Professional refurbishing in Ottawa? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

Name: Mom2Philip
Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Ontario
Professional refurbishing in Ottawa?

Can anyone recommend professionals to repaint/refurbish my 1973 Trillium?

I've been doing lots of research and while I'm sure I can do some of the work on my own I'm worried that it won't be done properly or that I'll mess something up.

I'm getting a quote from a local RV place here but I get the impression they need to do as much research as I do, to do the work. While they have many years of RV experience I'm not sure it's with this type of trailer.

Looking for someone in the Ottawa Gatineau area. Would be willing to bring it to Kingston or Montreal if need be.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Mom2philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
First ,is the trailer the original gel coat or has it been painted. If it is fair original cond you can wet sand and apply zep and get the trailer to a pretty impressive finish ,ive done many that looked hopeless. If you need to have it repainted I would stay away from most rv shops and instead check with a body or boat repair shop .There are many threads here on painting the trailer yourself with interlux bright side paint and doing it yourself
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #3

Ontario
Trailer is original gelcoat. I thought about doing it ourselves but realistically both my husband and I are super busy. We would rather just pay someone to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Ontario
At this point I might even be willing to drive it to the U.S. to have it done

The alternative will be abandoning this idea and buying a new 2015 Trillium 1500 instead. Frankly the idea of not having to do anything and getting a/c and solar is sounding really good right about now.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I think that if a new 1500 is in your price range, that may be your best bet.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

Ontario
Yes we can afford it. Only issue is I'll still want to rip out the flooring, redo the cushions and the awning

Old 03-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Sometimes people suggest getting boatworks to re-do gelcoat/fiberglass work. An RV place will be a good bet for some of the appliance work, but our trailers have much in common with fiberglass boats.

There are some floorcoverings that you can float over the extant floor. Pergo, some interlocking carpet squares, etc. Look through the mods forum here to see some ideas?
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Are you looking for someone to make it look better or make it safe to go down the road (campable)? Lots of folks have enjoyed something no more than using their trailer as a hard-sided tent. And had a TON of fun along the way. There's still other's expecting something old to present itself as new and have everything new. It's about expectations.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #9

Ontario
I'm looking for someone to make it both safe and cute .

Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2philip View Post
I'm looking for someone to make it both safe and cute .
Okay, you're beyond my budget/ideas. Cute is so subjective. My theme is "clean" and sometimes I hit it and sometimes I don't

Best of luck!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #11

Ontario
Well I can help you or anyone with design I had a home staging business so colors and making it look cute are my thing....now doing the work myself I'm not so good at...clearly

Old 03-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #12

Name: Totie Fan
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
West Coast
My input, since I'm rehabbing a shambles of a shell, is if you're at the mental stage of decorating, don't get into the guts of wiring and bondo, sanding and primer, you'll be surprised how much time it takes.
You should sell this, buy something newer that everything works extremely well on, then go pick your fabrics, interior surfaces, and get them sewn/installed which any boat repair place can do.
Maybe not a totally new one, because it'd be hard to undo perfectly new cushions etc...perhaps maybe you can order a new one with your choice of fabrics? You could always a$k.
Tote-n-Tarry No.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #13

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Sell it. If you enjoy doing the work, do it, otherwise just buy a new one. Having someone else do the work will not be cost effective.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I bought one with most of the 'ick' work (repairs) done, and then I did minor modifications and fru fru stuff. If you can afford a better trailer, IMO, then go for one that needs less work. Gives you more time for the fun stuff (including camping)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #15

Ontario
I have explored buying new but they are either UGLY or way too expensive (40K plus). I like modern clean lines. Brown/beige 1980's grandma decor is not something I'm willing to pay 25K for. I know some people are ok with that and think it looks nice, but I just can't live with it. (It's like sandpaper for my eyes). Luckily the condition of the trailer we've found is quite exceptional. It's original gel coat, no mould. The original windows work and it really doesn't smell inside. The RV guy couldn't believe the condition given the age. With the safety things addressed a less picky person might even camp in it as is . If the RV place can handle the electrical, frame recall and the propane upgrade, we'll be in a position to just do the cosmetic upgrades we want to do . Just wait until you see the pictures when it's done...I'm sure you'll all want to buy it from me.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #16

Score and good for you!

I bought brand new. But Brown/beige 1980's grandma decor...isn't anything Escape Trailer Industries understands. The fabric for Ten Forward came from Hawaii.
Attached Thumbnails
U-Shape-02.jpg  
Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You should point out, Donna, that your upholstery is not standard ETI, but fabric you spec'd, along with formica etc.
My upholstery is brown/beige and I like it like that. Colour comes from throw pillows and accents.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:16 AM   #18

You did it for me Glenn

Yes the spec fabric for an ETI build is beige/brown, but it's not your grandmother's upholstery fabric. Actually everything ETI uses for standard is very nice. I think they did a great job in picking out what the masses of folks would like. I kept the standard vinyl flooring

Mom2philip... can't wait to see pictures of what you decide on. I'm sure it will be perfect for you.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #19

Ontario
You just watch Donna...I'm going to bring you all into the 2000's . Grey and white are the new brown/beige.

Just for you I'll volunteer to help with your colors when you are ready (and sold)

Old 03-13-2015, 06:06 AM   #20

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I bought a shell T4500 2 years ago because all the ones I found locally had original appliances. I installed recent appliances that work. About the outside of your Trilli, if the gellcoat is still there, just get it buffed (use boatwax and a machine buffer). there are lots of suggestions on here. Any painted one has not looked good to me after a few years unless you want a totally different look like a "silver bullitt". Do your decorating on the interior first. You will be totally amazed at the change in look just by changing the curtains, cabinet doors and cushion covers. (I still need to do mine). FYI, I do like the grey/white look that I have seen in some of the VW Westy vans. If you have the cream fibreglass interior and want it white, you will need to go to a boat shop and get advice on primer and boat paint and a lot of masking tape (I advise against it! :-)). I look forward to seeing your finished product. J
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote