Possible remodel? to accomodate dogs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
As I don't have a trailer, its a little hard to be specific. But in looking at different models it occurs to me that some might be tight for me and 3-4 corgis (small short dogs.) I was wondering about remodeling a dinette/bed to put built in dog-crates under the bed. They'd only have to be about 14-16 inches high, but ideally would open from the front with the bed set up. Does this sound possible? It would be a small trailer (13 foot at most.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How about something similar for confining small children. Here's a link to a front-of-the-trailer mod. Maybe with a gate, your pets wouldn't need to be in crates? Or you could double-decker the crates some on the bottom and some on the top bunk?

bunkbed modification, bunkbed mod for kids

Can you tell I don't have pets
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Was that a couch space before? That's a good idea, and would work even if I wanted a couch there- I could put the crates under the couch. (Assuming I find a model that works for me that has a couch or bunk in that location.)

I'm thinking of wanting to crate at least one or two of them some of the time. Plus, without separate places to sleep, they would fight over the space under the bed. (Corgis aren't the most peace-loving of breeds- they are little megalomaniacs.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep Bonnie, that was a front goucho model trailer. The owner removed the bottom seating area, but left the top hinged bunk. If you leave the "couch" part, there isn't any place to put the crates "underneath"...unless you just set the crates on the couch. If you go this route, there isn't any modfications needed. Just flip up the bunk, set on poles, place crates where needed top and bottom.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I'm thinking of wanting to crate at least one or two of them some of the time. Plus, without separate places to sleep, they would fight over the space under the bed. (Corgis aren't the most peace-loving of breeds- they are little megalomaniacs.)

Bobbie
Hi, Bobbie. I can understand the predicament. We also like the crates to be removeable, so we can take them outside, if we want.

I assume you have the plastic kennel types. Would it be an option to have a sheet of plywood lay over the top of the crates at nite, with a foam mattress on top for you? That would leave you the option of taking the crates out as needed, and not take out any extra space. You can build a kind of extra brace, like a workmate type frame for support in the middle area. Then during the day you could use it at a seating area...

I would think about the heat, though, as a confined area would not circulate the air very well, and it may get quite hot for the pooches.
Nicole M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Bobbie,
We have covered the back seat of our tow vehicle with a piece of plywood which has 2 front legs for support. With a layer of carpet the dogs were quite comfortable. Our 3 dogs ranged in size from 30# - 55#. The space is large enough for them to move around to make themselves comfortable, both while on the road and when sleeping at night. They weren't disturbed by us at night and we didn't have to worry about them being underfoot if we had to get up in the middle of the night. Not a very expensive mod. An X-Pen kept them confined when staying in a park or visiting friends.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote