ProCom Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
ProCom Heater

Has anyone used a Pro Com blue flame heater for their camper? I am looking at a 10,000 BTU model MNSD100TBA for my 16 foot Scamp. We boondock and a heater would be nice to extend our camping season.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I do not like heaters with a flame. I don't like the smell and the suit they may leave behind.

I prefer the Mr. Heater 18000-BTU Compact Radiant Heater. it has adjustable heat settings, low oxygen shutoff and has a fan in it that will run off of batteries inside it or a transformer that plugs into AC. More than likely would not need the fan in a small camper. It has space for 2 LP tanks inside it and you can get fuel lines to connect to larger LP tanks. They sell for around $100 at both Tractor Supply and Northern Tools when on sale.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Here's what I see on this site:
10,000 BTU Heats Up To 300 Sq. Ft
Clearances to combustible items: above: 36" Side: 10-1/2" Below: 2"
Ventilation Required: Vent-Free
Maximum Altitude: 4,500 feet
Works with standard propane pressures between 11" and 14" WC
100lb or larger propane tank is required on propane model
Use with adequate air (ventilation) only. Humidifies while it heats.
Provides water vapor in the area heated.
Vent-free gas products are prohibited for use in bathrooms, bedrooms or recreational vehicles installation in Massachusetts.
This item cannot be shipped to California, Check local codes and ordinances for permitted uses.

Seems like this is meant mainly for residential use. A Scamp 16 is only 65 sf. Comparing cubic feet, 300 sf translates to 2400 cf. A Scamp is less than 400 cf. It will also add a lot of water vapor to the air and contribute to condensation issues.

The heater of choice for boon docking in small trailers seems to be a catalytic unit, such as the Olympic Wave 3.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The heater of choice for boon docking in small trailers seems to be a catalytic unit, such as the Olympic Wave 3.
It's my choice to be sure, but be sure and read the manual. Installing it in a small egg camper with the required clearances can be a challenge. If wall mounted and left uncovered then the life of the catalytic element may be shortened by contaminates (dirt). It requires fresh air and can produce unwanted combustion by-products if there is not sufficient oxygen (but there is a O2 depletion shutoff also). And some people do not like that type of heat and prefer something more like the forced hot air they have at home.

On the plus side, its super efficient and requires no electrical power (not even batteries).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Some portable heaters come with a 'lifetime' warranty. If they malfunction, you die, and the warranty expires too.