Portable AC and Generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 02:03 AM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Portable AC and Generator

Greetings!

After a few purchases of AC units for other locations, I am ordering this unit, based on maker, size, BTU for use in my 1973 Lovebug or 1972 Eriba Puck or
26' MacGregor Sailboat.

Honeywell MF08CESWW 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control

The Eriba Puck and Sailboat are in HOT Arizona where I plan to try the unit
this next week in the expected 120 heat.

The variables will be the Puck is not fiberglass but is similar in size to my 1973 Lovebug and the sailboat cabin is considerably larger inside but will also get cooled by the water.

As the sailboat in trailered at the marina, I'm going to cool her down just to see how well the unit does dry dock. I'll put a thermometer in and keep an eye as to how quickly the temperatures drop. I would guess the cabin is roughly twice the size of the interior of the 13' Lovebug if I cover the area before the galley and don't cool that, leaving the galley, dining area and sleeping area.

If anyone has any thoughts on a generator I am shopping for one now. I guess I could do gas on the sailboat, my small engine is gas and I carry fuel for it. I had an electric generator for my electric golfcart that I really liked, however. I would charge it before going out for my landscape painting journey and if I ever ran out of juice I could recharge my Trojan batteries with the generator and get home. If I recall correctly, that was a Thompson?

I'd appreciate any input on this Honeywell AC unit and a portable, lightweight generator. It would be good to be able to take them between boat and campers so lightweight is important.

Cheers! Thanks so much!
Gigi

Move forward confidently, dare to live the life you've imagined!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Honda EU2000i Review: Really as Good as Advertised?

generators... but if you must, see above.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Running any generator to power your A/C at night will not be welcome in most campgrounds and will be prohibited in many.

Add to that, better quality generators tend to grow legs unless attached to something very big with a very big cable, but not close to your RV's or anybody else's RV for that matter.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Gordy is giving you one of the best in the world suggestions. You can also look at Yamahas and there's a few others now that can compete with the Honda for less money.

If you want a "throw-away" AND if noise wasnt an issue, you cant beat the Champion 3500/4000 for the money. $300. But it's noisy and wouldnt be allowed in a campground most likely. I have one that I used at model flyins where we're staying out in fields and noise isnt an issue. I can run my A/C with heat strip, HottRod on the water heater and fridge with barely a burp out of that gen. It also comes standard with a 30A receptacle.

You gonna find most people on this forum HATES generators.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Inverter generator

I saved big bucks and bought a 2800 watt inverter generator from Home Depot(on line only) for $899. It has remote start. I have it mounted on the tongue of my Scamp 16. I have had it for 2 years and it has performed flawlessly. I can run my AC and my microwave at the same time with no problem and it is super easy on gas. It ran a 13.5 ac on my hilo with no problems. It is lest than half the price as a Honda and is very quiet operating.
It is a Lifan and made in China but I don't care hehe
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #6

You guys are Rockstars! I think I found the perfect generator!

gordon2, and All,

Thanks so much for the great advice. I should have included this information for context,
I have to preface all of this with the fact that I don't like the noise produced by generators either. It's an unpleasant addition to our sweet serene camping experiences we seek.

Mine is more than a want, however, if I hope to camp as I have epilepsy and the heat I experience can induce seizures which I have under control rather well-when I am in normal conditions. I no longer drive, because of the seizures, and so I have someone take me out with my camper to leave me for some days so I may paint, my occupation.

gloriafredricks.com has some of my paintings from my camping trips or travels, my favorite time to paint. I have loads more photos to add from the east coast and Arizona area, I just haven't taken the time to do so.

Anyway, back to the reason for the post:
gordon 2 I do like the Honda. They have always been a great choice. The money was a concern but, I've always read they are the best and I am out for days and sometimes beyond cell reach.

Bob, I agree, these can be easily taken and as I want to have mine mobile from camper to boat, can I make it secure enough?

As for running mine, I like to be out camping in abandoned farms - with the owners permissions, or near a butte, often places farther away from the crowds as I am really an off the grid camper without need of any amenities as I like to paint undisturbed.

Darral T - I wonder if that brand wasn't what I purchased for my electric golfcart.
I could legally drive the electric golf cart and took it out on the bike paths-which no one else used and the city/county said I could-and I would charge my Trojan batteries while driving my cart! I was always pushing to see just how far out I could get with my cart and that generator! It was a bit noisy, but, when in town, I didn't mind that as people would see me more easily, and be less inclined to run me over - which almost happened a few times!

