Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16 - Page 14 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #261

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

We went for an oil change in the Seattle area before heading south to the Oregon rally. I told the manager not to change my tire pressures because our 2004 Honda CRV is set up for towing.

On the morning we left for Oregon I turned on our Tire Pressure monitoring system, an after market unit. We use this to monitor the Honda's rear tires and the trailer tires. We had driven a few hundred yards and the Tire Pressure Monitoring system's low pressure alarm went off.

The tire pressure had been set to the standard 30 pounds all around. Fortunately we carry a small compressor and were able to resolve what could have been a problem.

For the record we keep our Honda's rear tires at 39 pounds and our front tires around 35 pounds. As well we keep the trailer's tires at 50 lbs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #262

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1996 Scamp 16
South Dakota
Tire pressure

When we picked up our Scamp last week I had the tires replaced at Fleet Farm in Minnesota. I asked them what the recommended pressure was and they said 50 lbs, which is what is marked on the tire. After they balanced them I asked if the had loaded them to 50 lbs and they said yes. I checked the pressure 15 minutes later and all three tires were at 25 lbs.

One time I had an oil change where I got an inspection sheet showing all tires at 34 lbs (hand written in by the technician), only to check them and find out they were 27, 28, 30 and 32. I guess you always have to check yourself.

Joe
HighPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #263

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Having a good tire gauge is essential equipment, towing or not. The amount of fuel that gets wasted due to impoper inflation is amazing. Not to mention tire wear and reduced safety.

Well at least they tightened the lug nuts, had a tire shop neglect that step one time, watched my hub cap and lug nuts pass me as I slowed down because something felt funny.

BTW - Hiya Norm and Ginny have not seen you posting of late, sort of wondered what you were up to. Should have guessed camper mods and travel.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #264

Florida
Posting

RogerDat

We are traveling, month 8, and presently at the Oregon Rally. The rally is great and we're having an absolutely marvelous time. Some times I need to pinch myself to realize how fortunate I am to be in year 11 of our travels and to be able to spend every day with Ginny.

An older friend once told me that as people age, they tend to focus on the things they like best. For some this might be fishing or quilting or ..., and to leave aside those things that do not provide pleasure. For sometime posting was not providing pleasure so I've pretty much given it up except for the Preparing ..... thread.

As my dad said, Life is a series of choices...

Most of the time I will be posting on 'Preparing a 1991 Scamp' to complete our Scamp Experience. I have created a list of 20-30 additional modifications I plan to begin when we return home in October and will document them as I do them.

As well I have suggested an addition to the Scamp model line, a Scamp Premium, focusing on the needs of 'couple travelers'. I believe their are still significant opportunities within the standard Scamp shell.

Occasionally I respond via PM when I read of a need.

Enjoying our time on the road hopefully without end. Safe travels to you and all others.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #265

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Some of the most enjoyable times I have had on vacations is getting to hang out with my wife while driving. Without the distractions of being at home or "doing" stuff.

I think with the boomers moving into retirement there probably is a growing couples market. Side dinette was a move in that direction. I just hope that they keep the scamp simple and functional. I don't see myself wanting to own an rv with electric fireplace heater and three expando units. Don't want to fuss with all that, or maintain and repair.

Imagine a lot of folks don't want to spend $30k out of retirement funds on an RV, and drive a large TV, they just want to be able to travel and enjoy for as many years as they can enjoy doing it.

Maybe you should offer to be a paid consultant? Then give them a good price on testing prototypes for a couple of months at a time, they pay the fuel of course

+ one on the be safe, remember keep the TV shiny side up, dirty side down.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #266

Florida
Scamp Upgrade

Roger,

As I age in basically the same sized Scamp 16 package, I'd like a walk around wider bed, 2 small easy chairs and a Loveseat, a bigger bathroom with a wet shower, a dinette for 2 expandable to 4, a window upgrade and better storage.

I want it to weigh less than 2500 pounds loaded and to be towable by a Honda CRV or similar vehicle.

I think it's doable and someone will at some point.

I'm not looking for anything from Scamp other than a product that meets my needs better than the existing products.

It may be hard to believe by there's room for a leap in trailer layouts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #267

Florida
Awning, Light weight and inexpensive, $40 or so

Just before the Oregon Rally we camped at my Seattle son's house and a couple of days before I left for the rally we decided to try making an awning which he used at the rally.

