Propane Coffee Maker - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
I got the one cup Melitta filter cone, a hand me down from a friend. Works like a champ. I am considering getting the bigger one as well. Hey, a teakettle is necessary for tea anyways. But a simple cooking pot works also to heat water...
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #22

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I had one of those for years when we lived in Iowa City/Coralville because we didn't have soft water and our coffee makers would crap out left and right. I finally got one for the camper because I got tired of "creek coffee". Coffee that taste like it's out of the creek.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #23

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
I finally got one for the camper because I got tired of "creek coffee". Coffee that taste like it's out of the creek.
Sounds like you had a percolator... I never could make drinkable coffee with one of those. I am really excited about having good drip coffee in the Scamp this weekend. The wife is excited because she gets to have her M.E. Swing coffee (D.C. are roasting company).
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #24

Iowa
Registry
Worse then that. This coffee was made in pot older then me so it can go into a museum. It is sometime referred to as cowboy/Boy Scout coffee. No strainer. Boil the water, put in the grounds, let it sit and steep and hope you can drink it. I was told by old farm wives the secret was to put an egg shell in it to get the grounds to settle.

My favorite it to see tent campers at electrical sites with their automatic coffee maker plugged in on the top of the electrical box.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #25

Maryland
Sounds pretty nasty...

Re: tent campers -- I could see myself doing that back when I was 18. If only they had electrical sites at my favorite campground back then! We used to bring a keg of home-brewed beer when we went tent camping...
Old 10-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #26

Iowa
Registry
What sad is some were quite mature. My husband would think beer for breakfast at 18 to be perfectly acceptable. He even discovered it as a third shift supervisor at Sheller Globe years ago. Except I would come home at 5 and find all the donuts gone and him and his beer can alseep in front of the TV.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #27

Maryland
Just got back from our first real Scamping adventure! The Melitta 10 cup manual drip coffee maker made it worth getting out of bed early. Our 6-month-old boy is teething, so he didn't let us get much sleep.

To make coffee, I heated up water in my electric kettle, which can heat enough water for about 6 cups (standard coffee measure). 8 cups was perfect for me and my wife, so I had to heat up water twice to finish a pot. I will keep an eye out for a slightly larger electric kettle just for the Scamp. I would like one of the "cordless" ones that has a base and a kettle, rather than the one-piece kettle like I have now.

The Melitta made wonderful coffee. The only comment, which should be obvious, is that it doesn't keep coffee hot like an automatic drip machine. I could use an insulated carafe... But I'll just drink my coffee faster!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #28

Iowa
Registry
When camping, you can't have it all but you can have it. Teething, snot nosed, unhappy child.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #29

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
When camping, you can't have it all but you can have it. Teething, snot nosed, unhappy child.
He wasn't too unhappy...

Old 10-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
What a cutie!

Tags
propane