Propane Meter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I just got 2 of this brand... seems to do well.. I got tired of 'guessing' and didnt want to run out of propane ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	gaslow.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	19353

Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Knowing some of the physics behind how the gas pressure in a propane cylinder develops, I just can't see how these gauges could provide you with anything more than a general idea of when you are about to (or have) run out of propane. That said, even having just a general idea that you're running low on propane is a good thing, and that information is doubly useful when you have two propane bottles. Knowing when one has run low and it's time to switch over could come in really handy.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #17
Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe
Knowing some of the physics behind how the gas pressure in a propane cylinder develops, I just can't see how these gauges could provide you with anything more than a general idea of when you are about to (or have) run out of propane...
The physics I suspect Peter is referring to is that as long as there is liquid propane left in the tank, the pressure inside the tank is only a function of temperature. Once the liquid is gone, the pressure will decrease rapidly as the remaining propane vapor is depleted. I have one of these gauges on my BBQ grill and the gauge doesn't move until just before the tank is empty.

Also, be careful how much weight you hang from those plastic propane connectors. They've been known to break off due to fatigue as you're going down the road. I had converted my camper over to the convenient plastic knobs used with the new-style tanks, then converted the camper right back to the old-fashioned wrench-tightened brass fittings after a fellow Scamper told me about the problems he had with the plastic knobs breaking on the highway.

Pat J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 AM   #18
Trailer: Boler 13 ft
After reading all the posts I was sure I would have found one who had a problem with them as I did.
I had one on my Camper all last year and it worked fine and a friend liked it so much I gave him mine.
It was the same one pictured above, the >GASLOW< and I got mine at Wal*Mart.
I saw him on our next weeks camping trip and he had installed it and when he went to turn his gas on...there was none.
The male end of the guage didn't extend far enough into his 30# bottle far enough to make a seal.
Him being a little deaf he didn't hear gas leaking...good thing they do not smoke!!!!!
I said maybe the 30# tanks were not set up the same as the 20#s so I took it back and he switch over to his full tank and he was OK for the night.
I put it on my new 20# tank and sure enough it leaked....
I retro fited end with a gas fitting and did away with the large plastic nut and it worked fine.
I purchased another one and.....same problem.
When large black nut was tight...the nipple did not extend far enough into tank to make a tight seal.
Anyone else had this problem?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #19
Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We bought one and only use it on the grill but we shut it off between uses which means everytime we start the grill we have to turn on the gas tank and then squeeze the gauge to get it to register again. I was going to get another for the Casita but after hearing you all talk about them I think I'll pass. So far it seems to work well on the grill
Love being Inneggsile
heading sloowly up the eastcoast to our next 2 month (Aug and Sept) camp hosting gig at Camden Hills State Park in Maine
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #20
Trailer: 1983 17.5 ft Bigfoot
Hi all. Just thought i would throw in my 2 cents. My wife bought me a propane indicator called the Propane Genius (she got tired of me running out of propane while barbecueing). It is magnetic and you stick it on the side of the tank near the bottom. It works on temperature differences. It will start chirping when the tank gets low. It says you have about 2hrs. of propane left when this starts. It has saved me lot's of times. Have not tried it on our Bigfoot yet but might get a couple more to try. I think we got it at Home Depot up here. Each time i take it in after the chirping there are still several pounds left in the tank.

Cheers! John.
John Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #21
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
I have had the Costco one for about two years and would buy it again. No it is not flawless but it does give you a good early warning lead time - as long as you look at it once in awhile! Which is fine with me as any warning is better than no warning and running out.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #22
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
After reading a few negative comments on these guages, I decided to watch ours closely over several months (purchased from Sam's Club). Put one on the grill, it has gone down very accurately IMO. FWIW, I frequently forgot to turn the bottle off after BBQing and have never experienced any loss of propane. So now I just leave bottle on all the time (after once giving it the old soapsuds test at the connections.)

Purchase again? You bet! It's a good tool to have!

Having said all that, with the automatic changeover device already on the dual trailer bottles, we have never run out of propane while traveling.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #23
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
This guage reminds me of the depth guage on a sailboat. When it reads 0 your are aground.
Leehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #24
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to JamesBeck

I bought two of these last year and I don't think they work very well at all. I have them for sale. If interested email me.

JamesBeck is offline   Reply With Quote