We made a stop at Seattle Fabric. This is one of those stores that everyone would love (as well they have an online site). The store has more fabrics of many different types, mostly designed for out door application. As well they have every kind of buckle and connecting device as well of various cordages. It's a place you will want to explore.

We ended up buying some ripstop material in teal, picking from about 10 colors. The material weighs less than 2 ozs per square yard, very light and folds to a remarkably small bundle. The material 5x18 feet cost us $30. We also bought some matching thread and seam sealant...they really have it all.

For his Scamp 13 we sewed it into a piece about 10 x 10 feet. On two of the sides we sewed a loop, a roof loop and a front loop.

We purchased some PVC Pipe from Lowes along with 4 of those 3M removeable hooks, the kind that use adhesive strips. A nice feature of this roof mounting method is that it does not require drilling any holes in the trailer surface and the hooks can easily be removed.

We mounted the four hooks on the flat portion of the roof.

We than took a piece of the 1/2" PVC pipe and ran it thru the roof loop, We drop this over the four hooks. The front loop contains a 3/4" PVC pipe.

Each end of the front loop has a right angle corner on it. These are used for two front poles. We used two more pieces of PVC for the front poles. Two ropes per front pole are used to tension the awning.

It was simple, low cost and turned out to be water proof.

There are a couple of easy improvements to be made. The two front poles should be more traditional adjustable tent poles. A center adjustable rafter pole that feeds thru a center loop is needed to insure water flows off to the sides.

I intend to make one for our Scamp 16 when we get home using tent poles and will post detailed pictures.

Each of the poles breaks in half and all the poles fit in a fence post that supports his rear bumper box.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #268

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We like to have a night time place for items like glasses, phones, .... We have always used these white plastic baskets, 3 for $1.17 at Walmart. In this case they are held on by tywraps.
The storage baskets and the way you attached them would also work in our Boler. Think I may add some before we leave (in 3 weeks). Brillant idea...we're always fishing around for our glasses and little maglights.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #269

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Something that's bothered me since day one is the silverware drawerreplaced this with a more traditional American solutionIf anyone wants details or pictures I'll post them. Norm
Would it be possible to post (re-post or add a link) of the drawer. Mine sounds like a cat with it's tail caught in a drawer...it's so awful we try to avoid opening it!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #270

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
I received a 100 or so BB sized magnets as a gift recently. They have turned out to be useful to solve one of those nagging small problems....latest solution is to take my little magnets and put them into the hem of the curtain. This allows her to stick the curtains to the window's steel screws every 3 inches or so...
Kudos to Ginny, I was going to install the PVC covered stretch wire 'eyes' into the corners of my windowframes and tuck the curtains in at night. Ginny's solution would avoid having to make holes--regardless how small--in the trailer. Added magnets to my shopping list.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #271

Florida
Buckyball magnets

Bonnie and Claude,

Unfortunately I believe the government outlawed them or at least were discussing it, next will be pennies, dimes and screws.

Ginny loves the little magnets. As we drive they seem to walk together in the hem and have their way with each other. I suggested a hem stich to keep them apart but her imagination prefers their motion.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #272

Florida
Little Baskets

We have probably 20 of these little baskets through out the trailer. They come in 3 sizes. In the cabinet over the sink we use them as organizers.

For example we have four ceramic coffee cups in one of the larger ones. We have plastic glasses in a smaller one.

We have one on the back of a cabinet door to hold ponges and the like.

We have one on a fold out drawer in front of the sink for toothbrushes.

We have four on the bathroom door frame.

We have two attached to the cabinet supports.

We have twoover the head of the bed in a little shelf.

In a couple of places at the back of the seat cabinets we have a couple screwed to the floor for things we need but rarely use...for example, one contains mys soldering iron and solder.

In our utensil drawer we use them as organizers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #273

Florida
Scamp Utensil drawer

Bonnie and Claude

The standard scamp drawer slides (?) on two aluminum extrusions, a terrible solution.

As I recall the extrusions are attached to the bottom of the stove. I removed these extrusions. Removal requires, on my rig, lifting the top of the stove and removing 4 screws.

From memory I believe I had to also remove a couple of pieces of wood that slide in the aluminum.

