Propane conversion of Honda Genny! - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
I completed converting my Honda EU2000i to run only on propane. I 'should' get about 13 hours at full load and about 40 hours at half load from a full BBQ 20 lb tank! No more problems with stale gasolene, nor the smell of gas when transporting.
This was NOT a job for the 'faint of heart'!
Even though I got a 'kit' from US Carburetion for the job, it is NOT a swap out parts kind of thing. I had to fill in a crankcase breather hole, reroute the breather to another hole, and grind out a brass right angle fitting for joining the propane hose to the 'spud' (the thingy that puts the propane into the carb)!
This was in addition to;
removing the gas tank, removing the fuel pump and related hoses, taking the carb apart, getting the bowl off, removing the float and needle valve, removing the internal jet (unscrewing), then drilling a hole up the carb to fit the spud!
This is not an easily reversible modification. I then could mount the secondary low pressure demand regulator where the gas tank was and run the hose out of the top fuel cap hole. I used a quick disconnect at that point, so the rest of the 6' hose is on the main regulator which fits on the propane tank, just like a BBQ grill.
Adjusting the setting on the 'Load Block' seemed straight forward and I tested the Genny from no load to almost 2 kW with no problem. I'll have to try it for a while till I can actually see how well it starts and works! It sounds as quiet as it did before!
The US Carburetion Type A Kit and the other regulator-hose kit came to about $200
Another modification project finished!
Mike .....>

Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Sounds like a lot of machinist type work.
Any pictures so others can determine if they want to try this themselves or decide to join the faint of heart?

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

I always felt that Propane was the way to go. I have been to rallys where others had done this conversion, and envied their accomplishment. It seemed to me that the Honda Generator is even quieter on propane, but I may be wishful thinking.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
Sounds like a lot of machinist type work.
Any pictures so others can determine if they want to try this themselves or decide to join the faint of heart?
Unfortunately, now that it's buttoned up and working, I can't get any decent pictures!
HOWEVER, if you join the Yahoo Honda Generator Usegroup :
and go to :
there are some pictures of how someone else did it! I suspect that there are various vintages of EU2000i generators, as I ran into several problems that were not shown in those pix. Also, US Carburation often changes their parts too.
Good luck!
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote