Old 08-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #155

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
I'm sorry Norm, after rereading my post I realize I wasn't too clear about the dryer vent. My intent was to use it underneath the trailer, on the vent holes there. I am not sure how wet the underside of the floor gets while towing - it might not be needed at all. I am in the same camp as you about cutting the fiberglass - don't want to do it at all if I don't have to.
The Dryer vents I used on my install can be closed tight for traveling. I unscrew them when making camp. The roof vent has never leaked, even when it was buried under four feet of snow. However, if water does find its way down the exhaust pipe it would merely leak into the air conditioner, then into the (water/air sump) and out the bottom air intake vent. This was done by molding the "sump" liner into the uncured spray foam and creating a channel for the water to pour out the bottom vent. I tested it by pouring water into the exhaust pipe (on the roof) to be sure; yep it comes right out the bottom of the camper. Granted it has a few bumps on the way down.

BTW: I love this thread. The mods within are most impressive. Keep them coming.

Thanks,
Markz

Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #156

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Just checked out your thread on the a/c install Markz - very nice job indeed. And I agree about this thread, I've had it bookmarked for ages now, well before I joined the site - it's like Norm never sleeps!!!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #157

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
this is what is under the Egg Camper for a/c ventilation with screen behind
SEA DOG Vent at West Marine
Thanks Jim

I bought two delivered to a local store. No shipping charge or taxes.

Norm
Old 08-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #158

New Hampshire
Sleep

John M,

I actually sleep a lot more than I did when I worked, typically 7 hours.

I'm working hard because I have to get it ready for 9 months of travel. There's not much I can do once we leave NH.

Norm
Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #159

New Hampshire
Wet Trailer Bottom

John M,

I painted the bottom of my trailer white, planning some day to paint it with white Herculiner, Truck Bed paint.

I painted it before PEI and we drove thru some mud but found very little on the bottom of the trailer. Before I install the bottom hole covers I will have painted the inside of the cutouts and then covered the edges with aluminum tape, overlapping the edges. (I have already gone around and painted all thru holes and filled the holes with forever putty.)

I think most floors rot from the top where water can puddle, not the bottom. However in taking a trailer apart I noticed that some of the thru holes were softened.

It's amazing how much heat the air conditioner pumps out. I still haven't figured out the baffle between the hot and cool side. A taped on piece of cardboard is doing it for now.

Norm
Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #160

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

It's amazing how much heat the air conditioner pumps out. I still haven't figured out the baffle between the hot and cool side. A taped on piece of cardboard is doing it for now.

Norm
I was amazed as well, the exhaust pipe got hot enough to counteract the cold air being produced. Insulating the exhaust pipe cured that issue.

Markz
Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #161

New Hampshire
Air Conditioner Installation - Done

I've completed the installation of our air conditioner. I had originally planned to buy a 5000 btu with a flat face but stuck with the older sloped face, frightened by the economy I guess.

Though old it's working well and cools the trailer down while drawing less than 5 amps. I ran it for eight hours as a test of the moisture drain system and the hot air exhaust.

There are two muffin fans, as shown earlier, that exhaust the hot air thru the floor. I really like not cutting thru the exterior fiberglass walls of the trailer. The most recent exhaust temperatures have been in the 107F range.

The water also drains thru the floor. The AC unit is elevated about a 1/2 inch in the front to encourage water to move to the rear of the bottom of the AC unit; to it's natural drain hole.

I have not finished the underside of the floor yet, waiting for two screened vent covers to come into our local West Marine.

The door above the AC unit was moved up about 4 inches and the front of the hanging closet cut to provide full door access.
Attached Thumbnails
ac6.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #162

California
I've been hoping for an update on this mod. Great to hear it works Norm, I plan to do the same... Actually, I will be "borrowing" lots of your ideas...

Thanks, John
Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #163

New Hampshire
Little things

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
I've been hoping for an update on this mod. Great to hear it works Norm, I plan to do the same... Actually, I will be "borrowing" lots of your ideas...

Thanks, John
There are a number of little things I did that I did not show. To the right of the air conditioner there is a switch that turns on the 12 volt fans that suck the exhaust out.

There is an H shaped wooden structure that is screwed to each side of the cabinet to keep the air conditioner in place.

To drain the water I used 3m 5200 to put a small piece of plastic hose in the Air COnditioner's drain hole. The hose is 1/2 dia. and about 3" long and drips into a 3x3x1" plastic container. I cut a hole in the bottom of the container and put another piece of plastic hose in the hole, again cementing it in with 3m 5200. The water from the air conditioner drips into the container and flows through the bottom of the trailer. This class of connection makes it easy to take out the air conditioner. To help draining the AC is tipped towards the rear.

The only unknown is how will it do on a really hot day. All of a sudden fall seems to be upon us here in southern NH. I expecting a early winter. It seems a real capacity test (how cold can you go?) will have to wait until we reach the South this fall unless we get some Indian Summer.

I have an electrical outlet under the sink next to the hanging closet. The purpose of this outlet is to supply the hot water heater and the AC, as well it is a very short run to the breaker box. Both draw little power and are rarely on at the same time. I used a hole saw to cut thru the side of the hanging closet to run the cord.

When you get ready I can give you more pictures of some of these details.

Norm
Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #164

California
Thanks Norm!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #165

New Hampshire
Pet Peeve -Silverware Drawer

Something that's bothered me since day one is the silverware drawer, located under the stove. At least in the 1991 Scamp 16s this draw slides on two aluminum "U" channels in pieces of wood screwed to the bottom of the stove. It's a kludge and worse it simply doesn't slide well. A very poor solution for the trailer's heaviest drawer.

Today I replaced this with a more traditional American solution, the easiest one I could think of that would provide smooth rolling motion.

It consists of a center rolling track and rolling wheels at each edge of the drawer. If anyone wants details or pictures I'll post them.

Norm
Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #166

New Hampshire
LED Installation

I bought 6 LED bulbs based on the thread 'Cheap Leds' in this forum. With shipping they were about four dollars a piece.

At least in my case, the sockets had to be tweaked a little to make good contact. It seems the diameter of the LED's sockets are a little less than my former bulbs.

As to light output they seem to be equal to the bulbs they replaced. Over our dinette we have two fixtures. On one side I initially left an incandescent and on the other I installed a LED. Last night I went out and turned both on and could not detect any difference with my eyes in the intensity of light output.

There is a decided difference in color. Incandescant lights produce a yellow light while the LED's produce a white light. Personally I like the whiter light because it creates a higher contrast on the printed page.

Norm
Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #167

New Hampshire
LED Current

I went out and measured the current draw of one of our 64 LED bulbs. It was about 0.23 amps.

This compares to about 2.0 amps for the typical incandesant bulb.

This equates to about 1/8th the current to run an LED.

Norm
Old 08-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #168

Name: jim
Trailer: First edition 2014 21' Escape BlackJack pulled by Dodge Ram Hemi or FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, you can turn on every LED light (8) and it will be the equivalent of one single incandescent light. Personally, I like the warmer yellow spectrum, the blue light gives me a headache.

Tags
scamp