Power tongue jack - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-23-2003, 07:53 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Power tongue jack

Just curious.

Being basically lazy, I'm thinking about installing a power tongue jack on my trailer.

Has anybody done this? I'd be interested in your experiences.

Figure I could tap into the 12 volt supply to the break-away switch.

That way, Pam could just press a button rather than doing all that work jacking the trailer up and down while I watch the levels.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:20 AM   #2

Power Jack

Hmmm, ever on the alert for an application, it seems like the power jack should be equipped with a remote control. Why tax Pam's index finger when a remote control, operated from the bubble level, could do it all.

Besides, it's another remote control. Kind of a guy thing.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:29 AM   #3

>>remote control
:) :) :)

But Pam's not certified to use a remote control. That is my domain.

If she needs to change the channel, she can get up and change it (call it exercise!)

But getting back on topic, I'm also thinking that instead of messing with hooking the 12 volt up, I could install a topedo plug on the power jack and just run it off one of my Jump-It batteries.

Thing I don't know is if the power jack would fit as a direct replacement for the current crank jack on our lightweight trailers ... or if you'd have to grind out the hole a little.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:07 PM   #4

Power Jack

I am in the process of installing a power jack, converted from another application, and found the following things out:

the triangular base plate is generally drilled to a standard bolt pattern so they should fit, this came from the atwood site:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Choose from Four Jacks
Atwood Power Jacks lift, not merely support, the following weights:
Lightweight ................. 1,500 lbs.
Standard .................... 2,500 lbs.
Deluxe ....................... 2,500 lbs.
Heavy Duty ................ 3,500 lbs.

Four Jacks for Easy Setup
The Lightweight Power Jack is specially designed for smaller trailers with a 2" coupler.

The Standard Power Jack eliminates the need for hand cranking to position a trailer. It fits most 2 5 /16" couplers and has a lifting capacity of 2,500 lbs
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if the battery for your breakaway would handle the current from the motor, I haven't done a test on mine yet, but I suspect it to be around 15 amps
Old 04-23-2003, 06:37 PM   #5

Thanks Joe! Keep us posted on your progress. Any pix? Do you think you are going to have to drill out the old jack hole in the couple to make the power jack fit?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:14 PM   #6

No the hole in my coupler is ok, but I'm waiting for the mounting plate now, I just haven't had time to weld it on the jack yet.

Originally the jack was a horizontal mount for a slider, but physically its the same jack.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:46 PM   #7

Hi Joe , just as a matter of interest...I have a Reese jack here that i never used and when I got my little Boler , I thought to use it but from the mounting plate to the end of the jack that is pointing down is 9 inches and the top of my tongue is 15 in. from the ground which would give me a 6 in. ground clearance. Not very much. To use mine i would have to reweld the mount further down the jack or mount it on a swivel because I would want to put a wheel on it. So be aware of the ground clearance when you weld the mount onto your jack. We used to use these jacks as linear actuators to move our satellite dishes. This one was a spare and never used......Benny
Old 04-25-2003, 05:57 PM   #8

where are you getting the wheel from, Benny? I'd like one, and how would I know if it fits what I have?
Old 04-25-2003, 11:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

where are you getting the wheel from, Benny? I'd like one, and how would I know if it fits what I have?
Hi Jana, up here a store called Princess Auto. I would check in your area for a surplus store that sells surplus stuff and also new. Another way is check your yellow pages for a caster/ wheel supplier and if it`s like here if you work for a company that they deal with , you can get it wholesale for cash and then weld it onto your jack....Oh, sorry, weld a plate onto the bottom of your jack that you can then bolt your swivel caster to. Also I would get one that`s about 8 in. dia and pneumatic or semi pneumatic. It`ll roll easier and won`t skid if it runs over a pebble like a shopping cart does when it hits a cherry pit on the floor in the grocery section....ha...ha Benny
Old 04-26-2003, 12:07 AM   #10

more wheel

Hi, Also you have to have enough room under your jack fo this . If you don`t then you`ll have to relocate your jack higher. Helps if you or hubby welds or have a friend that can do that for you as a favor...Benny
Old 04-26-2003, 07:37 AM   #11

now that you've mentioned that word, pneumatic or semi pneumatic, is that the one with air you can add or is it solid? Sorry to be so tire ignorant.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:21 AM   #12

No sure I would permanantly attach a wheel to my tongue jack.

No a whole lot of clearance there, particularly when going up and down a dip.

Also, when camping, occasionally, depending on the angle of the dangle, you'd have to chock the newly-added wheel or your rig would slide back and forth

Any RV shop stocks, sells or can order tongue jack wheels (various dimensions) that slide on and off your tongue jack, as needed.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:52 AM   #13

Charles,

I installed an H&H tongue jack from $CW on Lazy M (get it?).

It was a direct replacement for the Casita crank up.

I wired it to a switch under the AC and to the battery line.

The switch is to keep kids (of all ages) from playing with the jack. Wire the break-away through the same switch.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:29 PM   #14

caster tires

Hi Jana, I believe that the semi-pneumatic are hollow inside with just air as they are made at the factory like they had on kids waggon wheels and the pneumatic are like a car tire or a wheel barrow which you can add or reduce the air pressure in if need be.............Yes Charles that can happen on a slope. If I mounted my jack on my trailer I would have to move the jack mounting flange right to the end of the jack and also modify the tongue bracket up so that the wheel would tuck up inside the tongue. The problem with is that it would stick up pretty high. That`s why I mentioned to have a swivel mount on the jack so that it swings up 90 degs....One of my sons has a manual jack with a wheel on his boat trailer and thinks that it was a Godsend for his back to jockey the trailer around his driveway.......Benny