I'm overdue for a progress update on my Trillium
, so here goes.
I put the Trillium
in my garage last fall
(it barely fits) and started working on it slowly when I had free time. A few things were on my list, including the belly band, the pitted fiberglass at the bottom/front of the trailer, and the old 3-way fridge
and propane furnace
After lots of reading on this forum I tackled the belly band. The band had been siliconed by a previous owner and wasn't leaking, but I wanted a more elegant fix. After removing the aluminum strip I pulled out the metal plates that were rusty. Some plates were still solid so I left them in place. The fiberglass was ground down flat, and then I filled the gap with thickened epoxy resin. I used a high density thickener for added strength inside the gap, and a lightweight thickener on top for the finishing work. The whole job took me the better part of winter to complete, but I'm happy with the results.
I wound up deciding to convert the trailer to all-electric. So the furnace
came out, leaving a big opening on the side of the trailer that needed to be filled in. At the same time I pulled out the 3-way fridge
along with the fiberglass shroud behind it. The shroud limits exhaust fumes from entering the trailer and wouldn't be needed with an electric-only fridge
. I cut a flat section off the shroud to use as a backing panel for filliing the furnace
hole. Then I applied fiberglass cloth behind the the filler plate and thickened epoxy on the outside.
The new fridge is a NovaKool R1900 AC/DC fridge. It fits well in the opening left behind by the old Dometic, but it is a bit narrower and shorter. So I installed a plywood filler plate that I painted white. On the outside, I will keep the vent plates used by the Dometic. These should provide enough venting to cool off the electric fridge.
Because the top half of the trailer is in pretty decent shape, I decided to not paint
it...for now anyway. I may change my mind next winter and paint
the top half too. But with some buffing the old gelcoat looks quite good.
I decided to go with Rustoleum Marine Topside. I rolled on a coat of primer first and wetsanded it smooth. I'm now currently on the second coat of paint, with at least one more coat to go, and westanding in between each coat. Once I get finished with the paint I'll put up some more pictures.