except for the dish pan addition).

I used pvc for the legs on the end holding up the dish pan/drainer. My biggest hurdle was doing dishes in the camper with just one sink. So I chose to use a 2 sided bucket (wash side and rinse side). It then can be removed from the shelf and stored underneath.

The crates have fabric bins in them. Not sure how I'll like them, but couldn't find anything that fits as well made from plastic. Paper towel holder on left side, plenty of storage. Can be covered with large size bar-b-q cover.

Here's where I need your HELP----what can I set under the camp stove that protects the board/vinyl from heat? All I can think of is the material ironing board covers are made with, or a cutting board. Ideas????
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #10

Registry
GordM--the unit as shown is 27 1/2 inches tall. My husband thought it might be too short, but I am 5'6" and it's fine for me. There may be a way to make it taller----you just have to be sure it's stable. If you added another crate---it would be almost 40" tall (which would be like a bar!!!!! LOL) but you might have to add something to make it stable: thicker plywood (mine is 1/4"), or figure out posts or tie downs or something. Maybe a thicker base could raise it enough for you--but then again, you add weight.

NOTE: keep in mind that the crates I used are VERY sturdy! The first 4 (that I ruined with paint) were actual crates that milk used to be delivered in. This second set consists of one real milk crate and 3 I got years ago from Target--made of very hard plastic. And if you are mixing and matching crates---make sure they are the same height---or you'll have a sliding table!

Sherry and Reitha---LOVE the mat idea! Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop are quite a drive from me (darn it), but BB&B is just a couple blocks---so I'll get cleaned up and check that out!

Reitha--would you believe that butterfly is an iron on patch. When I saw it, I knew it was what I wanted, so I figured I could make it work (yeah, like painting milk crates!)
Because hot glue and I DO NOT get along---I used Aileen's Tacky Glue. And because I didn't want to look at the hole in the screen and back of the butterfly from inside the camper---I traced around the butterfly on a piece of brown felt, cut that out, and glued it on the inside of the door (carefully trying to match the 2 shapes). It kinda looks like the shadow of the butterfly on the inside. The glue oozed through the screen and attached them together. Didn't know if it would work--but it did!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #11

info

Thanks for the info. Wish I had some info for you-but you seem to have all the bases covered--good job!

Quote:
GordM--the unit as shown is 27 1/2 inches tall. My husband thought it might be too short, but I am 5'6" and it's fine for me. There may be a way to make it taller----you just have to be sure it's stable. If you added another crate---it would be almost 40" tall (which would be like a bar!!!!! LOL) but you might have to add something to make it stable: thicker plywood (mine is 1/4"), or figure out posts or tie downs or something. Maybe a thicker base could raise it enough for you--but then again, you add weight.

NOTE: keep in mind that the crates I used are VERY sturdy! The first 4 (that I ruined with paint) were actual crates that milk used to be delivered in. This second set consists of one real milk crate and 3 I got years ago from Target--made of very hard plastic. And if you are mixing and matching crates---make sure they are the same height---or you'll have a sliding table!

Sherry and Reitha---LOVE the mat idea! Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop are quite a drive from me (darn it), but BB&B is just a couple blocks---so I'll get cleaned up and check that out!

Reitha--would you believe that butterfly is an iron on patch. When I saw it, I knew it was what I wanted, so I figured I could make it work (yeah, like painting milk crates!)
Because hot glue and I DO NOT get along---I used Aileen's Tacky Glue. And because I didn't want to look at the hole in the screen and back of the butterfly from inside the camper---I traced around the butterfly on a piece of brown felt, cut that out, and glued it on the inside of the door (carefully trying to match the 2 shapes). It kinda looks like the shadow of the butterfly on the inside. The glue oozed through the screen and attached them together. Didn't know if it would work--but it did!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #12

grill mat

Cabela`s has the grill mats-not in store anymore-online. Bacova grill mat-2 designs-on sale now for $7.99.

You can see them on their website.

Quote:
Details:

Old 09-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #13

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Vicki, thanks for the link back to this great project!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
To answer Vicki's question from 6 years ago, carbon felt is what you need under a grill to protect a tabletop from heat. It's a product that welders use to protect surroundings from the heat produced by a torch. It will withstand 2,000 degrees F. Home Depot and Lowe's sell it.

https://www.amazon.com/HIGH-TEMP-FEL...ds=carbon+felt
Old 09-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #15

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
To answer Vicki's question from 6 years ago, carbon felt is what you need under a grill to protect a tabletop from heat. It's a product that welders use to protect surroundings from the heat produced by a torch. It will withstand 2,000 degrees F. Home Depot and Lowe's sell it.

https://www.amazon.com/HIGH-TEMP-FEL...ds=carbon+felt
I suspect that regular silicone potholders would work also. I have four of them I place under the bumpy "feet" of my propane stove, but I do this to keep it from sliding around on the slick top of the camp table.