Prodigy Brake Controller - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2006, 01:18 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Last year, I finally got around to buying and installing a Prodigy brake controller in my Ranger truck; several weeks ago I hooked my egg up to the truck for the first time and all went well.

Several days ago, I noticed that it was blinking (two low dashed lines meaning it was mounted at a bad angle) -- I tried all sorts of stuf, including depowering it and pointing it waaaayyy up to see if I could induce the alternate warning. Finally called Prodigy Tech Support and learned:

1. Must be depowered for 20 minutes!!! for a full reset.

2. If it's still broke (It is) then just take it in to any place that sells them and get an exchange under Lifetime Warranty.

Haven't done that yet.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Thanks, Pete. I just bought a Prodigy because of all the raves. I don't remember much about problems--must be rare!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Several days ago, I noticed that it was blinking (two low dashed lines meaning it was mounted at a bad angle)
In the instructions that came with my Prodigy, it stated to NOT mount it at more than a 45 degree angle (I think that's what it said!). There's no place on the dash of my 2000 F-150 to mount it, no built in pocket and the cup holder/ash tray area is waaaay to big. I know some folks have mounted the Prodigy at a nearly verticle angle...just because you can, doesn't mean you should What I do is not the best, but once it's hooked up, I just lay it on the seat next to me. It's right by my right hand and after pulling many, many miles it's never moved. Not the best method for sure, but currently works for me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Donna, just installed my new Prodigy in my Tahoe and the maximum allowed angle is 70 deg not 45 deg. Surprised you cannot find a suitable location for permanent mounting.. I have mounted a bunch of accessories in various vehicles and usually fabricate my own bracket if the supplied stuff doesn't work.. I purchase aluminum bar stock at Home Depot or Lowes etc and cut and bend to the shape needed. But if the seat works for you not much else to say. Martin
Martin D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
There is only one place mine would work, and I am not happy about it, but, whatcha gonna do?

The Element has an open dash, with a row of cubbies alla old internatianal truck style. Mine sit almost directly behind the steering wheel, on the right side. I have to lean a little to see the display, but I got used to it. Once it's set, I don't need to be watching it like a TV.

It's near level where it is.

I used to unplug it and stow it to avoid theft, but the plastic house it rides in is sharp! I sliced my had twice when removing it. I gave up and it lives there permanently.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Donna, just installed my new Prodigy in my Tahoe and the maximum allowed angle is 70 deg not 45 deg. Surprised you cannot find a suitable location for permanent mounting.. I have mounted a bunch of accessories in various vehicles and usually fabricate my own bracket if the supplied stuff doesn't work.. I purchase aluminum bar stock at Home Depot or Lowes etc and cut and bend to the shape needed. But if the seat works for you not much else to say. Martin
I wish there were. Other than bolting something to the dash or maybe to the steering column there isn't. The dash goes down to low too, I'd be reaching waaaay down. I bought this truck before I realized I was going to be pulling a trailer and would need a brake controller. Don't suppose it would have made any difference even if I had tho.

Gina, I use the controller on two different tugs so it must be removable.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
In the instructions that came with my Prodigy, it stated to NOT mount it at more than a 45 degree angle (I think that's what it said!).

I believe the maximum angle is 70°. Mine is probably at about a 50° angle. It also needs to be pointed in the right direction.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I made a small bracket which allows the Prodigy to mount to the open coin tray / cupholder which retracts in the centre area of my Sienna dash. The cable is routed through the storage bin at the bottom of the centre area, and is unplugged from the controller and left coiled up in that bin when not towing; the Prodigy with its bracket are removed and stored elsewhere.

This idea is from a Sienna forum (there's an internet discussion forum for just about anything...) and Pete later mentioned that this is also commonly done in Ford Ranger pickups. A similar approach might be an option for anyone looking for mounting points.

As for Pete's original tilt problem: I think I saw the bars once when setting the controller up, but had no issue with the condition clearing; perhaps the two units are at different software versions. In my case, the easiest angle for mounting and use is well within the acceptable range, and the steepest mountain roads which I have driven (at least 8% grade) have not caused a limit error in either direction.

I followed the mounting directions as provided with the unit and also available from Tekonsha on their Prodigy web page. As Bryon mentioned, it needs to be pointing straight forward for proper operation; it should also be level side-to-side.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I use a controller for the 17' Boler and it sits on a mount on the hump in the truck....for the mount I used a piece of 3/4 x 4 x 5 cedar board...under the board are two pieces of 2x2x5 that is tapered from 1 1/2 to nothing...(gives the tilt angle)....glued to the cedar board...a few brads are nailed partway up into the tapered pieces with about 3/8" sticking out to grip the carpet....this contraption goes nowhere unless you pick it up and move it...easy to unplug and take out too...p.s. it`s not a Prodigy but an older Jordan electronic Mk2 that I used to use on a car trailer...works just fine! ....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:59 AM   #10

There are two reasons that my lights are on (It's mounted near dead level and straigth fore-aft. One is that I recently used it with the trailer for the first time, so there may have been infant failure; the second is that I kicked it with a big muddy boot while setting the parking brake.

BTW, I haven't hooked up the trailer, but aside from that off-level indication, I believe everything else works. As far as leveling goes, the Prodigy is far less critical than my previous Tekonsha Voyager.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
So did ya hook the trailer up, or not?

Quote:
One is that I recently used it with the trailer for the first time, so there may have been infant failure;

BTW, I haven't hooked up the trailer, but aside from that off-level indication, I believe everything else works. As far as leveling goes, the Prodigy is far less critical than my previous Tekonsha Voyager.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
(Shhhhhh. Jordan Controllers are immune to tilt...)
Bill Abbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:34 AM   #13

Quote:
So did ya hook the trailer up, or not?
No, I haven't hooked up the trailer yet and it will prolly be a while as it is low on my current list of priorities.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I don`t know if the tilt is required or not on the Jordan.......haven`t used it for many years and don`t know where the instructions are...... had it mounted under the dash in my older truck and it was tilted so mounted it tilted on the hump.....the tilt up sure would help to reach the front button to dynamite the brakes, if I had to, in a panic (i.e.trailer sway) situation....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #15

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I made a little wooden bracket for the Prodigy which hooks over the cupholder tray in the dash (Honda Odyssey). Friction fit with the use of felt. The cables form a loom which ends in a plug going into its panel mount counterpart in the area under and to the right of the steering wheel. <3 seconds to mount the controller and hook up.
The plug is the thing here: a Speakon 4-lead plug which you push in and twist to the right to lock in place. Very easy and totally secure. This is esoteric stuff to me (made in Liechtenstein, no less) but cheap and available in a well-stocked radio-electronics store. In fact, I have ripped out the push-in 12volt cigarette lighter type power suppliers (those engineering abominations) elsewhere and replaced them with the 2-contact Speakon versions. Not a moment too soon either.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:41 AM   #16

Walked into parts store of Bulgemobile RV Lot and swapped out my
controller for a new one with no worries -- The new one doesn't
indicate off-level.

The one parts guy said they had several to go back under warranty, but I imagine they have a lot of turnover because they sell a lot of stick/bulge trailers
Old 01-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #17

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Speakons are your friend..

But I digress
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #18

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Quote:
I wish there were. Other than bolting something to the dash or maybe to the steering column there isn't. The dash goes down to low too, I'd be reaching waaaay down. I bought this truck before I realized I was going to be pulling a trailer and would need a brake controller. Don't suppose it would have made any difference even if I had tho.

Gina, I use the controller on two different tugs so it must be removable.

Hey Donna,

Here is a trick I did on a previous vehicle. I assume you have the little U shaped mounting bracket that came with your Prodigy. Cut out a couple of disks from a 2"x4" the size of your cup holder. Glue them together and either paint it or cover it with scrap vinyl to match your interior. Then screw the bracket to the top and attach the controler. It is not a perfect solution but it works.
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Hey Donna,

Here is a trick I did on a previous vehicle. I assume you have the little U shaped mounting bracket that came with your Prodigy. Cut out a couple of disks from a 2"x4" the size of your cup holder. Glue them together and either paint it or cover it with scrap vinyl to match your interior. Then screw the bracket to the top and attach the controler. It is not a perfect solution but it works.
Sound interesting and doable. Too bad you can't take a picture
Quote:
previous vehicle
The is supposed to be "out" today...I'm going to do a bit of investigating

Thanks for the hint Rob