I then added a center single roller drawer slide to the bottom of the drawer available at the big box stores. It screws into the front of the cabinet (see picture) and attaches to a post I added at the back.

Two guide rollers are added to each corner of the front of the cabinet.

The rear of the drawer gets a center roller.

I recall I had to open the front hole in the cabinet a little because the drawer needs to be tilted to fit in the roller track. (The ragged top edge of the opening is actually a piece of white duct tape that gas ripped a little with use. I do have some fiberglass edging material that I should add.)

Hope this helps. If you need more info or pictures let me know.

Note more of the white containers.
Attached Thumbnails
UtenDraw1.jpg   Utendraw2.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #274

Ontario
Registry
Thank you, Norm. I wondered if it was the "earth magnetics" guess so. Will take our drawer apart as soon as we haul the Boler home (ETA 2 October). Really apprecaite your posts. Read all 20 pages and collected a whole slew of notes to add to my To-Do and Wish Lists. Should stop reading on this site as I'll never live long enough to do it all and sometimes it's hard to prioritize.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #275

Florida
Priority

Bonnie and Claude,

My approach to the ToDo list is to just do something because one never finishes these lists. I have made a list for myself when I get home in a week or so and I recall it has 40 new things to do or redo. I think it, probably happily, never ends.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #276

Ontario
Registry
On some website or another (may have been Fly Lady) they mention becoming a "little bitter" by doing a little bit each day. Guess the same holds true for all wishes, eh? Thanks again for all the great information in your posts!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #277

Florida
2012 Modifications

Modifications and improvements.

Honda
Inside Air Filters
Engine Air Filters
Brake Job
Shorten Ball Mount (Possible to move ball 2” closer to Honda's Bumper)
Re-org car storage
Add Gun Safe (Now carrying a pistol)
New Ball Mount (Scamp replaced coupler, different height requirements)
Volcano Grill Storage Location
Paint bottom of Honda (Habit, anything that rusts gets black paint)

Tongue
Shorten Break-away cable. (New Ball Coupler issue)
Re-route Trailer/Tow Vehicle Cable (New Ball Coupler issue)
Fiberglass Propane Tank
Replace Battery with Trojan Battery. (more boondocking capacity)
Add 2nd Battery Box for small Propane bottle storage.

Trailer Front
Shelve new hanging closet. (Hanging closet is wasted space, shelves more effective)
Add storage containers to rear under couch. Curved nature of front means room for small containers)
Improve Sat Receiver Mounting Bracket

Dinette
Refinish Folding Dinette Table Top. (Reconfigured table during trip, now has supporting sliders)
Add under dinette rear storage containers. (Room behind slide out drawers for rarely used storage)

Misc.
New Cabinet Doors. Replaced 21 year old cushions, ditto for doors)
Screen Door
Trailer shock absorbers
Reduce clothing. (Brought stuff never used)
Reduce number of plates
Re-org Utensils
Re-do door weather stripping
Larger Water Tank. Better Boondocking, matching up with grey tank.

Bathroom
Toilet water line shutoff
Up grade Bathroom Storage.

Outside Mods
Second Post under Bumper Box for Awning
Build lightweight, no holes awning
Increase size of underneath storage boxes
Replace Escape Hatch Vent
Paint Trailer Bottom
Roof Mount Wi-fi Antenna Metal Plate.
Improve AC Cool Air Duct

Electrical
Additional 12 Volt Outlets
Motion Detector Outside Light
Safer Inverter Connection
Shorter Tripod for Dish
Manual Dish Upgrade
Distribute Small Inverter Output

To Buy
2 Self Inflating Mattresses
Trojan Battery
4th Aluminum Chair
New Cell Phones
Fiberglass Propane Tanks
Vent Cover
Holster

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #278

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I want a write up on the shocks Norm! (or did I miss it in this enormous thread and I now look like a dork?!!)
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #279

Florida
Shocks

When I get that far I'll post it. In the mean time, the Casita forum has some people of have done it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #280

Florida
Pots and Pan Storage

Last year I built 2 shelves under our sink; one for 3 pots and the other for 3 frying pans. I decided to break the frying pan volume into 3 shelves, one for each frying pan.

Though not beautiful it worked very well last year except Ginny had to seperate the frying pans by a paper towel.

The shelf structure is held in by two screws that hold the front legs to the closet floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Pots and Pans1.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
scamp