Project Boomerang - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #81

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Fiberglass Rally @ Lake Casitas, CA
Attachment 90338
I decided we needed air conditioning. A friend gave me a used portable air conditioner, but it's so big... then I got the idea to think outside the box! I went to Home Depot's plumbing & heating section and found all of the parts I needed to make this work.The Chimney vents the hot outside exhaust away from the cool outside intake. In operation the metal becomes too hot to touch, thus the reflectix wrap. Reflectix is also placed inside the top's canvass with the screens zipped closed, when you want a barrier and not ventilation. The air conditioner (and it's vents) ride inside the trailer bungied to the center bunk legs.
We did not need it on Thursday or Friday, but on Saturday it was over 90° outside. Inside the trailer stayed 65° with the A/C running.
I love your creative AC solution, you are definitely a member of the "where there is a will there is a way" club.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #82

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
This trailer is really nice. Gave me a bunch of ideas.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #83

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Door rehab - revisited

"Attachment 81754 ... totally disassembled.
Discarded the aluminum skin and the broken window. Kept the inner and outer perimeter frames. Bought a new window..."

I know it's been a while, but the issue of door rehab came up again this past weekend while at the Niagara Wine Escape rally. Two of us would like to rehab our doors (one for a Compact Jr and one for a C-II), and I remembered your post.
Our question has to do with how you disassembled the door. There don't appear to be any screws or rivets holding it together. Did you just break it apart at the seams in the perimeter frame? Or, is there a secret access panel that we haven't found yet?

And, of course, any more specific information on the reassembly would be greatly appreciated.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #84

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
Or, is there a secret access panel that we haven't found yet?

And, of course, any more specific information on the reassembly would be greatly appreciated.
The "Secret Panel" is the window!
  1. From the outside, remove the 4 clips and take off the screen.
  2. The window "sash" are spring loaded. The springs are located on the doorknob side. From the inside, pinch/squeeze the sash frame sideways toward the doorknob. This releases each sash from the frame.
  3. Pull the left side of one sash toward the inside of the trailer. Repeat for the other sash. This exposes the screws holding the solid side panels in place.
  4. Unscrew the exposed screws for the side panels. Move the 2 inner frames toward the center by lightly tapping sideways, using a hammer & screw driver flat-blade against the frame - where the thin aluminum panels are pressed into grooves in the frame.
  5. Wearing gloves, pull the SHARP thin aluminum side panels toward the center and out of the remaining grooves. This exposes more screws holding the upper and lower panels. Repeat actions to remove upper/lower inner frames & panels
  6. Outer frame is assembled like screen windows with "L" shaped inserts in the corners that are press fit. Pull top frame outwards, taking 2 "L" inserts with it, then repeat until outer frame looks like the photo shown in the linked post.

Reassembly is in reverse order.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #85

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Thank you.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote