Power usages - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
1st... I agree with Glen, don't worry and be happy. I have a voltminder just so I can tell how many more DVD's I can watch.

I just don't think it is fair to see someone bashing what work fine for the 98th percentile, just not for them.

But the tire pressure example is not the same..... That impinges on safety issues, just look into the infamous story of the Corvair & it's peculiar tire pressure requirements.

And if an underinflated tire overheats and fails on the hiway, that can put others (including Moi) at risk.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #30

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Well Bob, I apologize for that last comment. I went to their web site and there is NO information whatsoever, and dead links. You can't read what the manufacturer won't provide.

Further googling for interstate has a bunch of "just use Trojan's data".

LOL, well good luck with that.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #31

Alabama
I agree with Glen too as I clearly stated. He should throw it all away and not worry. You too!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #32

Alabama
Bob, what exactly does "working fine" mean? Replacing your battery every three years? That is working fine for two and a half years. Of course the battery should last twice that long.

You do know by the way that 24 lbs in the ford explorer tires "worked fine" for waaaaay more than 98% of the owners!

But hey, "Be happy, don't worry!"

Your "other bob" also smoked a bunch of Ganja. I had to stop that a long time ago!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #33

California
Interstate Battery Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Well Bob, I apologize for that last comment. I went to their web site and there is NO information whatsoever, and dead links. You can't read what the manufacturer won't provide.

Further googling for interstate has a bunch of "just use Trojan's data".

LOL, well good luck with that.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Interstate Battery Customer Service 866-842-5360
Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #34

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Gee Whiz John.
Calm down a bit.
Go talk to few real engineers that actually design stuff for manufacturing. You'll soon discover or NOT, that all designs are a compromise. Things are done for reasons and we don't really know the fully story unless you were in on the design review meeting. The trouble with most backyard engineers they have no idea why things were done that way, but they know better.
Then they make changes and bad things happen. You have no idea how many times I've seen this happen.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #35

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. I just used the light switch.
When my batteries goes bad, I just go buy new ones.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #36

Alabama
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Gee Whiz John.
Calm down a bit.
Go talk to few real engineers that actually design stuff for manufacturing.
Byron, I design software for a living, I know all about compromises.

I also know that a few small easy changes can add up to to real solid improvements. I know that I always analyze the bottlenecks to find out where I can make the most improvements with the least work.

I know that there are a handful of companies designing after market chargers and inverters because there is a market for systems that actually work.

Which implies something don't ya think?

If the PD in my scamp did it's job correctly (notice I didn't say "good enough for you") would I be having this conversation with you?

"Is good enough for 98% of the population" is:
1) Meaningless
2) Useless
3) Not something I would use to bolster my arguments.

98% of the population doesn't know that they are replacing their batteries more often than they should have to. It wears out and they go replace it. They grumble that three years isn't a long time but...

I actually looked at the interstate site where it MENTIONED that the average battery lasted 3 years... It has ZERO information other than sales junk.

Byron, I have an education which allows me to, and I have read enough to understand the issues involved.

I do not expect anyone with an attitude of "don't worry" to participate. Get rid of your meters! I encourage that!

And for the record, I am living in my scamp, in a state park. I am enjoying my scamp.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #37

Alabama
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. I just used the light switch.
When my batteries goes bad, I just go buy new ones.
ROTFL. Yep, you do. So do the other 98% of the population!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #38

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Byron, I design software for a living, I know all about compromises.

I also know that a few small easy changes can add up to to real solid improvements. I know that I always analyze the bottlenecks to find out where I can make the most improvements with the least work.

I know that there are a handful of companies designing after market chargers and inverters because there is a market for systems that actually work.

Which implies something don't ya think?

If the PD in my scamp did it's job correctly (notice I didn't say "good enough for you") would I be having this conversation with you?

"Is good enough for 98% of the population" is:
1) Meaningless
2) Useless
3) Not something I would use to bolster my arguments.

98% of the population doesn't know that they are replacing their batteries more often than they should have to. It wears out and they go replace it. They grumble that three years isn't a long time but...

I actually looked at the interstate site where it MENTIONED that the average battery lasted 3 years... It has ZERO information other than sales junk.

Byron, I have an education which allows me to, and I have read enough to understand the issues involved.

I do not expect anyone with an attitude of "don't worry" to participate. Get rid of your meters! I encourage that!

And for the record, I am living in my scamp, in a state park. I am enjoying my scamp.

From your posts it doesn't sound like it.
Let ask one more question then I'm through with this thread.

How many variables are involved in charging and using a battery?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #39

California
One day, many, many years ago, I was graduating from Navy Boot camp in San Diego. Of course my parents came to watch and, as my 80 man company marched past the reviewing stand a parent standing next to mine said "Look at that, our Johnny is the only one in step with the music".

I guess the masses hereabout must all also be out of step, including moi.....
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #40

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
BTW. My observation that having all these measuring instruments is causing me stress; I reached that conclusion before this thread even started.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
From your posts it doesn't sound like it.
Let ask one more question then I'm through with this thread.

How many variables are involved in charging and using a battery?
Byron, that was really just a smart*&& question. You seem to spend all of your energy trying to convince everyone that you are smarter than everyone else and if anyone disagrees with you you start in with your education and experience and then belittle their opinion. In my opinion retirement isn't working well for you. Posters like you are why I don't spend much time on this forum.

Steve
Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #42

Alabama
Bob, the masses aren't out of step, nor are they in step. Milling around smartly as we said in the navy. Blissfully unaware would be closer to the truth. For whatever reason you come to this thread for the sole purpose of defending the status quo. It is easily demonstrated that the PD charger is less than effective. I just read their specs and they guarantee to provide a 'nominal voltage of 13.6v'. Look up the definition of nominal.

In the meantime the battery manufacturer says you need 14.8 v to correctly charge their battery.

But this 'guarantee' is in fact good enough for 98% of the people.

I'm sorry, that is just sad!

I understand why a certain political party has such disdain for the masses!