Old 11-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #211

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
More Careful Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Norm,
Perhaps the trailer sensors are cooling at a faster rate? Do the numbers change much when you stop? Are the starting temps comparable? Those things might give an indication. It's also completely believable that differences will occur .
I did a more careful test and went around and adjusted the tire pressure with a digital gauge, not that they are absolutely accurate but they should be relatively accurate, the same from tire to tire.

When I start up the car all tire temperatures read the same. After a little driving the Honda's rear tires are 5 degrees warmer than the trailer tires. When we stop the temperatures equalize.

Today the Honda tires were at 44 psi and the trailers at 51 psi.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #212

Florida
Results

Some thoughts on modifications:

Solar Panels.
We shut off our converter and use the Solar Panels to keep the battery charged. We run about 5 LEDs and one incandescent for about 5 hours a night. We run the fridge's 12 volt muffin fans all day and night.

The solar panel keeps the batteries fully charged and are in the charging mode about 11 hours a day.

Closet AC.
We used our 5000 btu AC unit yesterday for the first time and it works well, quickly knocking down the humidity.

Fridge Fan
Our fridge is under the kitchen counter. The fridge is usually pretty full. Without the fan running the top of the counter gets hot. With it on the counter stays cool. Fridge temps in Florida seem to range between 35 and 42, related to time of day or opening of the door or reloading of the fridge.

Thermometers.
We have three thermometers in the trailer. One in the AC's exhaust box, one in the fridge on the door and one in the trailer.

Red Max 3.
Every one who see's our trailer thinks it's brand new. Actually we have a few small spots where the Red Max 3 has come off, a couple of spots on the rock shield and a couple on the roof. I'm not sure if these were places I did not clean wax off well enough. I will say the trailer glows.

Daily Bed.
This is our first year of making the bed up every day. We do the bed together. I put the table down and rearrange the cushions. Ginny gts out the mattres topper and the pillows. It takes about 5 minutes.

Mattress top storage.
We store our 1.5" thick mattress topper under the bottom and back of the front couch. It's invisible to visitors and comes out in seconds. It is cut into two nearly square pieces.

Handy solutions.
Probably the most handy solutions are the addition of a number of in-place small white baskets with specific items in them, like one with bandaids and antiseptic cream, another clippers and tweasers, and so on...

Another highly used item is our simple rear bumper clothes line used every day to dry towels and swim suits.

Hamper
This is our first trailer with a hamper compartment located above our Air Conditioner. We keep a laundry bag in there that dirty clothes go into. It easily holds a weeks worth of clothing.

Future mods.
Before we enter the Neveda Mountains in September I hope to add a second battery and possibly complete the transmission cooler heater off the hot water tank.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #213

Florida
Additional Storage - underneath boxes

I have now mounted 3 boxes to the underneath of the floor of the trailer. These boxes are located between the frame and the fiberglass side of the trailer.

Each box is 14x11x3". One box contains a 10' hose, filter and miscellaneous plumbing items. Another box holds caulking compound, white caps, and other miscellaneous repair items. The third box contains a 50' 14/3 construction extension cord and other electrical items. This is all stuff I rarely use but do carry. It is now out of the way.

It is my plan to add two large boxes on slides behind the gray tank and under the trailer when I reach Seattle.

The smaller box's covers are simply screwed to the bottom of the floor and their handles lock on to the covers. As insurance each box also has a security bungee cord. I may enhance this before we leave NM.

A picture of one of the $3.50 boxes from Dollar General follows.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage Box.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #214

Florida
Underneath Boxes

We've added 3 small storage boxes to the bottom of our Scamp and have now driven some 400 miles with them. I want to report there have been no issues.

Before we left Benson, NM I added a large brass cup hook to each handle of two of the box to stiffen the holding power. You simply rotate the hooks a 1/4 turn, release the handles on each end and the bottom of the box comes off. I have kept the bungee cords as a back up to the hooks.

The second picture shows two boxes on one side. The closet box contains a hose 'y' for connecting two hoses, a water filter and a spare 10' hose. Things I rarely use but sometimes need.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage Box Hook 2.jpg   Storage Box Hook 1.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #215

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I was hoping to hear that they were working out well, this is a great way to store some of the stuff you need only once in a while.

Thanks Norm and Ginny!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #216

Florida
Water Test

John,

I've wondered if they will get water in them though they stuff I've stored is not water sensitive. I guess I'll see what happens as we near Seattle.

They may be relatively watertight because the lids overlap the boxes.
We have had very high winds and sand does not seem to have entered the boxes.

My next plan is to get a couple of larger boxes for the center section behind the gray tank. I plan to mount those on slides so they can drop down and slide under the bumper box.

To this point I have not figured what I'd store in the two larger boxes If the boxes are water tight I might store some of the clothing that is regional, like our heavier sweaters I suppose as a second level of protection I could enclose them in a plastic bag inside the box.

Another option is to store the fluids (distilled water, paint, oil, ...) I now carry in the back of the Honda in one of these boxes.

The larger boxes also have an advantage over the smaller boxes in that they are not located directly behind the wheel wells and less in the line of wheel well splash.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #217

Florida
Bigger Storage Boxes

I've added the first of two storage boxes in the center section behind our trailers gray tank.

The storage box is suspended from ball bearing slides. Releasing the front of the box causes it to pivot down and extend 20 inches out towards the side of the trailer for access.

Each box is 18x12x7 inches.

Picture 1 shows the box in place.

Picture 2 shows it extended on it's slides.
Attached Thumbnails
Big STor Box1.jpg   Big Stor Box2.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #218

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Very clever Norm.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #219

Florida
Thanks for the kind words. The concept of using the underneath for storage came from someone selling their Scamp. I've extended it a little by adding slides.

When I'm finished I'll have 5 boxes in the rear, 3 small and 2 large. I also plan to add 2 large boxes to the front.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #220

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Norm in post 213 you have a small box mounted under what on my trailer would be my fresh water tank. Is yours not located on the passenger side under the rear bench as well? if it is how did you screw them into the floor without worrying about going into the tank above???
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #221

Florida
Water Tank Side Boxes.

Carol,

I actually have 2 small boxes on that side. I simply screw the box covers to the floor with 1/2 inch, broad head screws (called modified truss screws #8 x 1/2" available from Lowes). The screws do not go thru the floor.

I believe I put 6 screws in each cover. The screws are about an 1 1/2 " in from the edges of the cover. I did not drill pilot holes, simply screwed thru the plastic into the wood. I'll post a picture in the morning.

Also I'm not storing lead blocks in them. The one on the non water tank side is the heaviest with a 50' extension cord and some other electrical parts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #222

Florida
Cover Screws

Carol,

These are the screws that hold the cover to the bottom of the trailer. I do not put the screws to the edges because it makes it easier to open and close the handles.

This is the heaviest box, the one with the 50' construction extension cord. After 400 tow miles there has been no apparant loosening of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Cover screws.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #223

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Norm, was thinking of just doing one small one to hold all my electrical adapters.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #224

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
The sliders make them even more useful because of the easier access, nice!

Tags
scamp