Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16 - Page 36 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #701

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jim,

I certainly am an additive kind of guy, with no intentions to tear too much apart. My biggest removals may be to remove the Propane heater which we rarely use and turn it into storage space. Next I'll probably remove the Air Conditioner, (we haven't turned it on once in Newfoundland this year and hardly ever any where else.)

By the way snow is expected here for tonight. Today we took a long hike into the Table lands, unique in that it was once part of the earth's mantle. The rocks are typically an oxidized tan, when cracked they reveal a greenish serpentine pattern much like snake skin. The chemical nature of the rocks does not allow hardly anything green to grow.

Much of the Table lands has significant snow cover left from winter storms. Made for numerous rushing steams and waterfalls. Newfoundland has very interesting geology. Of course this time of the year not many people are about.

While dealing with the AC and heater I plan to reset our fridge and seal it off from the outside venting structure. Following that I hope to insulate the bottom side of the floor.

When we leave here in about 2 months we'll be in NH for a month visiting friends and relatives and this should provide some fixit time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:24 AM   #702

Florida
A Question

It has been particularly cold in Newfoundland this year. PArt of the upgrades is to make it more weather tight. One goal is to deal with the airleaks, another is to add insulation value where easy.

In former trailers I have used the blue sheet foam to protect the gray tank and in our motorhome the gas tank when planning long trips on dirt roads, like Alaska and the Labrador road. THough the foam took some stone hits neither tank was damaged,

Now I'm considering covering the bottom of the floor with 1 inch blue foam as a temperature insulation barrier. The entire outside surface of my floor is painted white as is much of the inside surface as I can reach.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-23-2018, 12:05 AM   #703

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Norm, we always had cold floors in Colorado last year (morning temps 34 degrees), so this year we placed the interlocking foam floor pads from Home Depot (simulated wood grain on one side and simulated stone on the other side) on the floor and what a nice change it is. Not only do we no longer have to wear slippers or heavy socks so our feet will stay warm, but we gained the unexpected added luxury of cushioning while kneeling on the floor to get things out of the lower cupboards. It doesn’t look as nice as the vinyl flooring that it rests on, but I can live with it, and the nice thing is, it can easily be removed, as it is not stuck down.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:54 AM   #704

Florida
Thanks Dave. My problem with 'raising the floor' is my height. I just clear the ceiling. Any new comments on your DC fridge? Which one did you buy?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #705

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
You called it, a foot fell

Norm,

Did you paint "Help" in large letters on the top of your Scamp so they can find you after the snow fall last night? Hope you have a snow shovel or you will be there until Spring!

Photos and report here:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ne...now-day/102225

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #706

Florida
Jim, they may skip spring this year. We always carried a small Sholes in the motorhome but gave it up when we downsized. It's snowed just a little here but nothing significant so far. We head about 200 miles north on Monday, heading to St. Anthony on the norther tip of the western Peninsula for the iceberg festival. Our son Norman has posted a lot on Facebook under his name and mine.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #707

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Thanks Dave. My problem with 'raising the floor' is my height. I just clear the ceiling. Any new comments on your DC fridge? Which one did you buy?
Norm, we ordered our LS with the Truckfridge (now 4years old) because it had an interior light, whereas our NovaCool that we had in our Scamp did not, but as it turned out it is very dim. I added a LED light strip to supplement it. No regrets.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:13 AM   #708

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Norm, we ordered our LS with the Truckfridge (now 4years old) because it had an interior light, whereas our NovaCool that we had in our Scamp did not, but as it turned out it is very dim. I added a LED light strip to supplement it. No regrets.
Thanks, I've been to the TruckFridge site. WHich one did you order?

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-25-2018, 04:18 AM   #709

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Norm,

Did you paint "Help" in large letters on the top of your Scamp so they can find you after the snow fall last night? Hope you have a snow shovel or you will be there until Spring!

Photos and report here:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ne...now-day/102225

Jim
Jim, We've experienced that 'Plop" cartoon like snow where you go from none to 14 inches in what seems like an instant. We are prepared for it, more so than normal. I usually only bring Keens with me, open shoes, however this year I bought Newfoundland style rubber boots and wool socks. Thinking of buying some vamps, Newfoundland boot liners.

There are 3 more rigs here, one a member of FRV, all just loving Newfoundland.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #710

Florida
Solar Panel

A number of people have searched this thread for our solar panel installation. It is not here but in the following thread.

Since I posted into about our taped down solar panels I have received a number of PM questions. People searched and could not find the info. I looked and using advanced search did find the thread.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...l-48167-2.html

In that thread there is a link to the thru hole fitting I used. Here is an updated link.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...l-48167-2.html

This device has worked without failure. There is information how I used it in the thread.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #711

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Norm - Just finished "skimming through your thread. Wow. I like the thought process you show in utilizing all the spaces and giving everything a spot. We had a Scamp with the side dinette for several years and I completely understand the need to define your storage. When we first purchased our Scamp we were amazed how the POs had installed 98 hooks, mostly old plastic hooks with out the removable command strip. After camping in it a few time we removed about 90 of them. After a two week trip a few years back the wife was complaining that there just wasn't enough storage. So I took the opportunity to fulfill a dream and bought an old 26' Argosy Airstream to renovate. After taking possession the the Argosy and beginning the renovation I decided to completely unpack the Scamp so I could take to hunting camp in the fall. To my amazement there was enough bedding and towels for 6 people to winter camp in Alaska. Seems the wife just assumed we needed an extra towel or an extra blanket each trip and pretty soon it was a traveling Bed Bath and Beyond.

Sold the Scamp in 2019 and since the Argosy was "almost done" and took a gutted Boler B1700 as partial trade to be my "Hunting Camp". Well the Argosy project and Boler have competed for my time and money over the last year. I am still building the big spaces in the Boler with your philosophy of a place for everything so I spend about as much time thinking and planning as working.

Again, I enjoyed your thread as it helps me in my thought process as I continue to work on mine. Here is a link to my build thread if your looking for a few minutes of amusement.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ler-90615.html
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp