Power converter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: Bill & Pam
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 17.5
Washington
Power converter

I have a 1985 16' Scamp, layout 4. The original converter is in the front left corner of the trailer, in front of the bathroom, under the front couch. It is pretty inaccessible.
I would like to put in (or have put in) a Progressive Dynamics 4045. Has anyone done this? Where have you mounted it?
Another possibility is the PD9245C. I think (not sure) this is the one that Scamp uses in the new trailers.
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Unlike many people I've found a converter pretty useless. I rely on the battery, the charge line from the tow vehicle, a Battery Minder, and a solar panel. We've been out for most the winter months (90+ days) for the 5 years. Never with electricity and managed just fine.
When the trailer is at home a Battery Minder does the job. If we're in one place more than 4 or 5 days the solar panel does the job. Less than that the charge line from the tow does the job.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

Washington
It sounds like you have a nice set-up, Byron, but solar isn't something we plan on doing for now.
And... our tow doesn't charge the battery.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
put a PD 4045 in our Uhaul camper. Like it
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:35 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I put a PD 4045 in my 1986 Scamp 13. I leave it plugged in 24 - 7 at home. It works extremely well. I have added less than 1 tablespoon of water to my battery in 3 years. When camping I mostly use my 2 small 30 watt solar panels to keep my battery up. We rarely camp with 120 volt AC. When I bought my trailer it had separate 120 volt AC and 12 volt DC systems with no converter or battery charger from the Scamp factory. With the PD 4045 I could go crazy adding as many circuits as I wanted. I like single runs with their own breakers or fuses and the PD 4045 allowed me to do this. You can't beat the functionality of the unit for the price they sell it for. When I put in my panel I also bought a new battery so the jury is out on whether or not it extends battery life or not. We'll see if the battery holds up another 3 years or so. Right now I am extremely happy with the PD 4045.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
I have a 1985 16' Scamp, layout 4. The original converter is in the front left corner of the trailer, in front of the bathroom, under the front couch. It is pretty inaccessible.
I would like to put in (or have put in) a Progressive Dynamics 4045. Has anyone done this? Where have you mounted it?
Another possibility is the PD9245C. I think (not sure) this is the one that Scamp uses in the new trailers.
The PD-4045 Mini-Power center is certainly the weapon of choice for a power center/converter/smart charger for an FGRV. I have installed 6-7 in different FGRV's, including 3 of my own, all with excellent results.

Those that get by with a lot less, so be it, I opt for the more modern approach to RV'ing and will always have a quality converter/smart charger to complete the picture.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #7

Washington
Steve & Bob, thanks for your input. My problem now is where to install the PD4045. The original converter is hidden away and I want this one to be accessible. With your experience, do you have any suggestions where to put it so it is accessible but not in the way?
Thanks is advance for your expertise.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:28 AM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Oddly enough I took Bob Miller's advice and installed the PD4045 and I am well pleased.
I am still thinking about how best to tie the battery charge line from the TV and when I add a solar system.
I have considered a plug in circuit breaker/fuse in the #1 DC position to protect the line etc.
I think a 20 Amp circuit breaker or at least I have one I can plug in.
I have not yet investigated the ampacity of the wire/buss.
The other choice is to install circuit breakers for the solar and TV separately wired directly to the battery.
I also think that a main battery fuse mounted directly on the positive terminal might be a good idea.
I hope to install maybe 200 watts of solar panels (flex on the roof).
This might be over kill, but the efficiency loss with the fixed mounting will take care of that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #9

I would connect the TV charging line and (unless recommended against by the mfg.) the solar controller feed directly to the trailers battery, with a solenoid type isolator in the TV's charging line. All appropriately fused of course.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Steve & Bob, thanks for your input. My problem now is where to install the PD4045. The original converter is hidden away and I want this one to be accessible. With your experience, do you have any suggestions where to put it so it is accessible but not in the way?
Although it is, basically, under the bed, I almost never have to access my PD-4045, so I don't know that location is that critical. I usually try to place them in the existing converters location to avoid a lot of extra wiring. I would think that the front of the couch is about as access able as one could get in a Scamp 13. Besides that, the closer to the battery the better.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I replaced the original converter in my Surf-Side ( same location as yours) with a Parallax Power Supply , from Amazon.ca at a reasonable price . It has an automatic battery charger. Installation was very simple the only modification was having to enlarge the opening a wee bit . The wiring was easy and well shown in the instructions . It makes no sound other than if the weather is very hot and the fan comes on and then there is a quiet hum.
The reason that I replaced the unit was that I installed LED lights and they flickered with the old unit plus the unit had a constant hum , probably on it's last legs , not surprising after 40 years.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

What model Parallax Converter did you install?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #13

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Model 6730 D
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The original converter is hidden away and I want this one to be accessible. With your experience, do you have any suggestions where to put it so it is accessible but not in the way?
Why? Mine is hidden away and not an issue. I have only had to access it maybe 2 times in 7 years.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #15

Washington
Bob and Carol (but not Ted and Alice),
I had been thinking of accessibility because I saw one mounted that way in a video. But, thanks the input from both of you, I'll just mount it under the couch where the old one is, nice and close to the battery.

Just in case anyone is scratching their head, "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice" is a movie title from a long time ago. I didn't see it, but the title stuck in my head.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Bob and Carol (but not Ted and Alice),
I had been thinking of accessibility because I saw one mounted that way in a video. But, thanks the input from both of you, I'll just mount it under the couch where the old one is, nice and close to the battery.

Just in case anyone is scratching their head, "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice" is a movie title from a long time ago. I didn't see it, but the title stuck in my head.

I saw it Bob and you didn't miss a thing.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:17 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Like most electronics, ventilation is important. Putting your converter in a storage bin and then stuffing the bin with your extra blankets is probably not a good idea. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Like most electronics, ventilation is important. Putting your converter in a storage bin and then stuffing the bin with your extra blankets is probably not a good idea. Raz
Good point, thanks!
Bill