I just looked at what you suggested, it's really heavy, but very affordable.
Thank you!

Do I need 3500 to 4000 Watts just to push out enough juice for the AC?

Or do I need that much wattage for it to last the night? If it is the latter, I would almost prefer to buy two smaller ones and have to change them than have the one heavy one.

cmartin - You gave me more clues to what I need and I found this:

Champion Power Equipment No.75531i Inverter Generator, 3100-watt
for $899 on Amazon

The stats from the webpage on Amazon:
Quiet, lightweight and portable; the Champion 3100W Inverter Generator provides clean, quiet power for campsites, RV's, cabins and other remote locations. 2800 Watts Rated, 3100 Watts Maximum output is powerful enough to start a 15,000btu air conditioner. Inverter Technology provides clean power (safe for sensitive electronics) and variable speed engine to reduce noise, conserve fuel and lengthen the life of the engine. Lightweight - only 80 lbs and includes integrated wheels and stow away handle. Quiet - only 58 Dba. Powered by Champion 171cc OHV engine designed specifically for the 3100 Watt inverter generator will run 8 hours on a full tank of gas at 25% load. EPA/CARB approved for sale in 50 states. Features fully enclosed durable housing with easy carry handle, 1 - 120V Duplex outlet (5-20R), 1-12V DC Outlet w/cables included, and 1 - TT30 Receptacle - RV Ready. Includes: Overload Protection, Low Oil Sensor and Economy Mode Switch. Dimensions: 24.2" (L) x 18.5" (W) x 19.7" (H). 2 Year Limited Warranty. Champion has the best Product Quality and Customer Service in the business. All Champion products are cover by our Lifetime Free Technical Support and 2 Year Limited Warranty. All product technical, service and warranty inquiries must go through Champion and our 24/7 tech line 888-696-0668 FREE or a Champion Authorized Service Center, call 888-696-0668 FREE for a location near you. Champion products cannot be returned to a retail store or e-tailer, please call 888-696-0668 FREE or email support@championpowerequipment.com.

So, the only question left - If I purchase a 1500 watt generator that is lightweight will it have enough juice to run a portable AC but then tap out in the middle of the night?
I do like the lighter weight models.
Do I need at least 3000 watts?

Looking forward to more from you! Many thanks for your generous input!
Gigi
Old 08-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #7

Name: Linh
Trailer: UHAUL
California
Don't skimp out on the generator. Honda's are bulletproof. Yamaha's are great just not as popular. Check craigslist and you'll find a honda eu2000 for under 1k.
USDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Recharging RV while driving

Can you Recharge your RV camper batts while driving by a. Hooking them up to tug's electrical system, beefed up for the purpose. b. Running your gas generator while driving. ? I assume the usual battery hookup cannot run AC all night though......l
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #9

It is pretty much standard practice to charge your coach battery from the TV's charging system while under way. This is usually accomplished by using a 7-pin connection which will include circuits for the lights, electric brakes (if used) and the charging line. This usually does not require and "Beefing Up" of the TV's charging system.

Caveats include running a very heavy, fused, wire (usually about a #10 stranded) from the battery + side to the 7-pin connector and a like size wire from the trailers connector to the battery. Some vehicles (many GM's) have a built-in fused connection for this in the under-hood fuse box and may be prewired as well.

Running the generator while under way is listed near the top of bad ideas in life in general.

A/C units require 120VAC power and do not run off of battery power.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Thanks Bob.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #11

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5fb
Oregon
Regarding buying Honda generators from craigslist, etc: Many of them are stolen units. If the seller does not have the owner's manual and original sales receipt, I would stay away. Buying a stolen generator just encourages more theft.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Worto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #12

Name: Linh
Trailer: UHAUL
California
I bought my honda generator from craigslist as well as my uhual ct. I think you just need to use common sense. To say most of them are stolen units is pretty funny. Sure if you're buying iphones, xbox, jordans, etc.. I would say beware. Camp Chef Stove... safe to say it probably won't be STOLEN.
USDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #13

