Propane gas line - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #1

Name: Sal
Trailer: Uhaul CT13
California
Propane gas line

Ok so need to replace the 3/8" gas line that runs under my uhaul ct13. I wanted to use galvanized iron pipe for superior corrosion resistance instead of black iron pipe. Problem I'm having is I can't find 3/8" pipe anywhere. Smallest I could find is 1/2". Will it matter if I use 1/2"??

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
esfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
From a quick Internet search Black iron pipe is used because the LP is corrosive and will flake off the galvanizing in galvanized piping. The flakes will clog the burners of LP devices. At least the seems to be the consensus. You might want to reconsider.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #3

California
Ok sounds good now I just need to find the black iron pipe in 3/8". Anyone know if I use 1/2" pipe would there be too much flow? I'm assuming the 3/8" pipe on my CT is original?

Old 07-12-2014, 01:45 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Sal, before you get any black pipe you may want to rethink pipe. All the RVs I've had have soft copper tubing. Never had a problem with any of them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The early Uhauls used 3/8 copper, the later ones used iron pipe, at least under the trailer for safety reasons, and according to the Uhaul repair manual the ones with copper were supposed to be updated with iron. I suspect that some of them did not get that update as ours still had copper.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #6

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
The flow is controlled by the orifice in the burner. Larger pipe would work fine.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
bob, is your gas line exposed on the bottom of the trailer? If that's true, then I would think pipe is a better choice. Most trailers I've seen (including my Casita) have soft copper gas lines but they're entirely inside.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
My trailer has copper tubing located under the trailer but the copper is run inside a plastic hose to protect it. Seems to be doing the job and lots easier than threaded pipe. If I was redoing mine I would use flexible PVC conduit (sold at Home Depot etc.) to protect the copper instead of plastic hose.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When I had my propane tank buried they installed a copper pipe that has a thick sheath on the outside for direct bury. Check with your propane distributor and see if you can purchase some of that along with the fittings. Would be Ideal and just maybe you can get them to install it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
hello all. I had the same dilemna. My Casita came with a copper line that when I removed it was severely kinked from factory. Although 1/2" is overkill, major overkill for my application, sizewise, that is the route I am, will be taking. 3/8 is just not a popular size and hard to find ( special order only from plumbing supply houses ). I went with the 1/2 " green coated underground black iron. more overkill lol. Don't quote me, but from a safety perspective, I don't think running a trunk line in the interior is wise, safe or legal. only the appliance connectors, I believe , are allowed to be installed in the interior. That would be the line from the trunk line directly to the appliance.
olderishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #11

New York
Terry, my copper gas line was exposed under the trailer, but I have since removed the stove and furnace along with most of the gas line and don't remember if it had any damage. Like Darwin says, copper line is now available with a sheath or covering on it. When I worked in the propane and fuel oil business 20 some years ago we did not have that product available. Now it seems to be standard use for both propane and fuel and certainly what I would use if I was to run new line. Also with either fuel you use flare fittings, NOT compression fittings and check every connection for leaks. Best to use a manometer when checking propane, but at least use soapy water and watch for bubbles. There was a commercial liquid product for checking for leaks but it's basically soapy water. Someone suggested a shield of some sort to protect exposed copper lines but be sure to avoid any possibility of vibration or rubbing areas that could wear through the line.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #12

New York
Charlie; good point on the trunk line being outside. Also keep in mind propane is heavier than air and will settle in a low spot, inside or out.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #13

California
Does anybody know at what pressure rv lpg lines are tested at ? Residential gas is 10 lbs for 15 minutes, but I have no idea whar RV lpg is. Anybody ?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What is the output pressure of the regulator?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
What is the output pressure of the regulator?
I believe the regulator should be set at approximately 11" WC (water column), measured with a manometer.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #16

California
I've decided to go with 1/2" black iron pipe. It's available and easy install. I'll paint it to help prevent rust.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:49 AM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Sal, make sure you use a pipe dope compatable with lp.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #18

California
hello.If you use teflon tape, Use yellow teflon tape. white is not approved for gas. Back to the pressure test, and please forgive this thick skull, but 11" water column equates to a little less than 4/10 PSI ? So an air pressure test of 1/2 lb for a while (15-30 minutes) will work the best ? no special gauge to buy.

Tags
propane