Propane/battery shroud cutouts for stabilizer hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 11:06 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Bigfoot 17'
British Columbia
Propane/battery shroud cutouts for stabilizer hitch

My Bigfoot's propane shroud had some pretty gnarly cutouts in it for the stabilizer jack, the quality of the cuts is what I like to call "Beaver Chew". Being a fairly particular guy who can't handle rough looking work, I decided to take the 30 minutes needed to fix it, here's how you do it:

Tools:
A router with a flush trimming bit
A piece of 3/4" plywood
Two clamps
A vacuum
Tape

I cut the piece of 3/4" plywood to be much longer than my intended cutout, this way I left room for clamping it on. I laid out a square hole with rounded corners that was larger than both the beaver chew cutouts in the center of the plywood. I cut it out on the bandsaw and sanded the edges smooth.

Next I clamped the plywood on the shroud. I made sure that my cutout would encompass the cutouts on either side by measuring from one end of the shroud to my piece of plywood. Next I got out my router which had my shop vac nozzle taped to it (to help with the dust) and using the piece of plywood as a guide I routed out the holes to a nice clean cut.

Simple, fast, effective and clean.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190414_111644.jpg   IMG_20190414_111649.jpg  

IMG_20190414_111653.jpg   IMG_20190414_111657.jpg  

IMG_20190414_112241.jpg   MVIMG_20190414_115919.jpg  

IMG_20190414_115924.jpg  
Timwiltshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Beautiful Job. My 2019 BF has a cargo box and propane shroud that is all one piece. I cut my holes for the Blue Ox WDH using a Dremel and going very slowly. It came out ok but not nearly as nice as your cutout.

I then used an plastic edging which makes it look nicer than it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3588.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	129176
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:13 AM   #3

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
You came up with a very professional looking solution.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Beautiful Job. My 2019 BF has a cargo box and propane shroud that is all one piece. I cut my holes for the Blue Ox WDH using a Dremel and going very slowly. It came out ok but not nearly as nice as your cutout.

I then used an plastic edging which makes it look nicer than it is.

Attachment 129176
Thanks, yours looks very clean and also like an appropriately sized hole for the hitch! Mine were originally cut enormous for some strange reason. I also bought some trim-lok trim to cover up the edges and protect the glass/gelcoat, I installed it the other night in-situ.

P.S. Does your battery tray have space for dual 6V batteries from the factory?
Old 05-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #5

Tennessee
It holds only one battery. That white thing is a piece of a dog flea collar; supposed to keep wasps away. Wasps are attracted to the smell of propane.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3605.jpg  
Old 05-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
You came up with a very professional looking solution.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
It holds only one battery. That white thing is a piece of a dog flea collar; supposed to keep wasps away. Wasps are attracted to the smell of propane.

Why would wasps smell propane if the tank is properly installed?
Old 05-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #8

Tennessee
Insects may be more sensitive to smells or the presence of propane than a human nose is. Could be why dirt daubers like to build nests in the areas with connections to the propane lines. It was suggested flea collars may ward them off. Worth a try.

May be an old wives tale, like some of the things used against squirrels and pack rats to stop them from eating hoses and insulated wires. Somethings work, some don't.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
nice looking job
I would like to add that a few years back I put one of those simple 20# propane tank covers on my Boler. I had to buy a longer gas line to go under the cover then back up to the regulator.
This worked fine for about 6 months then getting ready for a week long, late fall, camping trip I was going to test the gas furnace and there was a hissing and a smell of propane when I turned the tank on.
The rubber gas line had a hole in it where it was rubbing on the bottom of the tank cover.
A quick trip to Campers World, to buy a new hose and the tank cover still sits in the corner of my shop.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
I was wondering about this. I guess I will have to go without weight distribution for a while after I pick up my 25TB in Feburary or March.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #11

Tennessee
Don’t sweat it. I pulled my new 25up and down a serious my when we bought it. It towed better than my smaller Casita with an Andersen WDH. You may even decide to tow without a WDH!
Old 10-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I was wondering about this. I guess I will have to go without weight distribution for a while after I pick up my 25TB in Feburary or March.
If you do that, then ensure you load your trailer heavy on the front.

I have towed both ways (with and without a WDH), and after you experience trailer sway or a lack of braking power for the first time you'll be a weight distribution hitch convert.

Why not just cut the holes for your weight distribution hitch as soon as you get your bigfoot and hook it up? It's well worth it, safety first.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:22 AM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Insects may be more sensitive to smells or the presence of propane than a human nose is. Could be why dirt daubers like to build nests in the areas with connections to the propane lines. It was suggested flea collars may ward them off. Worth a try.

May be an old wives tale, like some of the things used against squirrels and pack rats to stop them from eating hoses and insulated wires. Somethings work, some don't.
Wasp will build nest inside of most any convenient area with an easy to access opening. The flea collars to use are the ones that contain insecticide. A chunk of "No Pest" strip will also work. You do need to replace that chunk every six months. You don't need a whole strip of it, just a couple of inches long chunk in a plastic mesh container is enough. Wrap the rest of it up in foil to keep it airtight until you need to replace it. What works is killing the wasp that try to linger. Repellents are not as effective.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwiltshire View Post
If you do that, then ensure you load your trailer heavy on the front.

I have towed both ways (with and without a WDH), and after you experience trailer sway or a lack of braking power for the first time you'll be a weight distribution hitch convert.

Why not just cut the holes for your weight distribution hitch as soon as you get your bigfoot and hook it up? It's well worth it, safety first.
I do have quite the selection of tools. What size hole saw should I use for the top of the cutout.

The equalizer WDH that I have is 600# tongue and 6000# overall so it will work if I don't load the trailer or no fresh water. It should be fine to get me home.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #15

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Wasp will build nest inside of most any convenient area with an easy to access opening. The flea collars to use are the ones that contain insecticide. A chunk of "No Pest" strip will also work. You do need to replace that chunk every six months. You don't need a whole strip of it, just a couple of inches long chunk in a plastic mesh container is enough. Wrap the rest of it up in foil to keep it airtight until you need to replace it. What works is killing the wasp that try to linger. Repellents are not as effective.
Thanks for the tip. I just got home from 3 months on the road and found the wires in a jeep I have stored in the barn eaten through by squirrels or mice. Darn it, now I have to come up with a deterrent for these buggers as well as Wasps.

Tags
battery, propane