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
Two things about Honda 2000 generators. (Maybe other makes as well)
If you need more than 2000 watts at times you can combine two of them and get 4000 watts. If you only need 2000 watts then only run one. Many people use this setup. It does double the price but gives you options.
The other nice thing is that you can use an external gas tank as the Honda has it's own fuel pump. I rigged mine up by removing the vent from the Honda gas tank lid and screwed in a 1/4" fitting on a 90* fitting then used a quick connector from a boat fuel line and a 5 gallon plastic gerry can with a drop hose to reach the bottom. The honda sucks the fuel from the gerry can. I haven't had to pour gas into the Honda tank for the last 6 years and it would run for days if you wanted.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
I checked the specs on the Honeywell MF08CESWW and it shows power consumption of 700 watts @ 6.3 amps. If that is accurate the small 28 lb Honda 1000 with an output of 900 watts at 8.3 amps would run it but it would be a near full load for it. The light weight would sure be nice but the run time at full load would be limited to about four hours on its .6 gallon gas tank. Also the use of other power while running the air conditioner would be limited due to the near maximum power consumption.

For $200 more (retail) There is the 46 lb Honda 2000 with an output of 1600 watts @ 13.3 amps. While it is not enough to start a conventional 13,500 RV air conditioner it should easily handle the Honeywell which would be consuming much less percentage of the generator's capacity. So it should have a run time of six to eight hours on its .9 gallon gas tank.

I have owned a Yamaha 2400 and a Yamaha 2800. They are both nice generators and I will recommend either for someone needing to power a trailer with a 13,500 air conditioner but they are a little heavier and more expensive. They weigh around 60 to 70 lbs.

I have never owned a Honda but in this circumstance I would go with the 2000. Any other generator will be too heavy or too noisy or both.

As others have mentioned you need a sturdy cable or chain to secure a generator so that an opportunistic thief cannot quickly grab it. That will deter 95% of them.

A couple more considerations:

You must run a generator outside. But in the event of rain you can't run it. In fact you must cover it or get it inside so it does not get soaked.

Modern day gasoline all contains ethanol which makes a white soapy looking residue that stops up small engine carburetors very quickly. The service departments of Yamaha (and I am sure Honda) charge $90 or more to remove a carburetor and clean it. And that will be every year if you don't use a fuel additive such as Sea Foam etc. Also to shut the generator off you turn off the fuel valve and let it run out of gas so the carburetor is empty.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #15

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
The Honda 2000 will run a 13,500 BTU RV air conditioner. What you have to do is replace the start capacitor in the AC unit with one that is rated as "hard start". I believe when I changed mine it was less than 20 dollars and is easy to change. There is lots of infor on the internet about it.
I don't know why you wouldn't run a generator out side in the rain I've usually just covered it with a chunk of plywood or whatever is around. It happily purrs away.
Speaking of ethanol there are different rules in different areas. Any small engine especially two cycle like weed eaters or chain saws should be running ethanol free premium.
Here is a website showing ethanol free gas by area.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Honda EU2000i Review: Really as Good as Advertised?

generators... but if you must, see above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDM View Post
Don't skimp out on the generator. Honda's are bulletproof. Yamaha's are great just not as popular. Check craigslist and you'll find a honda eu2000 for under 1k.
Gordon2 and USDM, The Honda's aren't as much as I remembered them being a few years ago. I think Honda may get my money. I do appreciate the quiet.
Thanks so much!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
Two things about Honda 2000 generators. (Maybe other makes as well)
If you need more than 2000 watts at times you can combine two of them and get 4000 watts. If you only need 2000 watts then only run one. Many people use this setup. It does double the price but gives you options.
The other nice thing is that you can use an external gas tank as the Honda has it's own fuel pump. I rigged mine up by removing the vent from the Honda gas tank lid and screwed in a 1/4" fitting on a 90* fitting then used a quick connector from a boat fuel line and a 5 gallon plastic gerry can with a drop hose to reach the bottom. The honda sucks the fuel from the gerry can. I haven't had to pour gas into the Honda tank for the last 6 years and it would run for days if you wanted.
Stillwater, this is exactly what I wanted to see possible. I'd rather only have one generator and not have to get up in the middle of the night.
Thank you for your generous advice.
I see our next poster has some good additions to this as well.
Cheers!
Gigi
Old 08-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #18

Bruce, you are the genius today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
I checked the specs on the Honeywell MF08CESWW and it shows power consumption of 700 watts @ 6.3 amps. If that is accurate the small 28 lb Honda 1000 with an output of 900 watts at 8.3 amps would run it but it would be a near full load for it. The light weight would sure be nice but the run time at full load would be limited to about four hours on its .6 gallon gas tank. Also the use of other power while running the air conditioner would be limited due to the near maximum power consumption.

