Possible Alternative to Rat Fur or Ensolite? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Name: Pamela
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Has anyone tried a variation of a spray-on or roll-on truck bed liner type material as an alternative to Rat Fur or Ensolite on a fiberglass camper? I was wondering how well something like that would work. It should at least be easy to keep clean once it was on there.

Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Name: Herschel AKA BAMA & Pachyderm Posse
Trailer: 2010 Casita LD 17 , tug 2015 Ram Hemi 5.7 395 hp 410 lbs T
Hi my2 cents that stuff is petro base I think ( healthy ? ) and very heavy . if you do let us know how it works out . good luck . just my 2 cents .

BAMA & Pachyderm Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
We once painted an entire Jeep exterior with bed liner. It looked good innitially but turned out to be impossible to clean. Yes it is water proof and can be washed, but dirt just sticks to it!
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Most bed liners I've seen are very rough when finished.. Wouldn't want to lean on it...Wouldn't provide much insulation value... I've seen it used on the front outside for a stone guard, but don't think I would like it on the interior..... Safe travels....
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
I'd wonder about the insulation properties. It's not designed for insulation. If it doesn't have any, then all that's been accomplished is covering the raw fiberglass.

If you're looking to spray something that does have insulation properties, check out LizardSkin. It's used inside all kinds of vehicles and Oliver uses it between the hull and interior. But, it requires special equipment and it's expensive.

Lizardskin Ceramic Insulation and Sound Barrier

Someone over on Bolerama used Lizardskin... it cost him over $1,000. See Bolerama post 8029.4 for more info.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Rhino Lining and similar products may cover the interior of the trailer just fine, however, there is little or no insulation value to the product.

Additionally, small trailers like these have or can have interior condensation problems, that develop when the interior moisture level (from our respiration) reaches the dewpoint, like on a cool night, it will appear the whole inside shell of the trailer is wet.

Personally if I were to remodel another trailer again, and I may, I would actually get 3/4 inch ensolite to insulate the exterior shell from the inside and use rat fur or something similar as a finish covering.

Gary Carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote