Product suppliers (preferrably in Canada) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Name: Keene
Trailer: Bigfoot b17 Gaucho
British Columbia
Product suppliers (preferrably in Canada)

Hi all, I am really enjoying reading all the information that this site offers and hope to contribute when I can.

I know that shopping around can (at times) save significant money or lead to better quality made products.

I have a few things that I am looking to purchase soon and am looking for your choice suppliers. Butyl tape, interior LED's and a new converter (probably a PD 4045 even after seeing the 'battery maintenance' post) are a couple things I can think of off hand.

I have no problem ordering things from the USA if I can save some money but in the past the duties and taxes have caused me regrets.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
PD-4045: Try Frank Bear at teardrop trailer parts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Keena I feel your pain re the cost of mail order shipping. But keep in mind when ordering small items such as LED's etc if your mail order is $20 or under there are no duty/customs charges. Take a look at the shipping costs total if you break your order up to smaller orders - may not be worth it in the end.

I have a local shop I get most of my small inexpensive items from such as butyl tape etc. For the bigger ticket items I shop around on line or call some of the RV suppliers in the Burlington/Bellingham area and order from them and then combine a camping trip down at beautiful Deception Pass with my pick up trip. if you are out of the country for 24 hours you can bring back up to $200 worth of goods back duty free, if away 48 hours or more up to $800 worth of goods.

If the bigger ticket item cant be found at a reasonable price in the Burlington Washington area I do shop on line and often have the item shipped to friends homes in Washington and arrange to collect it from them the next time we meet up for camping.

For real big ticket items - such as new tug or trailer tires I wait until I am going to Oregon to camp - the ultimate tax free shopping experience. :-) saved about C$400 on tug tires going that route. ;-0

At Blain and Sumas borders they also have mail box services for a very small fee you can use and then you just need to go as far as the border to pick up. Mostly just helps you take advantage of the free shipping offers in the USA. Works well if you happen to live on the lower mainland. There is technically no duty fee limit on visits of less than 24 hours but a lot of folks seem to be using those mail box services and for some strange reason arent asked to often pay duty on the item they picked even when they tell the border folks they picked something out - I suspect that approach is a bit of a crap shoot though and may depend greatly on the value of the item and how good a mood the border guard happens to be in that day. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Keene, roughly where are you in B.C.? Running across the border into the U.S. - to a store or a mailbox - is great if you are a few minutes from the border, but obviously not so practical if you are in Prince George...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks for the tips.

I wasn't aware of the <$20 no duty but it makes complete sense. The administration would be debilitating.

I'm on Vancouver Island so it'd be a ferry ride away, not the most economical way to travel...

Are butyl tape products from Lordco, Canadian tire, eBay (lol), acceptable or should I stick to getting it from dedicated RVshops?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keene Anderson View Post

Are butyl tape products from Lordco, Canadian tire, eBay (lol), acceptable or should I stick to getting it from dedicated RVshops?
Well there is butyl tape and then there is butyl tape A thread called Butyl Tape?? is worth reading.

Have found that the stuff at Canadian Tire and Lordco is more often than not, not the stuff you really want.. you want the real sticky stuff. As your on the Island check at the local marina supply shops. Have had good success getting the right stuff from a small marina near me - paid a bit more for it but it was way sticker than the stuff I purchased previously from an RV shop.

I grew up on the Island and family still there. Where are you on the Island.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #7

British Columbia
Thanks for the link!

I'm in Nanaimo. Raised in the Cedar area.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Name: Larry
Trailer: Volvo 245 pulling '71 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
If you really want to hear about butyl tape, you have to check out Compass Marine:

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
coalminecanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
If you really want to hear about butyl tape, you have to check out Compass Marine:

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
CHECK OUT this statement:
Step 3 - Press the through bolts into deck hardware with some good pressure.

First though make sure the hardware is clean, Acetone works well, but if Silicone was previously used you'll really want abrasives as Acetone won't touch dry silicone contamination.

Gelcoat silicone contamination is a whole other subject for a whole other day. Please avoid silicone except for certain tasks involving plastics that require its use.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #10

Name: Larry
Trailer: Volvo 245 pulling '71 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Yeah - silicone should not be used on any fiberglass anywhere for anything!

That site gives some of the best fiberglass repair and 12V electrical advice that I've seen anywhere. Definitely worth a thorough read!
coalminecanary is offline   Reply With Quote