For $200 more (retail) There is the 46 lb Honda 2000 with an output of 1600 watts @ 13.3 amps. While it is not enough to start a conventional 13,500 RV air conditioner it should easily handle the Honeywell which would be consuming much less percentage of the generator's capacity. So it should have a run time of six to eight hours on its .9 gallon gas tank.

I have owned a Yamaha 2400 and a Yamaha 2800. They are both nice generators and I will recommend either for someone needing to power a trailer with a 13,500 air conditioner but they are a little heavier and more expensive. They weigh around 60 to 70 lbs.

I have never owned a Honda but in this circumstance I would go with the 2000. Any other generator will be too heavy or too noisy or both.

As others have mentioned you need a sturdy cable or chain to secure a generator so that an opportunistic thief cannot quickly grab it. That will deter 95% of them.

A couple more considerations:

You must run a generator outside. But in the event of rain you can't run it. In fact you must cover it or get it inside so it does not get soaked.

Modern day gasoline all contains ethanol which makes a white soapy looking residue that stops up small engine carburetors very quickly. The service departments of Yamaha (and I am sure Honda) charge $90 or more to remove a carburetor and clean it. And that will be every year if you don't use a fuel additive such as Sea Foam etc. Also to shut the generator off you turn off the fuel valve and let it run out of gas so the carburetor is empty.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce! Thank you! I love this detail, it really helps me understand how to make the correct purchases. I'd done the math roughly based on my research and had arrived at similar numbers with the Yamaha. Thank you for working all this out, it makes great sense and I so appreciate seeing the comparisons.

It's nice to hear Yamaha offers a good generator but the Hondo will outperform it and is quieter for my application. It is the clear choice. When I searched the Honda's, I was surprised to see how much more affordable they are now than the last time I checked on them.

I like the small air conditioner for the campers and my Arizona boat, and I am going to invest in the Honda 2000. The fact I can use this for my sailboat and campers for heating and cooling and also for my electronics/work, it makes a lot of sense.

I am hoping LB gets out here for his/le Puck's shakedown cruise I'm planning! His work has become very busy due to computer issues, I remain hopeful! I guess I can always park at the marina and try everything out. But, le Puck is going to be awesome when I'm done with her today!!!

So, off to Amazon to order AC and a Generator!!! I guess I'll have to construct a tarp in case there's rain, good to know. We should be so fortunate! Arizona has been hot, hot, hot!

You are all so amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Loverboy should be a Happy Camper with Dutch Oven cooking, The Grand Canyon, and now AC! Who wouldn't be happy with this? It's just Bliss!

Anything I am missing? Do I need anything else? Oh, Boy, this is exciting!
Old 08-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Tarp would have a real problem if it gets against the hot engine or exhaust. Piece of plywood to set on top is a common approach. Want to get fancy you could hinge three pieces. Two sides and a top. With a rod and/or thin chain or cable between the sides on the end to hold them apart.

One thing about the type of generator the Honda (and Yamaha I believe) is that they can adjust throttle to just meet electrical load. Meaning between cycles of the AC compressor running the fuel consumption drops considerable amount. Cheap generators tend to jump to pre-determined throttle point as soon as it has any load or when load exceeds the current throttle. E.G Can only be at 1/4, 1/2 or Full throttle.

Honda is infinitely variable throttle so not going to jump to full throttle because 1/2 isn't enough, has the option of going to 9/16 throttle :-) I have an old 4000 watt genrac model for the house and it has three speeds. On, 1/2 throttle or full throttle. Turn on 1 single 40 watt light over what 1/2 throttle will support and boom it goes to full speed. Which is also noisier I might add.

Hey I'm not a huge fan of generators in campgrounds but I get medical need (people with CPAP needing to charge batteries is another case) and a willingness to camp away from the organized campground makes noise a non-issue to me. If you are in the middle of the national forest I just don't think it matters, cheek by jowl in a campground it does.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #20

Engine speed has to do with the Type of generator you are using.

Older, and todays less expensive generators (aka Conventional) have an AC generator that has to run at a set speed, usually 3600 or 1800 RPM, in order to put out the 60 hertz power required. If the frequency was above or below that, it could quickly play havoc with almost all A/C appliances & non-appliance loads. Engine speed must remain a constant, even as the load changes.

The Honda 2000EU and others of similar "Inverter" generators, use DC from the generator set itself to drive an electronic "Inverter" that supplies a constant 60 hz. output. Therefore, engine speed can vary in respect to load.

Tags
generator