Propane line Quick Connect for heater? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #1

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Propane line Quick Connect for heater?

Off Season Modifications, Season One, Episode One:
Looking for information and suggestions on propane line Quick Connect for heater.

Objective: Install a Low Pressure Model 250 Quick Connect (QD) Female Socket in my Scamp 16 (Layout four).

Background: I will be using an extension gas hose with a Wave heater so I have some flexibility on where to install the QD socket. I do not want to do anything very permanent (at least right away) in case it does not work out as well as I expect. Also the heater will not be used very often, and most of the time it and the extension hose will be stored away.

I did not get the factory installed furnace and as it turns out, Scamp left a capped-off gas line in the sink cabinet. I guess they use pre-made gas lines and it’s easier to just leave any unused branches after capping them off. It seems then, that the best option is to install the QD on the end of the unused furnace line inside the sink cabinet.

Questions 1 & 2: Has anyone installed a propane quick connect in a Scamp before? Does anyone use a portable Wave heater in a fiberglass trailer?

Question 3: What is the connection type where the line terminates (see photo)? It appears to be the same size and type of connection used throughout the Scamp, including the 3-way and 4-way Tees. I think I know what it is, but I am looking for confirmation. I think the QD is only available in 1/4 NPT so I am guessing an additional adapter will be required. And the proper way to install it?

Question 4: How can I (should I) mount the QD to the cabinet. I can attach a wooden mounting block with epoxy and glass mat but I do not find a bracket made for the QD.

Illustrative photos are here.

BTW, I have am aware of the need to vent and the possible problem with condensation. I have made the decision to at least try the Wave heater so we can hopefully stay on topic in this thread. Also you can assume I am going to professionals for the install and this discussion is only so I can be sure that they do it right.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
You want more than a "quick disconnect" for the inside of the trailer. If the disconnect seal fails you will have a trailer full of propane. I used this one for my external quick connection as it has an on/off valve with a handle that will not move to turn on the gas unless the mating fitting is fully engaged.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Install a propane detector if you don't already have one.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
You want more than a "quick disconnect" for the inside of the trailer. If the disconnect seal fails you will have a trailer full of propane. I used this one for my external quick connection as it has an on/off valve with a handle that will not move to turn on the gas unless the mating fitting is fully engaged.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
Yes they are one and the same (with the shutoff). My Jayco pop-up had one outside and one inside. Both were for the stove that was meant to be used either inside or outside.. that's how I ended up with what I have now. So I am just duplicating what was installed by Jayco. They seemed to think it was OK.

Edit: This is of course for short-term occasional use, and never while sleeping.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
I use a wave 3 in my Casita. On a separate project I determined that RV quick disconnects are not the same as UL approved QD's. I discarded all of the RV QD's and went with UL.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK Gray View Post
I use a wave 3 in my Casita. On a separate project I determined that RV quick disconnects are not the same as UL approved QD's. I discarded all of the RV QD's and went with UL.
Can I assume you are referring to the 5LP series of quick (dis)connects?

Outside of the higher pressure rating for the UL approved 5LP connectors, what is the difference? Aren't these intended for high pressure appliances such as a BBQ grill?

The appliances on the Scamp are all low pressure (11-13 inches water column), right? The two stage regulator feeds the entire camper with this low pressure propane.

Are not the low pressure (250 series) quick connects used on many thousands of RVs? I don't mind swapping out my heater pigtail, extension, and connectors if need be, but it will run into a few hundred dollars so I don't want to spend that money if the need is not there.

PS.. How does the Wave work for you? I only used it a few times in a pop-up but it seemed to work well enough.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
QD's

It has been quite a while since I did this homework, so I won't be quoted. It was something to the effect that if the downstream hose caught afire an RV QD would keep flowing gas, but a UL QD would not.
I had my hoses made up by my local hydraulics house, and they supplied the QD's. Look under hose in your yellow pages. You might have a similar vendor to consult with.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

North Carolina
Well my gas man seemed to think the RV Quick Connect was OK and it was an easy install.. a Sturgis Quick connect with a 1/4" Male NPT x 3/8" Male SAE Gas Flare Adapter to mate to the existing flare connection. The QD is mounted to an existing piece of reinforcing wood on the side of the cabinet behind the door (inside) where it is easily accessible. If I decide to stay with this arrangement for heat, then I will drill a hole in the cabinet and use a desk grommet for the hose to the Wave heater.

It was 65 Degrees F here today so no need for the heater, but I fired it up anyway to test it. Yup, I now have heat.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #8

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I added a quick connect to my regulator at the tanks. Has a shut-off lever.
Attached Thumbnails
Quikcon4.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:53 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Install a propane detector if you don't already have one.
Agreed.. I just ordered this one.

In fact everyone with propane on board should use one.. and this one is cheap insurance. A similar model is available that is even cheaper, but requires more space and or a larger cutout for mounting.

It should be good, and the only other one I thought I would buy was more than twice the cost so I choose the cheaper one.

It will be on a separate fused 12 volt line so I can pull the fuse when the trailer is in storage (and propane tank removed) to save the drain on the battery.

Tags
propane